šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Still not sure if itā€™s brighter than a beyer or if I just had my volume that loud that one time because it hasnā€™t happened since. I have a habit of volume creep the more im getting into something.

I have dt 880s and they can get peaky in the highs but I have only took out the glued paper still have the 2 papers in the grill. I might take 1 more out to see if thereā€™s a difference in sound. I just need something in there so Iā€™m not worrying about dust.

Some thoughts,

Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that, I wish I bought these at their used price like my other headphones.

Iā€™m keeping these because I enjoy them a lot on my ifi micro bl with bass and 3d switched on.

I prefer the gl2k on the micro bl mainly because I actually find the highs to be a bit much for me when I listen to them on the asgard 3. Sounds just a bit sharp on the asgard. The micro bl gives them nice warmth while still keeping it all sounding coherent? And making them sound more musical to me.

Asgard 3 makes these sound more clear and bright to me on high gain compared to the micro bl. They donā€™t sound as musical in this combo. I feel I notice more resolution with the asgard 3 but isnā€™t as enjoyable for me compared to the micro bl maybe because it doesnā€™t sound as musical for my taste. Ymmv.

The emotiva basx a100 less sharp and less technical and maybe more mid forward but I like it enough to the point where Iā€™d gladly plug in.

I donā€™t like how heavy they are because they slip off my head if im doing activities. Otherwise, I donā€™t notice the weight and the balance seems nice.

What will get me to upgrade from these would be a pair of headphones at around the same price with big, wide, deep soundstage, maybe a change in vocal presentation, and maybe a warmer tuning to the sound.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve spent even more time with both my GL2000 and T60 Argon. I am still impressed by both in a way. So the sound stage of both is equally wide, but the GL2000 are big in height as well. I dunno how to describe itā€¦ listening to Avatarā€™s movie score on the Argons brings me to the very wide screen of cinema, while the GL2000 actually sends me at the actual stage between the big and tall walls and floating rocks of Iknimaya, experiencing its airy ambients.
If GL2000, with that sound stage, had the better technical performance of the Argonsā€¦ they would be amazing imo. Iā€™m still debating on keeping the GL2000, I would be missing that relaxing tuning and grand stage.
And if Aryas surpass both of them much more, then I guess my collection ainā€™t complete yet.

5 Likes

I will commit to modding this thing. Any tips?

@senegalas

I heard that removing that felt cushion might increase treble but not sure. But why is it npt there on original

Honestly it looks like that felt is just there to silence the pad adapter.

Why?
10 characters

Yeah what happened?

I understand all of the polarizing reviews on these headphones.

Iā€™ve had them for two days now and they are my favorite and least favorite at the same time. I love the sound stage and clarity. Butā€¦ They are incredibly fatiguing to me. I get a massive headache after wearing them for more than 30 minutes.

The only other headphone that does this is the Koss bt540i, except it sounds like ass.

Why? Why do these hurt so good? Itā€™s almost slightly nauseating.

2 Likes

Alright, I managed to get a pair of these, ā€œsecond hand.ā€ Person didnā€™t like them and barely used them. WITH the right amp and dac pairing they are lovely and I get no fatigue from them. I am using them with the RME ADI-2 and my Liquid Gold X.

2 Likes

These sheepskin pads might be a nice upgrade
ā‚¬ 10,95 27%OFF | Angled Sheepskin Leather Perforated Ear Pads Round Earpad 80MM 85MM 90MM 95 100MM 105MM 110MM Headphones Soft Memory Foam

Also does putting foam in earpads hold in place nicely? Perhaps better to put it behind that ring mechanism or behind pads

i put felt behind my pads after the mod to tone down the treble a bit and it works great. i pulled off the pad adapter and cut out a piece of felt just a hair smaller than the pad adapter and the pads hold it in place.

My theory is that the perceived detail and clarity comes from the dry timbre, which sucks out the emotion in instruments and voices, which results in you hearing some sounds instead of a voice and a guitar for example. I think some headphones go for being fun, and this is the polar opposite. This is made to impress with its technicalities

1 Like

Huh they are not even that detailed tbh. My modded m1060C has more clarity and detail. Thatā€™s why I am disappointed in GL

Post mod they are hyper analytical and extremely detailed almost to a fault but I personally love it.

I get that same feeling on some amps with the gl2000. Might be your amp? I think I found my gl2k fatigue with my xd-05 and sometimes with the asgard 3. Those those 2 amps, I canā€™t listen for long hours but that changes if I run it on the tube amp or ifi micro bl, those amps make them nice and laid back enough for me where I donā€™t feel as if the highs are annoying and I forget they are on until they slip off my head.

Man, thatā€™s disappointing. I wish I had done some more research on what ā€œfunā€ headphones to get instead of ones that are analytical.

1 Like