šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Also, DO NOT trust Zeos, or anyone for that matter blindly. You have been warned. By the way, the GL2000 retails for roughly 450 USD in China including the nice case and cable. Think about how much goes to the actual driver manufacturing

1 Like

So the new Topping L30 came in yesterday. I was also able to run these on the hybrid tube. I have to say, after the EQ, mod (removed everything), and proper power, these sound significantly better than the 560s. Iā€™m surprised that they work well on the tube. Overall, the experience is improving. Will check back in, in a week when brain and physical burn in are done.

1 Like

Glad to see you enjoy them

is it worth it though? you pay 600 then have to totally take them apart void the warranty , completely change the EQ and then they finally are better than a 250 dollar used headphone 560? seems like its better to sell it and get an open box sundara or 5xx for 120$ - 250 for sundara and have perfect freq response. maybe less bass but can EQ. my 5xx with eq has literal sub-woofer sub bass the driver is extremely capable in the newer nano thin diaphragms,

to each their own. i didnt like the gl2k but more so that my friend had been basically either lied to by Z or Z has no ability to review the sound of products. its one or the other and maybe that made me not like them a little more. either way glad you enjoy them more after the mods. modding is fun. you shouldnt have to mod 600 pair though. i think we can all agree on that. at 200? hell yes.

i feel similar about lcd headphones basically require EQ . but they are well designed at least. and are very high performance even without EQ and top teir with EQ which the gl2k and 5xx cant say even after EQ.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that people do some mods on GL2000. What are these mods?

Done by Pokrog

Personally I like it a lot better with the mod!

2 Likes

@Pokrog

Iā€™ve spent a long time reading through this thread and the mod youā€™ve described seems to achieve what Iā€™m looking for so Iā€™m getting ready to give it a goā€¦ But I have a few questions questions / concerns:

1 Dust - you mentioned you left the outer most mesh to protect the driver from dust. Does keeping it (while removing the glued piece) affect the sound in any way?

1. As an alternative would using something like sheer curtain fabric be suitable with a planar driver (Iā€™ve used it before on dynamics. It covers well without any noticeable sound colouration but does fray around the edges when cut). Something like this - Voile Sold by the Metre Sheer Black 150cm (59) Wide by Maple Textiles : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

2. I have the newer version that came with the D pads. I noticed in your mod link that there is the extra mesh around the driver. Did you keep that in or remove it?.

Iā€™ll need to find a felt material to go behind the ear pads to tame the treble. I love crisp highs but thereā€™s limit. Most of all Iā€™m looking forward to clearing up the mids and opening up the stage.

How would you say bass sounds post mod?

Thanks

1 Like

So I would say the outermost mesh is good enough to protect from dust and really doesnā€™t effect anything. I found some 1.6mm felt and used the pad adapter as a stencil and cut just inside the stencil traces and put the felt behind the pad. The felt thatā€™s there already behind the pad adapter can be removed as it is kinda redundant and makes my ear touch inside the pad when you add the felt. Bass after the mod bass is noticeably more refined while keeping that nice texture it had before. Still punchy and very crisp but also still no real ā€œslamā€ like with some harder hitting dynamics but I personally like well controlled bass more than in your face slam anyways so for me itā€™s great. That muddiness across the whole frequency range disappears.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! Iā€™ll let you know how I get on.

Also on a side note, you can totally cut the felt to match the shape behind the pad adapter and actually screw the pad adapter onto the felt to hold the felt in place. Only reason I didnā€™t do that is that I sometimes take the felt out and itā€™s easier to have it behind the pads.

1 Like

Mod doneā€¦ 2 papers gone, kept the external mesh, no felt.

First impressionsā€¦ It hasnā€™t corrected the mids quite to the extent that Iā€™d hoped but it has adjusted it slightly for the better.

What I can say is that the sound definitely feels wider and more holographic than stockā€¦ Iā€™ve never tried the Arya or HD800s but would really love to compare them to the GL2K now for soundstage cos these really feel huge!

No treble issues for me post modā€¦ I probably donā€™t need the felt (unless you (@Pokrog ) think it would further adjust the mids?)ā€¦ I a/bā€™d the stock and then the modded GL2ks against Grado Hemps (which i was also having fun listening to while tinkering with the 2Ks)ā€¦ The treble is tame by comparison to the Hemps no matter what state the 2ks are in (and I love the Hemps)ā€¦

All in all happy with the mod so farā€¦ Will sit with it for a week or so.

What pads are you using and what amp?

Hybrid D pads, and so far Xduoo XD05 Plus, but will move on to the Dethonray Honey and Monolith THX Portable at some pointā€¦

1 Like

Also love how they look now too :smile:

Yeah they really like power. I think they recommend 2w @ 60ohm and I wholeheartedly agree.

1 Like

Dont have access to desktop set up at the momentā€¦ Zen Can (1.8 W), and good old 789ā€¦ I keep pulling back from going for the ifi DSD signature. Need to sell something firstā€¦ (Maybe a kidney?)ā€¦ In the meantime I keep telling myself the Zen Can should be enough

I also have the XD 05 plus didnā€™t realize it would have enough power for the GL2000s or the hemps to be honest?

Itā€™ll get them loud but power really helps bass clarity and helps tone down resonance quite a bit in the treble. Xd05 plus im guessing is around 500mw at 60ohm so about 1/4 of the power gold planar recommends and I think they should have more like 3-4w.

1 Like

Just tested GL2000 on MT-604 - itā€™s great!

1 Like

XD05 plus delivers 1Wā€¦ Still only halff of what is recommended by Gold Planar. definitely gets very loud!

1 Like