RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Unknown. More than my ears fan handle at least. :smirk:

1 Like

I’m really not sure why I did this. For the same price I could have a decent cable with the PAC earbuds for free thanks to Penon’s offer, and I haven’t been able to pull the trigger on that… yet withing a few minutes, I did decide to buy this:

I guess it supports charity and a DIYer in Taiwan. I have no idea what to expect sonically…

Any insights on a 150 ohm (but apparently sensitive?) driver made by Fostex?

I guess I’m always drawn to unicorns no one’s really heard, like the DM at the time I bought it, or the Lotoo LE M1.

They sell some interesting doohickeys I wouldn’t know the use for.

“Using Fostex custom ordered 150 Ohm high impedance drivers.”

Ask the seller i guess…

Ok sure, I didn’t know if you’d have heard anything about a driver with those specs working with DIY projects - for example I had not idea what a “red dot” driver was before your posts. Thanks!

1 Like

I rarely trust the claims the driver specifies. But I havent seen any 150 ohm Fostex drivers.

Most bud driver seems to come from 1 or 2 OEM only and one of them (QIGOM) got caught with their graphene “coated” headphone drivers.

3 Likes

2022-05-14: Mods master list.

A compiled list of all my mods. Sorted by difficulty.

Easy = no risks to the transducer, very low cost, and children can do this.
Medium = at worst might need to replace a small part (filters, tips, etc), and might need a little bit of concentration.
Hard = Damage to the transducer is possible, proceed at your own risk.

Level - Easy

DIY foam mod

Materials: 50pcs Flat Headphone Sponge Cover Bass Earphone Eartips Dustproof Red Blue Black White Colors Foam Covers|Earphone Accessories| - AliExpress

Instructions: Try this: RikudouGoku's Foam Mod for Taming Treble Peaks - YouTube

Effect: Reduces peaks in the upper-mids/lower-treble depending on the size used. Might also increase the bass shelf as a side effect. But primarily used when the iem is too peaky and you want a low cost and zero risk mod. (If you are satisfied with the sound, you can put some glue on the foam so it is more secure.)

Filter mod (easy version)

Materials: 20pcs Diy Earphones Tuning Paper Damping Front Shell Filter Mesh Increase Low Frequency - Earphone Accessories - AliExpress

Instructions: Add another layer of filters on top of the stock filter already on the iem. Higher number = higher density → more dampening → higher effect. Can use the XY filters but the filters Tanchjim includes in their iems also work (substitute for the 500 filter).

Effect: Used to reduce upper-mids/lower-treble. Can also affect the bass shelf with a small boost.

Vent mod

Materials: Blutack, micropore tape or: 50pcs Earphones DIY Tuning Papers Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4 Y5 Y6 Earphones Driver Tuning Cotton Adhesive Pads|Earphone Accessories| - AliExpress

Instructions: Put your chosen material over the inner vent on the iem (usually the vent that is the closest to the nozzle).

Effect: Different levels of bass boost, denser = bigger effect. A full seal material like Blutack or regular tape will have the most change. Do keep in mind that with a full seal material, it is likely that pressure build-up will appear.

Impedance mod

Materials: DUNU Original Earphone Impedance Plug Jack/Adapter Converter 75 Ohm /150 Ohm / 200 Ohm — HiFiGo

Instructions: Just connect the impedance adapter to your cable.

Effect: Depends on the iem, usually used on BA or hybrids (with a BA) to change the whole FR.

Koss KPH30i Mod

Instructions: Block 2 vents on the shell using material that gives blocks 100% (I used electrical tape), specifically on the side that is facing the “outside” when you are wearing it.

Effect: Tightens the bass, adds texture with a minor bass decrease.

Level – Medium

Tuning foams

Materials: (20pcs)diy Earbuds Repair Parts Earphone Front Cavity Tuning Cotton Tuning Sponge Headphone Tuning - Earphone Accessories - AliExpress For Sony Earphone Damping Sponge In-eare Dustproof Spong, Filter Sound Cotton Net Tuning, Z5 Exk N3ap Noise Reduction (10 Pairs) - Earphone Accessories - AliExpress

Instructions: Remove the stock filter and insert a piece of tuning foams (do not need to put the stock filter back on). Do be aware if the stock filter is acting as a dampener or possibly have another filter stacked under it with damping effects. This could mean that you need to take that into consideration before you do this mod, but not a problem if you compensate by just put a XY filter on top of the tuning foams after.

