šŸ”¶ Grado SR60e / SR80e

@A_COC0NUT Let me know what you find. Iā€™m curious as well. Itā€™s got the be the hole as far as I can tell. The material is pretty much the same just softer. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

@11_Clouds It almost just enhances that Grado sound and adds the low end back in with enough quality bass to make it better then most of the headphones in my collection now.

1 Like

i agree, i think keeping the pads flat and removing the ā€œgrillā€ so to speak will be perfect, put i do like how the Lā€™s feelā€¦

1 Like

My initial impressions after listening to these for a good while now is that they are a little too light in the bass for my taste and a touch shouty at times, but otherwise great. The bass problem seem to be totally fixed by the geekria donut pads I linked earlier. I still need to do more listening and comparing but so far the SR80e are a great option for $100 + $10-$20 for pads maybe.

2 Likes

def preferred the bass on the 80ā€™s to the 60ā€™s, but highs of the 60ā€™s to 80ā€™sā€¦ Hemps take the bass of all of them, 60ā€™s to me with yaxi s pads still give me a nice balanced sound, curious as to how the geekria pads will affect both, havenā€™t pad swapped on the hemps yet, not sure i wanna mess with that

Dont bother unless the comfort is LITERALLY unbearable. The F-cush pads (same thing as TTVJ pads afaik) are the best option as any added distance between your ear and the driver reduces bass and overall impact of sounds. I still need to try the earzonk L-cush on my Hemps but my hopes are not high.

1 Like

i see what you did there lol, yes from what ive read ear close is the best bass, even with the 80ā€™s thats why those geekria intrigued me, remove the center for the highs but keep the distance for the bass, ill be able to tell tomorrow when they get here but for some reason i like the Lā€™s as well, will get to do more listening tonight and this weekendā€¦the comfort on the hemps doesnā€™t actually bother me like i thought it would by looking at the pads, plus im sure they will soften up over timeā€¦

The hemp pads do soften up with some use.

To get you hyped for the geekria pads, the bass amount is comparable to the Hemps with them. The earzonk L-cush are good, a more traditional grado sound and definitely better than stock S-cush, but I like the geekria pads better.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think itā€™s the SIZE of the hole in the geekria pads (34mm) as my hole punched Yaxi pads are not as bassy and their hole is larger (40mm).

2 Likes

Interesting, especially how the cutout size affects the base, maybe its the material as well, i really hope the geekria are the perfect match for the 80ā€™s, im still S Pad for the 60ā€™s though, those really surprised me, and the Beyer headband really helped the comfort, might have to try the beautiful audio headband for the hemps nextā€¦

1 Like

I intend to test if itā€™s the hole size or material with two sets of earzonk S-cush pads and a set of Sennhieser 414 pads when the arrive on Sunday. Going to hole punch them all with various sizes holes and see if the same sized hole sounds the same and if a smaller hole adds more or less bass. Get ready for SCIENCE!!!

2 Likes

haha im all for that experiment

I think Iā€™m officially a Grado fanboy. With the geekria pads the SR80e sound fan-freakin-tastic. To me there is no sibilance and no real harshness in the highs at all, just smooth detail. Though I will admit it is bright, but not sharp. The bass is about the same quantity as the Hemps (not quite the QUALITY though). The only problem I have been able to find is a touch of shoutyness in the upper-mids/lower-treble (and only on one specific song). If this is even remotely indicative of how other Grados sound then I donā€™t get where the stereotype of ā€œsharp highs and no bass for old deff menā€ came from. Even with the earzonk L-cush pads (less bass than the geekria pads) the bass is still plenty for most things and the treble is not sharp. Hell, even with the stock S-cush pads the sound was still great, just a bit to bass light for anything too heavy (like EDM or the Doom 2016 ost). Even if you find the bass too thin for your liking, depending on how my pad experiments go, all you have to do is cut a hole in the S-cush pads and you now have bass at least as good as the HD58X (like I said, still need to properly test).

These makes me want to get the RS-1e as my next step up.

4 Likes

Update: EDM is definitely not their strong suit, but stuff like the modern Doom soundtracks sounds rather good, even with the stock pads. The geekria pads sound better to my taste but stock is still good.

I donā€™t know enough to even post on this i am sure only own 60 n80s but watched dms vid today that said 60s were best option bc higher models just rolled off treble n bass. No clue just curious myself. It was on his headphone tier vid. Take w a grain of salt my first dms experience

EXACTLY the same experience I had.

I do not at all know what I am talking about , Just an ā€œI heardā€ kind of thingā€¦ But I think I remember there being at least something of a consensus that the ā€œeā€ iteration was not kind to the RS-1; and that it was a great RS-2(e).

But research , and maybe I am wrong.
My own experienceā€¦ never heard any of the RS-2 versions; I have an old RS-1, no ā€œIā€ or ā€œeā€. So what do I know.

These are the pads you like that add bass?
https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Replacement-Headphones-Cushion-Earpads/dp/B00TGCDHL2/ref=pd_aw_fbt_img_2/146-3088728-9851960?tag=hififorums-20

Yes, but today Iā€™m going to hole punch the stock S-cush pads to see if it is even necessary to get those pads. Iā€™m also going to test hole punching the earzonk S-cush and Senn 414 pads when the arrive on Sunday.

While I love the sound of those geekria pads, they are kind of crappy pads. They fit very loosely and the foam gets totally shot after a few hours of continuous use. I used them for about 5 hours yesterday (with some breaks) and by the end of that there where obvious ear prints and the pads where getting pushed/stretched back over the cup. While the ear prints are gone this morning they are still a bit stretched out and I think I can feel softer spots where the ear prints used to be. If this is the result of one day of hard use then these will never last an acceptable amount of time. Maybe donā€™t buy them just yet, though itā€™s not like they will break the bank if you do.

@A_COC0NUT See, I felt this too when I first got them. I didnā€™t understand the hate at all. I researched a lot before buying the 80ā€™s and I bought the 60ā€™s 2 hours after I got them, certain tracks I prefer the 60ā€™s, I think you should definitely give them a try as well. Hemps to me feel fuller, bass reaches lower and more of it but I wouldnā€™t even use the term ā€œbetterā€ here at all. L Cushions take them off the ear, with the Sā€™s they do get scratchy and hot without sacrificing to much on the 80ā€™s at least, adding a hint of more soundstage. My Geekria come today so im super curious after your findings, I think keeping them close will keep the bass up and removing the grill will bring out the highs, but for the 60ā€™s, im still not sure which pads will be the winner. So far the hybrid for me would be the Hempā€™s bottoms with the 60ā€™s top. I would take any of them over the 58X. I think my next mod so to speak would be trying the Beautiful Audio headband (cuz damn it is terribly painful) and maybe the merino hybrid pads. Its def an investment, but I plan on keeping all of them. Honestly makes me want to try all of the E-series then the RS1ā€™s. Some albums Iā€™ve enjoyed so far with all of themā€¦
Tipper ā€œJettison Mind Hatchā€
Yosi Horikawa ā€œVaporā€
Tor Lundvall ā€œLast Lightā€
Autechre ā€œElseq 3ā€
Kodo ā€œHeartbeatā€ (great rec)
Bohren und Der Club of Gore ā€œBlack Earthā€

2 Likes

I believe it was only really the black head band RS-1e that had problems. Once they switched over to the brown head band they fix it by moving the driver farther into the cups.

Look at the second post

1 Like