šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Got these in from drop, not even going to bother opening the box upā€¦ if anybodys interested in buying these brand new without the massive wait timesā€¦ let me knowā€¦ will sell them at the same price as drop just to get my money back. USA only

drop is still refusing the return despite others having success on their incorrect claims on the build

1 Like

Check Hifishark and filter your results to your region

1 Like

Im Looking to sell mine in the UK but yeah usually check out eBay or head fi

Thx, will check it out.

Man i hate brexit, but thx for the other infos.

1 Like

Got my pair in. Ended up getting a refund agreement + RMA label from Drop so theyā€™re going back. First impressions: positioning is neat, bass is controlled not bloatedā€¦ Would not pay 3x the price of my dt880s for these personally.
Edit: they are impressively forward and detail focused though, I will give them that
Edit2: I would have no problems with this headphone for $300-$400, thereā€™s some weird vocal quirks but at $350 Iā€™d be happy

2 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, and I know I sound like a broken record on this one, I sold my Aryaā€™s and anandas because after modding them they just do everything they both do but better imo. If you already have them set to return, try the mod and see what you think and put them back together and return them if you hate it still. You have basically nothing to lose. The detail is a big step up from basically every sub $1000 headphones Iā€™ve ever heard and the soundstage is second to none. @bogwater

I will have to mod it too because stock it loses to my modded m1060C. You basically removed those tunning papers and that glued
Paper? But brighter than beyers doesnā€™t sound yhat good. So not sure

Theyā€™re already on their way back but thanks for the suggestion @Pokrog

Still not sure if itā€™s brighter than a beyer or if I just had my volume that loud that one time because it hasnā€™t happened since. I have a habit of volume creep the more im getting into something.

I have dt 880s and they can get peaky in the highs but I have only took out the glued paper still have the 2 papers in the grill. I might take 1 more out to see if thereā€™s a difference in sound. I just need something in there so Iā€™m not worrying about dust.

Some thoughts,

Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that, I wish I bought these at their used price like my other headphones.

Iā€™m keeping these because I enjoy them a lot on my ifi micro bl with bass and 3d switched on.

I prefer the gl2k on the micro bl mainly because I actually find the highs to be a bit much for me when I listen to them on the asgard 3. Sounds just a bit sharp on the asgard. The micro bl gives them nice warmth while still keeping it all sounding coherent? And making them sound more musical to me.

Asgard 3 makes these sound more clear and bright to me on high gain compared to the micro bl. They donā€™t sound as musical in this combo. I feel I notice more resolution with the asgard 3 but isnā€™t as enjoyable for me compared to the micro bl maybe because it doesnā€™t sound as musical for my taste. Ymmv.

The emotiva basx a100 less sharp and less technical and maybe more mid forward but I like it enough to the point where Iā€™d gladly plug in.

I donā€™t like how heavy they are because they slip off my head if im doing activities. Otherwise, I donā€™t notice the weight and the balance seems nice.

What will get me to upgrade from these would be a pair of headphones at around the same price with big, wide, deep soundstage, maybe a change in vocal presentation, and maybe a warmer tuning to the sound.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve spent even more time with both my GL2000 and T60 Argon. I am still impressed by both in a way. So the sound stage of both is equally wide, but the GL2000 are big in height as well. I dunno how to describe itā€¦ listening to Avatarā€™s movie score on the Argons brings me to the very wide screen of cinema, while the GL2000 actually sends me at the actual stage between the big and tall walls and floating rocks of Iknimaya, experiencing its airy ambients.
If GL2000, with that sound stage, had the better technical performance of the Argonsā€¦ they would be amazing imo. Iā€™m still debating on keeping the GL2000, I would be missing that relaxing tuning and grand stage.
And if Aryas surpass both of them much more, then I guess my collection ainā€™t complete yet.

5 Likes

I will commit to modding this thing. Any tips?

@senegalas

I heard that removing that felt cushion might increase treble but not sure. But why is it npt there on original

Honestly it looks like that felt is just there to silence the pad adapter.

Why?
10 characters

Yeah what happened?

I understand all of the polarizing reviews on these headphones.

Iā€™ve had them for two days now and they are my favorite and least favorite at the same time. I love the sound stage and clarity. Butā€¦ They are incredibly fatiguing to me. I get a massive headache after wearing them for more than 30 minutes.

The only other headphone that does this is the Koss bt540i, except it sounds like ass.

Why? Why do these hurt so good? Itā€™s almost slightly nauseating.

2 Likes

Alright, I managed to get a pair of these, ā€œsecond hand.ā€ Person didnā€™t like them and barely used them. WITH the right amp and dac pairing they are lovely and I get no fatigue from them. I am using them with the RME ADI-2 and my Liquid Gold X.

2 Likes