šŸ”¶ HarmonicDyne Helios

Alright so I wanted to finally review these. I feel itā€™s been long enough and I have had enough time to sit with the pad swap as well. Please keep in mind as any reviews go this is a subjective point of view based on my hearing.

Build Quality, Comfort, Cables: Build quality sucks lol okay before your like screw this review hear me out here. I practically received a really piss poor quality control product in this case. The cable is showing some fray already where the twin cables get crimped into one right after the silver connector is starting to fray, the leather padding on the headband actually partially came off and is peeling from either lack of adhesive or whatever I donā€™t know, Weight doesnā€™t feel distributed equally and feels a bit off for me, metallic portions of headband and metal grills gather dirt, grime, dust, and fingerprints like crazy and due to the inlets of the top of the band it gathers it worse in that area, headband adjustments are really loose and no indicators. padding on the headband is very thin and doesnā€™t seem to really protect you from much at all I can feel the metallic components on my head which causes discomfort. No excuse for this piss poor quality I received and this product is brand new(I messaged the guy I received it from the reason it was dirty was because he removed it from itā€™s box for some pictures and shipping caused damage to the case). Alright, so thatā€™s out of the way letā€™s go to cables these are duel sided 2-pole 3.5mm connectors going to a 3.5mm jack and I didnā€™t have an adapter which is odd good thing I had some spares. Comfort wise due to the imbalanced weight and bad padding on the headband this is a hit or miss for meā€¦ It came with suedes that appear to be thicker than what I have seen in like zeosā€™s reviews and others they are around a full inch thick and really soft, as someone who really doesnā€™t like suedes after a while I found these actually really nice due to just how soft these are they are practically a really smooth set of pillows.

Portability: This is so niche it disturbs me. Itā€™s an open back designed for portability which is strange to me. I guess if your okay with annoying people around you or do stuff like jogging on a trail alone these would be okay? Even after stretching itā€™s a little uncomfortable around the neck due to how huge those cups are. I would have preferred if they had an add on to replace the metal grill making it a closed back as well since the grill can be easily removed from the headphone this would make it even better in my opinion and not such a weird addition despite the cups being so large.

Amps: not picky in the slightest. Sounds good on my liquid platinum probably the most in my opinion since it adds some warmth to the lows and mids. Probably best to use this with an amp that doesnā€™t increase the brightness further though. Paired with Magni 3+, Liquid Platinum, and Asgard 3 for my auditioning

Sound staging Imaging and Seperation: Sound staging is more along the lines of my HD 598 maybe slightly wider with good imaging and good seperation. No real complaints here itā€™s pretty good.

Sound Signature: Neutral - bright. Bass is light with some punchy tones to it and a decent extension into sub bass nice detail and a good amount of quantity on them, mids donā€™t feel very natural to me and seems to be lacking in my opinion in relative tonality and delicacy though they do have some detail to them and are present the S sound sibilance that is present from time to time really gets in the way, highs seem to be well extended with enough detail and sparkle making them enjoyable however I had some sibilant tones in some cases depending on genre, more so with electronic keyboards and edm alongside female vocals in that same kind of genre the the present S sounding sibilance was the issue. Not particularly bad but it was noticeable and treble is definitely raised more than the lows and mids. If I were to compare this to another headphone it sounds like my HD 598 or HD 599s and somewhat similar in comparison to the Sundaras and dt 880 but with less detail in the mids.

Price point: I donā€™t feel this headphone in particular really strikes high above itā€™s pricepoint. I do think at $200 itā€™s very respectable. However, in terms of comparing it to what I already own this is kind of eh for me. I do like it but not more than whatā€™s already in my collection. For a budget entry though I do think itā€™s nice.

VS 990s: I wanted to do this comparison for a while. DT 990s has better bass and treble in both detail and quantity with ethereal highs though doesnā€™t sound as full so to speak and has more recessed mids meanwhile the helios is more balanced out in itā€™s frequency without a heavy bass to speak of in comparison. Personally speaking, I like my 990s -post pad swap more than the helios here

vs 1990s: unfair comparison. I feel they can completely shut this headphone down in everything except mobility and versatility in so many pad swaps and amp/dacs.

