šŸ”· Geshelli Erish

Only if the 1/8th is balanced. Canā€™t turn unbalanced to balanced with an adapter.

1 Like

Thatā€™s quite overenthusiastic imo. Itā€™s good and it competes competently with the MLP / Gilmore. I do not think it is objectively better than the gilmore in any way shape or form. It does fill a vital role though. It is not nearly as transparent to the dac as the gilmore. Erish is colorless yes, but it has a very analytical bent. Gilmore just does what the dac tells it to do.

1 Like

Anyone got a liquid platinum and Geshelli Erish in house and can do a comparison? Rather curious on this one. Not sure if I wanna buy this due to being only balanced. Using an aeon and t1.2 balanced right now. If you have a t1.2 and both amps and can do an A/B please do let me know.

1 Like

For some reason the code isnā€™t working for me.

I do. Kinda an odd comparison. Iā€™ll do it tomorrow.

1 Like

I do appreciate it. I know itā€™s a strange comparison but when I see people start dropping the LP for this I start to become rather curious. I know some people just donā€™t like the sound of tubes though. I was curious on the comparison since I use a few balanced headphones

I think itā€™s no longer valid.

I think a lot of this has to do with zeos review/pitch and not so much the unit itself. I wouldnā€™t be too concerned about this amp maintaining a following. The LP has earned its spot as a solid amp and I doubt youā€™re missing anything.

I think the target here is people who donā€™t have other balanced gear and want to get into it.

The extremely limited I/O on gishelli gear seems like a very odd compromise.

Maybe someone can explain the thought behind gishelli gear having this limitation and being sold in project boxes? Itā€™s definitely a specific look, donā€™t get me wrong, I really like the purple of the erish. Iā€™m genuinely curious, not trying to start a fight

hmm, I guess you have a point. Though, I am always interested in hearing opinions of potential other amp selections ya know? Liquid Plat may be great but thereā€™s always something better found in this hobby or for certain tastes.Been trying to study what would be some of the best budget setups so I can help friends of mine out as well so when I seen someone tossing a liquid plat for this and itā€™s strictly balanced I of course began to wonder about it.

1 Like

I totally agree. Good to get a sense of whatā€™s out there. Youā€™re a good friend

To give you some insight, here was my thought process.

Im trying to upgrade my asus stu, especially as it has had electronic noises going through it next to my computer.

I decided i wanted to go balanced to reduce any noise from computer, lights, etc so i went with the dx7 pro and figuring i can upgrade an amp later and/or get a tube amp for the hd6xx. I didnt think the erish would come out so soon but it did and for the $180 ill go with it.

The end game thought was to have a detailed, super clean, hopefully not sterile solid state signal chain and have that same dac be able to push to a tube amp to wrap my ears in a warm fuzzy flannel on a rainy sunday morning.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Iā€™m fairly new here (and this is my first post) so please be gentleā€¦ :sweat_smile:

I watched aggieā€™s review of the Erish paired with the DT880 600 ohm and he demonstrated that there was more than enough power for these headphones. (https://youtu.be/7sSlA9DY6h4)

Do you think this is a good combination for gaming? or will I get better soundstage, separation, sibilant suppression (LOL), etc with the Asgard 3 or Liquid Platinum?

(PS. Iā€™ve already modded my DT880 600 ohm with a balanced cable so thatā€™s not a limiting factor.)

1 Like

the DT880 600ohm have a treble spike that many find uncomfortable, so it often gets paired with a warm amp, if not DAC.

3 Likes

I would say the asgard3 or liquid plat would be better than the erish for those headphones. The erish would bring out that treble peak more i think and the asgard3 or lp would smooth it out. Especially with a warmer dac. Maybe an EL Dac.

1 Like

Given the difference in quality of single ended output vs balanced on the Liquid Plat, and the 880 being single ended only, the Asgard may be the best route without going into a higher tier. If he was running them off of the Erish, they must have been modded to be balanced, in which case the Liquid Plat would be a good option.

That saidā€¦if you donā€™t want to mess with modding if thatā€™s the headphone you want, for similar price range of the Liquid Plat, you could get something along the lines of a Gilmore Lite MkII, Lake People G111, or even RNHP. They may not be quite as warm as the Asgard, but should have adequate single ended power (may be pushing the limits of the RNHP and possibly Gilmore).

1 Like

He did mod to be balanced

1 Like

just some listening results with Hifiman Arya compared to the 789 (using the su-8 and trying to volume match as good as possible)

death - voice of the soul (from 789 to erish)
on the erish the plucking of the guitar strings sound way more intense and plastic*ā€¦ tonality is generally a bit brighter. separation between the guitar tracks seems better, too, in the busy parts. the bass seems a bit less boomy but not attenuated

• plastic in the sense of ā€œtouchableā€ā€¦ so yeah, thatā€™s a good thing here

coldplay - viva la vida (from erish to 789)
itā€™s really hard to tell any difference without being able to switch between the amps instantaneouslyā€¦ the erish might have a slight edge in the mids but the perceived differences are so minute that Iā€™d attribute them more to my inability to exactly volume match both

1778-L - N U / V E R / K A
erish leading very plastically to the dropā€¦ and executes it nicely, too :slight_smile: 789 seems smoother, more relaxed leading into the dropā€¦ overall warmer and darkerā€¦ in fact, it feels super slow compared to the erishā€¦ here the sound signature difference is pretty obviousā€¦ thereā€™s way more bass and way less crispness and spark in the trebleā€¦ going back to the erish I notice how the background track is better defined and widerā€¦ staging is better, more layeredā€¦ even in this track!! bass is still authoritativeā€¦ overall sound is a bit brighterā€¦ not sure if the 789 sucks in treble or the erish attenuates bass just enough to make this track sound way better than it does on the 789

Daft Punk - Within (tidal)
the piano sounds more harsh on the 789 / more natural on the erishā€¦ in particular it sounds more distorted (on the 789) in the moments in the beginning when keys are hit harderā€¦ the same thing continues when the cymbal hitsā€¦ on the 789 that cymbal is a bit more articulate but the vocals are a bit more sibilant and the elements of the track donā€™t seem to harmonize as wellā€¦ the sparkle in the chimes definitely go to the erish

Hans Zimmer - Mountains
erish: the subsonic parts are cleanly executed without attenuating the fine details of the instruments playing before the start of the crescendoā€¦ the background is as black as the dac would allow itā€¦ dynamics are unaffected throughout the crescendo
789: right from the start there seems to be an audible noise floorā€¦ subsonic parts feel decoupled from the restā€¦ even before going into the crescendo the warmer and darker impression over the erish continuesā€¦ instruments seem less plastic, less separatedā€¦ wowā€¦ even at the first plateau of the crescendo at around 2 minutes there is hints of dynamic compressionā€¦ itā€™s not much but nevertheless it doesnā€™t seem to play as easily as the erishā€¦ towards the end, once the organ sets in, compression increases and the choire sounds smeared compared to the erish

8 Likes

What headphones are you using for this comparison? Interesting results. Sounds like youā€™re really enjoying it.

Also, that case color + cable is so dope!!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using Hifiman Arya for this comparison.

2 Likes

@Pr3ssAltF4 Would you say this amp is adequate enough to drive the focal clears? I know on several occasions mon has stated that between the elex and clear, you need a solid enough amp to hear the improvements in the clears. You may not have the elex, but the elegia make work similarly in that regard. Do you still feel that with the clears this amp can still compete with your higher amps?

2 Likes