šŸ”¶ Grado SR60e / SR80e

Update: the earzonk S-cush pads are just slightly thicker stock S-cush pads that come in red and blue and are a touch more scratchy. The size of the hole in the pads seems to be irrelevant, at least with the earzonk S-cush pads. I cut a 28mm diameter hole in one set and a 31mm diameter (the same as the geekria pads) in the other and there was no perceptible sound change. Also the 31mm hole did not sound the same as the geekria pads.

This means that the only factors left are the material of the pads and the distance they hold the driver away from your ear. Sadly the micropore tape was delayed so I wonā€™t be able to test that idea until tomorrow (hopfuly).

The only pads Iā€™m still testing are the geekria pads, the earzonk L-cush, and the Yaxi hole punched (40mm hole).

Iā€™m also tempted to get the TTVJ upgraded pads but I also donā€™t want to spend $50 on pads for a $100 headphone that I technically already have good pads for. I think I have a pad swapping addiction.

3 Likes

Found this and thought I share with yā€™all.

Seems to be the cheapest option for a padded headband replacement. I canā€™t vouch for quality but other things Iā€™ve gotten from accessory house have been good.

2 Likes

I am really enjoying the Misodiko G cushions.

L cushion for size comparison.

4 Likes

Just be careful not to put those pads down on anything. Mine started peeling after I swapped them onto my KSC75s.

Apparently Modhouse (of argon fame) makes leather headbands for Grados, although they donā€™t seem to be padded like the Shipibo, turbulent labs, beautiful audio, and accessory house ones. They are only $20 so this seems to be the best option if all you want is a nicer headband for the SR225e and under. Right now they are in sake for $15 but options seem limited and/or they are out of stock (itā€™s unclear).

So I was testing if the micro pore tape did anything, and when I took the tape off to compare to without the tape, some if the screen came off.

And as you can see, neither screen is centered properly and they are both a bit small.

that is honestly kinda scary

This is mostly my fault as I was taping over the outer ring of holes to see if that boosted bass (it does not) and the tape pulled up the edge. But in the bright side the tape is now a bandaid!

The other side had a small amount of fraying so I covered that too. Also the geekria pads cover the edges, so itā€™s not like this is likely to happen under normal circumstances.

Geekria pads
Earzonk pads

TLDR: these are great headphones. The geekria pads have the most bass and less treble and are probobly the sound most people will prefer while the earzonk pads are more of a traditional grado sound with less bass and more treble. None of the the other pads I tried did anything better than these two options.

Full thoughts on the SR80e:
These are great headphones that, for $110 (with pads), are a no brainer. These are bright, but rarely, if ever, harsh or sibilant. It takes a really harsh track to make these hurt. This goes for all the pads I tried, but especially for the two linked above. The mids are pretty great. Strings and anything acoustic sound wonderful. The only issue I have with these headphones is that the upper midrange can be a bit shouty, but the geekria pads fix that. As for the bass, with stock pads itā€™s kind of lack luster but with any open faced pad Iā€™ve tried it improves to being more than enough for the genres these accel at, with the geekria pads making the bass rather astonishing for what these are. (Iā€™ll talk more about the pads later)

Soundstage and imaging are good. Not the widest but very open, so you donā€™t get that sense of there being a hard outer limit to the stage. The imaging is pretty much average. Also I donā€™t get that ā€œlinear soundstageā€ Joshua Velour mentioned. It sounds like any other headphone in terms of front and back staging.

The Hemps did timber the best Iā€™ve heard so far, so I had slightly high expectations for the SR80e. Thankfully they pretty much lived up to those. They are not as good as the Hemps but are still very natural sounding. They are pretty much on the same level as the HD58X in terms of timber. Nothing sounds metallic or plasticy to me and everything just sounds like you would expect.

These excel when it comes to dynamics. They make sounds hit hard and make music just so lively. This seems to be a trait most Grados have (Gutenburg raves about this a lot) and itā€™s probably my favorite thing about Grados. When a note hits, it hits hard. This is why I love that KODO Heartbeat album so much. Every drum hits with such authority. I should mention that this means these are not laid back or relaxing to listen to. These are exciting and lively, but some could find this fatiguing.

Time for the pads. The geekria pads reduce the treble a bit and boost the bass. The treble is probably a bit ā€œcongestedā€ compared to other pads but nothing that I find objectionable, especially since the treble is never too sharp with these pads. The bass is the real star of these pads. It is kind of funny how good the bass is on these headphones with nothing more than a pad swap, especially since Grado is stereotyped as having no bass. Itā€™s mostly mid bass, but the sub bass is pretty decent, maybe a bit less than the HD58X. The shouty-ness in the upper midrange is also pretty much gone. These are also very comfortable pads. The foam is soft and not at all scratchy and they stay comfortable for at least 3 hours for me. The only issues I have with these pads is that they fit rather loosely on the headphone and the foam probobly wonā€™t last all that long (maybe a year of heavy use) but they are only $10 so itā€™s not the end of the world if they need replacing every so often.

The earzonk pads are very nice. Theyā€™re about the same quality as the F-cush pads that came on my Hemps. These are probably the longer lasting option. Sadly they are not as comfortable as the geekria pads. They only touch a thing ring and put a fair amount of pressure in the top of my ear. They are good for about 2 hours at most for me. Sound wise, these are more what one might expect from a Grado. The highs are brighter but still rather smooth and rarely sibilant (takes a harsh track to make these harsh). These also seem to be the clearest and most open/wide. The upper mids can still be a bit shouty, but not as much as stock pads and only on rather shouty songs. The bass is still better than stock pads but not as much as the geekria pads. Sub bass is surprisingly similar to the geekria pads, but mid bass and overall bass impact is less. These are a great option overall and you should get these and the geekria pads. They are only $10 each so that brings you up to a wopping $120 and you have three sound varuations to chose from.

