šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

I can say that the set that I got were legit (3 ish months ago). They needed over 30 hours of burn in but once they were burnt in, they were brilliant. DMS isnā€™t necessarily wrong in his critique of the headphone though. I found there were artefacts of compression present on a few tracks, noticeable on snare drums particularly. Me being a drummer, it was something I decided I couldnā€™t live with so I moved my GL2000 on but I kind wish I didnā€™t now. They have been the most fun headphone Iā€™ve owned and that list includes LCD-X.

1 Like

I like them. There are a lot of people that still genuinely hate them though. Iā€™m sorry if that doesnā€™t help clarify anything other than highlight that ā€œpeople like what they likeā€.

If youā€™re deciding if these are for you or not, then see if there are headphones that you have tried and find out if there are any reviews for them that match what you think about them and then see that reviewers take on the GL2000s (if they reviewed them) and try gauging from there whether or not itā€™s in your tastes. This is by no means a decent indicator, as the best is trying it out yourself, but for most people that is obviously not an option and is a large reason why there are forums.

2 Likes

I agree. There are plenty of things wrong with these, but at the end of the day they can still be very fun. I have had a few headphones or speakers early in my life, but DMS actually got me into the hobby with the NFB-11 and M1060 (two VERY polarizing items). I find that my tastes have differed over the years with DMS and I tend to agree more with Z.

Iā€™d say if you have to pick one Headphone with one amp, this one may not be for you. But, if this is your 3rd or 4th and you have a wide taste in different genres, the GL2000 can easily compliment your collection. I find myself stepping back from a lot of the critics and grabbing the items I like or are convenient rather than target that perfect sound signature. This hobby is supposed to be fun.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve realized that Iā€™ve always had just various type of neutral in my arsenal (I currently have the Neumann NDH20) so I just want something wild this time. Not just bassy/dark because thatā€™s not what I consider fun in itself, but I mean crazy soundstage, imaging, ā€œholographicā€ placement (to this day I donā€™t know what that means) etc. They can morph my music all they want, as long as they make me smile

(also, the only amp I have is the SMSL SP200 which is neutral as neutral goes, donā€™t know how well these would pair?)

I canā€™t speak for the SMSL, but that is a fair point. I had them on the Topping A90 (Neutral as F) and didnā€™t like them. I bought the Xduoo TA-20 with a nice set of tubes specifically for this reason.

1 Like

I found the GL2000 sound stage and imaging to be impressive. Though the other aspect I remember not being sure about; the centre image seemed too close/drawn in, considering the width and shape of the stage. Iā€™d be tempted to say they they donā€™t do depth particularly well. Though they definitely do do height and width brilliantly. I should caveat that by saying it couldā€™ve been what I was listening to or my chain that gave me that impression of their depth recreation.

3 Likes

So I guess I need to look at amps as well haha

My other (cheaper) option is the harmonicdyne Zeus. Iā€™ve heard those are crazy wide (not much else though). Iā€™ll keep looking

1 Like

What do you typically listen to?

EVERYTHING. Literally
From rock to jazz to pop to hip hop to electronic

EDIT: sorry, only later did I realize the question wasnā€™t directed at me, was reading off my phone <3

2 Likes

I would say I listen to anything. Music with good drumming/drum production is what I ā€œneedā€ in music most of the time. After that, Iā€™d say I lean toward rock most days.

Iā€™ve been reripping my CDs in FLAC recently and hereā€™s what Iā€™ve got so far:

2 Likes

For the sake of clarity, Metallica are not there because I consider Lars a good drummer.

1 Like

GL2000 definite has good detail and soundstage. the bass is also pretty punchy. I actually trying to sell mine so i can review more other gear if your interested in it haha

2 Likes

If you (or anybody from this thread) are from the EU, I just might be interested in buying, PM me! :slight_smile:

lol nvm iā€™m in US, but i think gold planar is a different flavor ananda with the tall drivers and good bass, tuning is obviously a little different more mid focus

1 Like

Tubes and perforated pads. All chain fully balanced.
Limitless soundstage.
Absolutely unbelievable perfect imaging. Every single instrument sits in itā€™s own place, unblemished.
Iā€™m afraid I can possibly start to slightly like my GL2000.

6 Likes

GL2000 + russia tube + Xduoo hybrid is my go to relaxation rig nowadays. I appreciate them a lot more with the tube!

3 Likes

Has anyone created an eq for modded GL2000 (all papers removed) it seems like eqing it to already available graphs when modded does not really work as it becomes overly brigh and even without eq itā€™s somewhat bright. Using stock performated pads rn since AliExpress sheep oversized pads are not as comfortable