šŸ”¶ Grado SR60e / SR80e

I have the sr80e, sr325e and rs2e. I would suggest to go with the sr80e especially if you havenā€™t heard Grados before. The sr325e can only be worn for a short period of time before the peaks become annoying. The rs2e solves a lot of the problems that the sr325e has also but it too is a lot more expensive than the sr80e and in terms of price to performance I think that the sr80e is far better.

2 Likes

Right now Iā€™m leaning towards the Rs2e. But I may get a sr60 or Sr80 to test the waters. How does the Rs2e compare to other cans in terms of detail? Have you tried them on a tube amp?

A tube amp gives them more warmth and reduces the peaks, overall making them more enjoyable.

The rs2e is more detailed than the sr80e, it has more accurate bass and sounds overall better.

Compared to some other headphones this lineup of Grados are not as detailed as say a good pair of Beyerdynamics. If you want more detail you can also spend more money and get some higher end planars.

However I would recommend trying out the sr80e first and seeing if you like the sound signature, then you make a decision on if you want to go more in on Grados or switch to a different manufacturer.

I have sennheiser 6xxs, blon b20s, and ndh20s. Is it worth going back to a sr80?

It would be something different to try, might be interesting. On a technical level I donā€™t think the 80e is close to what you have, but it is a pretty different sound

1 Like

Oh thank god, my only complaint so far, ordered

Bought these to replace my Koss pairs (kph30iā€™s and ksc75ā€™s) for light on ear listening with BTR5. Only an hour so far but damn I love these, Beyerdynamic pad on order

3 Likes

Yeah I was not a fan of the unpadded headband. I actually have a cheap pad on mine that I bought a long time ago. Itā€™s very pillowy soft but itā€™s starting to flake. I still use it though because itā€™s so comfy. Let me know how the Beyer headband pad works for you.

1 Like

If you are patient for an item to ship from overseas, I recommend Shipibo Audio or Turbulent Labs. They both have comfortable headband options.

https://turbulentlabs.com/category/leather-headbands/

2 Likes

Thanks for this link, I just went straight to beyers site and bought one like a noob and paid $15 shipping :man_facepalming:t3:. Headband is really the only thing that stuck out as a con, actually donā€™t mind the pads

1 Like

Thank you, you absolute LEGEND. There is a very strong chance I will be getting a complete headband assembly from that fisr link. Do you know why all the gimbals are out of stock?

Oh no. They make purple heart cups. Must resist urge to buy another Grado just for drivers.

I actually am building another grado style pair of headphones DIY from the ground up. When I last spoke to Przem, they had multiple gimbals and rodblocks that failed QC due to a bad batch of screw threads. They are in the process of coating the new batch at the moment. He normally responds to emails within a few days, so you may want to shoot him a quick message.

1 Like

I just bought my first pair of Grado headphones, the SR325e and I know its not the same headphone as in this thread but there isnā€™t a SR325e thread and they are part of the same Series. I have one little question that I think people hear could help me with.

Has anyone used the large over-ear G-Cush on any of the Prestige Series (preferably on the 325e) and if so how do they sound? Do they change the sound signature if so is it better or worse? So itā€™s more than one question but I feel like you all are smart people and can handle it. Seriously though, any info on how the G-Cush pads sound would be much appreciated.

It increases the treble and upper mids and I personally thought that any and all prestige series Grados sound horrible with G cush pads. More comfortable for sure, but ruins the sound. If you have the money, I recommend checking out beautiful audio as those are the nicest cushions for the prestige series Grados, imo. Sound great and comfy.

https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/grado-earpads-headbands

Hey man thanks for the info and Iā€™ll definitely check them out.

1 Like

Was not expecting those kind of prices but they do look very nice. Iā€™ll probably wait to see how they feel with the L cushion and if they really bother me but I like the sound of the headphone then Iā€™ll probably bite the bullet and get a set of the Beautiful Audio pads.

Woohoo another sr325e owner. @Ohmboy can we get new thread? It may make more sense to also include the 125 and 225 since these all donā€™t get much attention

Also I found the g cushions to reduce the lows some. which you donā€™t want. I didnā€™t find the difference to be that large though

Tiz done mate :+1:

1 Like

@Marzipan so I just picked up these last night, same S style that comes with them, was a recommend I saw up in this thread, I posted in the other thread to see which models to go up to because now Iā€™m like holy crap if these sound this good whatā€™s above?

EARZONK - Replacement Headphone S Ear Cushions - Compatible with Grado 60i, 60e, 80i, 80e, 125i, 125e & More - Pair in Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW5U3HM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HcCgFb7SY8K1R

1 Like