Depending on the pads, these can can handle everything from classical to EDM. It may not be the best at everything bit it can do any genre justice. I particularly like classic rock and metal with the geekria pads and classical/orchestral and anythung acoustic with the earzonk pads.

Iā€™ll probably keep using the geekria pads since I like the added bass and if they only lady a few months befor they need replaced Iā€™ll get the TTVJ deluxe pads.

6 Likes

Great review! I totally agree with this. From my limited experience with Gradoā€™s so far, I just feel thereā€™s some ā€˜heftā€™ to the music and I canā€™t put the headphones down.

2 Likes

I got one of those accessory house padded headbands for my SR80e and it arrived today.

This is a great comfort upgrade as the stock headband is basically just for looks and provides no real padding. The quality is rather nice for $25 and the padding is more than enough for such light weight headphones. The leather is not as nice as the stock leather headband that came on my Hemps but is still leagues better than the vinyl that these come with. Itā€™s either pleather or real leather, I canā€™t tell, but either way itā€™s either pretty nice pleather or decent leather. The pading is a bit softer than the beyer padding for reference and is not memory foam, which I think is good since this foam is lighter and wonā€™t make the headphones top heavy.

The one reservation I have about recommending this headband, or any Grado upgrade headband, is how difficult it can sometimes be to remove the metal band from the rod block to install the new headband. Iā€™ve removed three rod blocks so far, two from my Hemps and one from these, and I only managed to get one off in one piece. The first one I broke was my fault as I did not know what I was doing, the second one I got off in one piece with no real damage, the third one I had to split open with a screwdriver and hammer. It seems like my pair of SR80e had the entire slot for the headband filled with supper glue so no matter how hard I pulled, twisted, or worked the headband, it would NOT come out, even with the assistance of tools like pliers and vices to get better grip. I putt the headband in a vice so the jaws where closed just enough as to stop the rod block from fitting through but not gripping the metal band and pulled down with my full weight with a pair of pliers on the headband and it still didnā€™t come out. I had to use the one I got off my Hemps in one piece to replace the one I split off the SR80e. The headband is much nicer, but the process to install it can be a bitch if you are unlucky like me.

If you are willing to take the risk, which will cost you $50 for a set of aluminum rod blocks from Shipibo if you break the stock ones (at least thatā€™s the only option I found that doesnā€™t require a 3d printer), then this is the process to remove the metal band from the rod blocks.

Hold the head band near the rod block and twist the rod block side to side. You should hear a snap/crack sound of the glue breaking. Next, rock and twist the headband back and forth while pulling (hard). If your lucky it will come apart easily enough.

A possible indicator that you may have problems removing a rod block is if there is an excessive (and I mean EXCESSIVE) amount of glue on top of the rod block and on the end of the headband.

3 Likes

With all the positive comments about the geekria pads, I picked them up as well. Thanks all for the recommendation!

Why are yours open to the edge of the driver? Mine cover about half of the outer holes as you can see in previous pictures. Did you put them on backwards?

Also is that a blue tooth mod?

Edit: I just tried reversing my geekria pads but they are too stretched out to fit correctly that way.

Lol good catch, I did. The sound was not good, theyā€™re on the right way now. I didnā€™t take a new picture.

(I wasnā€™t sure which way they should go at first.)

I added mmcx connectors a few months back, and thatā€™s a bluetooth cable from aliexpress.

2 Likes

I just got a set of TTVJ deluxe pads today and they are thankfully identical to the stock pads of the Hemps. While I doubt Iā€™ll need to replace them any time soon, its nice to know that these are the same pads and have a set.

The TTVJ pads do fit the SR80e, unlike the Hemps pads, so it seems that the Hemps larger cups did indeed strech the pads out. Since they do fit the SR80e I tried them out, and they are very good. The comfort is the same as the Hemps when new (my Hemp pads definitely broke in and softened up) and the sound is a perfect middle ground between the geekria pads and the earzonk L crush pads. The bass is less than the geekria but more than the earzonk. The highs are clearer or more present than the geekria but less so than the earzonk. A perfect middle ground. Even the comfort, less worth that the geekria but more comfortable than the earzonk. If only they didnā€™t cost so damn much. They are probably the ā€œbestā€ sound overall, being balanced and clear with good comfort, but they cost too much to recommend for the SR80e when the other two options are less than half the cost combined.

Overall I like them on the SR80e but Iā€™m not going to use them. Iā€™m just going to keep them as replacements for my Hemps and stick with the geekria and earzonk pads for my SR80e. I do have some misodiko pads showing up tomorrow so Iā€™ll report on those for both my Hemps and SR80e.

5 Likes

Good to know about the ttvj, now very curious about the misodiko, thanks for taking all this time and effort

Donā€™t thank me. Iā€™m just feeding my pad swapping addiction.

2 Likes

The misodiko pads just showed up. Iā€™ll post pics and thoughts in a bit. They seem like they are going to be comfy. Letā€™s hope they sound good.

3 Likes

Initial thoughts, these are a competitor for the geekria and earzonk pads. They sound more like the earzonk pads but they seem to be more comfortable (they are a similar material to the geekria pads, but more firm). I still need to do more listening but so far I like them.

Geekria pads

Earzonk pads

Misodiko pads

3 Likes

@A_COC0NUT Do the Misodiko pads bring the low end to life like the Geekria pads, as well as being more comfortable? That might be the solution for me if so.