Effect: Mainly reduces peaks in the upper-mids/lower-treble, with the usual bass shelf boost as well, also tends to add some note-weight into the iem and could help with metallic treble timbre.

Filter mod (medium version)

Materials: Diy 3.7mm-5mm Headphone Mesh Filter For In Ear Headphones Metal Mesh Sound Filter Mesh - Earphone Accessories - AliExpress 20pcs Diy Earphones Tuning Paper Damping Front Shell Filter Mesh Increase Low Frequency - Earphone Accessories - AliExpress For Sony Earphone Damping Sponge In-eare Dustproof Spong, Filter Sound Cotton Net Tuning, Z5 Exk N3ap Noise Reduction (10 Pairs) - Earphone Accessories - AliExpress

Instructions: Remove the stock filter and replace it with a regular filter or a filter with damping like the XY filter. For some specific iems (like the CRA), you can remove the stock filter, insert a tuning foam (Sony general version) and then add a 500 filter on top.

Effect: Depending on the iem, the stock filter might have too much damping, thus making it overly warm, bloated, or lacking technicalities. By replacing it with a filter with no damping or less, these issues can be alleviated.

Level – Hard

Knowles damper mod

Materials: 2PCS Balanced Armature Damping Damper Plugs filters Knowles Acoustic Dampers for Shure Se215 se315 se425 se535 Se846 TF10 LM5144|Ear Care| - AliExpress + Damper Mounting Tool For Knowles Damping Plugs Filters Installation And Dismounting Tool Part - Ear Care - AliExpress

Instructions: For some iems, you might be able to add or change the BA damper. Audiosense T800 is one such model. Where you insert a damper in the nozzle with the help of the damper tool.

Effect: Upper-mids/treble change.

12 Likes

Super helpful - thanks man!

2 Likes

Next Level – Abyss : possibility of destroying the planet :joy:

1 Like

Are these still available? How do they compare to the Lancer 1?
Thanks, Lloyd

They got sold out.

They are pretty different from the Lancer 1.
Bass is more mid-bass focused than sub-bass, warmer tonality overall which makes male vocals better, female vocals are not as forward but safer, treble is a bit less airy and bright. Stage is much deeper while width is comparable. Its more versatile and I do personally prefer the tonality of the Grand Rider 1 more than the Lancer 1.

4 Likes

Well, damn, hidden gem from 2014.

4 Likes

Rider 1

Warm-neutral/mid-bass-boosted-neutral; mid-bass boost with lots of texture, vocals are on the warmer side and neutral, treble is smooth and airy, massive stage (balanced with great width and depth) and excellent timbre

Stock: 2 left. (Red L/R and White L/R shell, blue is gone.)

Will also mention that there is one unit of the Archer 1 available.
Same cable as the above, in black shell.

3 Likes

What is the difference between the Rider 1 and Grand Rider 1?

Rider 1 MX500 32ohm N52 Blue Glu 50 EUR Warm-neutral/mid-bass-boosted-neutral; mid-bass boost with lots of texture, vocals are on the warmer side and neutral, treble is smooth and airy, massive stage (balanced with great width and depth) and excellent timbre

Grand Rider 1 MX500 130ohm Beryllium 100 EUR Warm-neutral: slight mid-bass boost with lots of texture, vocals are slightly on the warmer side and neutral, treble is smooth and airy, current stage king (balanced with great width and depth) and excellent timbre

What is the difference between the Rider 1 and Grand Rider 1?

About 50 EUR

5 Likes

@GGSuperMe to add to this with how @Rikudou_Goku described the Rider against the Grand Rider to me:

Shares a lot of similarities with the Grand version the differences I say are, less upper-treble sparkle, slightly warmer female vocals, slightly more sub-bass. Stage is pretty close but just a tad smaller due it not being as airy (slightly).

3 Likes

see the answers above.

(oh and dont take the bud graphs seriously lol.)

2 Likes

You telling me I need one more??

2 Likes

Are any Grand Rider 1’s available? What are the differences between Rider 1 and Archer 1?

Sold out.

Archer is brighter, more treble and upper-mids, less bass

Something is erupting today. :wink:

4 Likes