Get AMPed! WaveTheory's Roundup of (most) <$200 Head Amps

I don’t know enough about the Modi Multibit other than Schiit was going to phase it out until the AKM fire happened. Personally, I would avoid overspending on a DAC unless you fall all the way down the rabbit hole or have specific connectivity needs.

Thanks for the input!

Decided to buy an Asgard 3 w/ a Modi 3+ for added flexibility. Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Nice! Hope you enjoy and looking forward to hearing your impressions. This should also give you the flexibility of going Asgard 3 + Bifrost 2 in the future if you ever want to upgrade. It’s also another great stack.

1 Like

That is (eventually) the plan!

A question about drivers …

Currently, I have my JDS Atom amp/dac connected to my Windows 10 PC. I did install the XMOS drivers for the dac unit. Should I uninstall these drives once my Modi 3+ arrives? I was curious if it would cause interference issues or not.

Thanks!

Nope you will be fine. I was running an Atom before my first Schiit DAC. The Schiit won’t need any driver install - it just works. Though for best practice sakes- if you are not keeping the Atom I would remove the drivers, just because. No need to have unused drivers hanging around.

Congrats.

I have had the Asgard 3 for a little over a week now. I also purchased a Modi 3+ along with the A3.

My chain: Windows PC > Tidal/Local 16/44 FLAC files > Modi 3+ > A3 > HD600.

Modi 3+ – Great little DAC! I am coming from a Atom DAC. I did switch between the two and I really couldn’t tell much of a difference between the two. Maybe just a slight warmth with the Modi 3+, but I am picking at straws at this point. I do like the convenience of Schiit’s unison USB. Great sound quality and it is a set-it and forget it kinda thing for me. It turns on when my PC starts and shuts off when I switch off my PC.

Asgard 3 – Wow, just wow. I had to give this a bit of time to “break in” (few days) and the slight warmth, heft, and width of the sound is truly a step up from the Atom amp. In comparison, the Atom amp (great amp btw), feels a bit hollow now. The A3 is going to be my main amp moving forward! I did notice that if you let the unit warm up for a bit, it sounds better!

The Modi 3+ looks like bit funny on top my A3 due to the mismatch sizes! Hmm, thinking about possibly purchasing a Modius. Has anyone heard both the Modi 3+ and the Modius? I am wondering if is just a side upgrade or not. I would like a Bifrost 2, but the cost kinda hurts right now!

Happy to answer any questions!

Peace.

3 Likes

You know, these past few days since I have ordered a BF2, I have been franticly researching what amp I want to upgrade to next.

After really thinking about it, I have decided to stick with my A3 for now. It is really a great amp, and I want to see how I like it with my BF2 once it arrives. I have heard it is a good pairing.

Eventually, I will look for a balanced amp to try out with the BF2.

1 Like

That is an excellent decision, you already have an amp that is known to have good synergy with the BF2. You absolutely should give it a listen for a while before determining if you want to upgrade/replace it. I have an extreme level of confidence you will enjoy that match-up.

I followed a similar path. Having an A3 with the BF2 was a great combo, but when I decided I wanted to try balanced options for headphones I had that were balanced ready, and for some that I was interested in buying, I began to think about replacing the A3, but couldn’t at the time. I liked it that much and knew it worked with the gear I had. So, I went down the path of getting a Liquid Platinum. A balanced amplifier also known to have good synergy with the BF2. This allowed me to have “balanced” and SE options from the BF2. I was able to keep the A3 I already adored and to expand into balanced options and as a plus, experiment with tubes - to an extent. The Liquid Platinum is a “Hybrid” tube amp meaning the front input stage is tube the output stage is SS, giving you a taste “tubeyness”. By changing out the tubes you can tune the sound signature to a degree. Not as dramatic as non hybrid amp but still effective.

I’m not attempting to convince you to go that route vs another, just pointing out one option to example the versatility of your current investment with your kit and ways to enhance that without forfeiting that investment, or at minimum, reduce the impact against that investment.

Listen to the Music!
:notes:

1 Like

Thanks, @Delta9K! All great ideas for the future. I think I should follow my own advice sometimes. Be happy with what you have!

I received my Bifrost 2 yesterday! Still letting it settle in with my A3. So far, very impressed. Someone here said that B2 makes it easier to hear sounds, I totally agree with that!

Just curious, what is that clicking sound I hear when sample rates change?

1 Like

Congratz on the Bf2+A3 - very nice stack!

I had the same questions - check this out. use the down arrow to expand the post.

1 Like

That’s very interesting. My Bifrost 2 doesn’t do any clicking when I have nothing playing and start a track.

Depends on what you’re music player does.
Windows will by default resample everything to the same rate, so you’ll never hear the muting relay.
If your player supports exclusive mode, and bothers changing the sampling rate (i.e. not Amazon music), and you have it set, you’ll hear it when it changes sampling rates.

1 Like

I did not mean to hijack or swerve this thread off topic, I apologize.
I made a mistake by replying to this thread with a reply to the Bifrost 2 question. This thread is about a roundup of <$200 amps.

The question asked about the Bifrost 2, and loads of other discussion points around that piece are being discussed in the thread; Schiit Bifrost 2, where we should go to discuss the BF2, and leave this thread and discussions to be relevant to its title.

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks!

Super helpful review! Confused me to no end that the Magnius and the Asgard 3 are the same price. Pretty much covered all the amps I was looking into. Thanks for the review @WaveTheory

I’m surprised on how well the Liquid Spark works with DT880s. I’ve been looking at those headphones and trying to find an amp that will work well with them. They really work that well together? I was leaning toward and Asgard to be set for a while and handle the DT880s, but if the Spark handles them that well, it might be worth saving some money for now? Not sure if I’ll be getting any other high impedence headphones in the future. Anyone have more info on how the DT880s pair with the Spark?

1 Like

Thank you!

To be clear, the Spark handles the DT880 the least badly of the entry-level amps, IMO. You really need an Asgard 3 to start hearing what that headphone is all about. The reason is the Spark is warmer and smoother than Atom or Heresy and the DT880 is brutally exacting in the treble, at least for its price. As with everything in this hobby, tho, YMMV.

4 Likes

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I was trying to figure out why I kept seeing the Spark recommended for the DT880s. I’ll stick with the Asgard 3 then.

1 Like