Gizaudio IEM Discussion Lounge (Ranking, Impressions, News)

Yup buy some tuning foams and filters.
I rec some foams in farious sizes and filters in 3 4.5mm, 4.8, 5mm and 400 and 500 mostly level

.https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPkmg2W

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mORbWmO

Some 3M Micropore and Transpore Tape

2 Likes

Foam gang insists you do it [2] I think it might be useful for some with treble sensitivities.

I tend to prefer IEMs with nozzles just so I can slap foams in them to tweak the lower-mid to upper-treble region. Four of mine currently sport them. I’ll usually level them out at the entrance of the nozzle so they sit flush with the opening, and I haven’t found them to shift position when jostling the IEMs around with regular use.
_

For foams which I regularly use, these are my usual assortment. They work for the larger nozzles like Simgot’s, but if you need something smaller these might be it (found out the one seller I sourced the small foams from stopped selling them.) Generally, the denser the foam the further down you bring the pinna region. While I can’t speak for the stick-on tuning dampers from experience, I know they have a similar effect looking at graphs.

1 Like

@ToneDeafMonk @comfylife thanks! Just made the purchase :fire:

2 Likes

Taking an ex-lover out for a spin around the block :smiling_imp:
#MonarchMK2

8 Likes

Brave man, I stopped taking my Monarchs outside over a year ago. Losing them or dropping them and breaking them would be heart breaking.

4 Likes

Well lucky you I have compilled a list of some mods here:

6 Likes

This is mega useful, thank you :pray:

3 Likes

Tuning vs. Technical Performance. Which is more subjective? And why?

3 Likes

Tuning, because good/bad is reliant on your own HRTF and your library.

3 Likes

Interesting question, but I think tuning is more subjective. Different ear anatomy (HRTF), taste in music and what you value in the FR has such an impact on how one perceives the tuning in an IEM.

2 Likes

This will be fun but Im going Tech performance. Now hear me out

While a the overall tuning of a set being “good” or “bad” is very subjective, the individual parts of a tuning (bass, mids, treble, etc) is usually less so and can be easily explained by HRTF. Also while its not wholly objective I think its move objective when a tuning is “good” for library and “bad” for another.

Now technicalities imo are extremely subjective in that

• There is no common definition for technical features. Ask 5 people to explain dynamics and you will get 6 answers
  • Interpretation of stage is all over the place; for some sets I have heard people describe the stage from intimate to massive and open.
  • Stage size is purely preferential and is not impacted by library and HRTF. Some people love small stages, some desire a grand hall. I also don’t get why we always consider bigger is better for stage size
  • Imaging is super subjective as well. Most people say the HD600s are 3 blob but then you hear people talking about how they can close their eyes and see everything laid out in exact detail
  • detail retrieval - highly dependent on the mastering of what you are listening and impacted greatly by tuning which is impacted by HRTF so again pretty subjective.

TL;DR - tuning is subjective but the dimensions it is subjective across are well known and relatively discreet (library and HRTF) whereas technicalities is way more unclear and misunderstood.

EDIT: Also if you are in the camp of “all the info is in the FR” than tuning dictates technicalities so techs can be no less subjective than tuning. If you are in the came of “FR doesn’t capture tuning” than that means tuning has psuedo objective data in the form of FR whereas technicalities is a complete blackbox that is open to interpretation

8 Likes

I think in the vast amount of cases you’re onto it that large vs. small stage is overblown. But it does matter on tracks that we’re produced with important staging elements. Intimate soundstage on a song that should have width, depth, and/or height is distracting af

4 Likes

I 100% agree

At least when comparing IEMs I have found the difference between intimate and open stage is so small I have never had an issue with what you described unless the set has garbage imaging. On a track mixed for that atmospheric type of effect even a set with intimate stage does well to my ear as long as the imaging is pinpoint. stage sets the “limits” of the width, depth and height but without good imaging everything sounds layered, small and flat. Not to mention I have found tips have a bigger impact on tuning stage than any other characteristic.

EDIT: Here is another perfect example of the subjectivity of technicalities!

8 Likes

YES! THIS! I agree 100%.
Though both tuning and tech are hugely subjective, I also believe Tech is way more subjective for the same reasons you stated.

4 Likes

It’s a Mirai kind of day

6 Likes

From my experience I found imaging/staging to be 100% subjective because it depends on hrtf and canal size/shape.

1 Like

At least tuning preferences can be explained with words and library can be listed (like what HBB does) which helps with objectivity in a way

I feel from reading impressions and comparing them, tuning is more subjective than technicalities.

Things I often see people agreeing with at least in a general sense:

• Roughly how open/wide the stage is.
  • Roughly how well the set does imaging
  • Speed of bass
  • Degree of bass bleed (regardless of whether their preference regarding it)

Things I see having completely different responses from people despite being the same set:

• Treble extension
  • Bass extension
  • Warm or not
  • Thin or thick
  • Good for x vocals
  • Sibilance in:
    • Pinna gain
    • 8k region
    • 2-3k region

Both will be subjective because anything that creates a technical effect in our head is based on contrasts in frequencies etc, and the shape of our inner ear and other factors affects that. But those things effect sensitivities to peaks and troughs more…

Different people might say the treble is perfect or the treble is too much or too little
But no one will have the illusion of a large stage if treble cuts out at 7-8k

I haven’t thought too hard about this, I imagine it’s possible some of my tuning bullet points would be considered technicality points :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

Double review of the new Dunu endgames. I’ll most likely do a deeper dive written review in the future as well.

9 Likes

In short
Glacier…ummm…no!
Mirai…ummm…maybe not!! :nerd_face:

5 Likes