Vs Sundara: In terms of bass I think the helios sounds better to my ear more quantity and just more detail to it despite being so bass lite provided we are ignoring the fact that sundaras still maintain some slam and speed due to being a planar. Mids I think are both a bit lacking in this area but if I had to give a win here I probably really couldnā€™t but sundara sounds smoother and laid back so I will give that one to the sundaras, highs I found helios to sound better though not as smoothed out and relaxed itā€™s very apparent and intimate with good extension and sparkle. These two can probably go head to head pretty well. I found the comfort to be much better for me, if you remember I had quite some issues with the sundaras overall fit, as someone with bigger ears so the larger cups was a welcome addition but in terms of build quality helios rather pisses me off but so does hifiman which I refuse to buy from anymore since I have been screwed out of a headphone 4 times now.

Vs HD 599: My best friend has had this headphone for a very long timeā€¦ This sounds so identical to that headphone itā€™s dumb. Not sure if perhaps this is the same driver. Though could just be my hearing. Letā€™s call this one even and move on. Stylish design and more versatility based on amps and pads goes to the helios as well.

Equalizers: This is actually very pleasant. It responds well to equalization I had no issues adjusting the treble, some vocals, and bass at all. Bass when increased is quite enjoyable as it gains quite a satisfying thump to it that doesnā€™t sound bloated or muddy instead it sounds very welcomed in the mix you can increase the treble too by a bit and make it sound brighter without risk of overwhelming sibilance outside of the S sound though I will get into this issue in just a minute.

Pad Swaps: This sound signature definitely changes based on the pads. Sheepskins add more bass, mids lack of naturalism seems more apparent, brightness seems to become more noticeable but not very sharp, sound staging gets pulled in a little more and becomes more intimate and aggressive. Velours(dekoni elite velour), bass becomes even lighter sounding, mids gain some air alongside the highs, treble becomes increased and more apparent. Suedes(stock pads) Bass still has a decent enough thump, mids arenā€™t natural but still sound good, treble is raised with sparkle detail and good extensions. With suedes and a warmer amp setup like my asgard 3 the S sibilance did go away by a great margin and was more manageable

Gaming: due to the sound signature of this headphone I find this to be really good in the gaming genre. Itā€™s stylish, bass lite without a ton of rumble, and highs are brought to light really well with mids still being present. Soundstage could be larger but still I would say this isnā€™t a bad all rounder for gaming more towards competitive. Though I do feel in terms of comp gaming it will lose out to the dt 880s though If you wanted a headphone with a more ā€œfullā€ sound with more body while still maintaining a similar signature and donā€™t mind losing the detail of the midsā€¦ this is a great alternative to that

Final Notes: So this headphone isnā€™t bad but definitely not a giant killer. Definitely sounds good but has build quality problems and some definite sibilance based on what you use it with alongside itā€™s pads. I really donā€™t recommend Perforated pads or Velours on this one it makes the brightness far to peaky and velours seem to take away from the overall full sound it has with the warmth in the lows and mids. Suedes and sheepskins sound really good here especially those stock suedes which do well to curb that brightness just enough to bring out the sparkle on those highs. I cannot by any means recommend this to those who are treble sensitive as you will quickly get smacked in the head with that brightness, about the dt 880s level of brightness but with a higher peak. There pitch of a ā€œbalanced and natural sounding headphoneā€ I am sorry but noā€¦ anything with that much brightness I wouldnā€™t call very balanced and natural lmao thatā€™d be like me saying oh yeah the dt 990 sounds completely natural that sharp treble is how itā€™s meant to sound with the vocals sounding like they are pushed behind the drums lmfao thats a bit extreme but still. I do think this is a very solid headphone and a good buy at $200 but itā€™s not without itā€™s faults. Sadly, I will not be keeping this one but if I had to choose my first headphone this would be a great choice. I do really like the headphone but when I really sat and contemplated it I found what I already own to be in the general criteria and cannot warrant it staying in my collection

Recommendations to help alter and really bring this headphone to greatness? Change the headband either entirely or add more padding and cover the top, make sure you have some fine cleaning cloths to clean this headphone, have an optional grill attachment that allows for you to have more portability access instead of straight up open back, make sure you have an amp and dac that can help that brightness if you donā€™t I can see this being a huge deal breaker for quite a few. Asgard 3 + the suedes worked fine so itā€™s not particularly too picky

9 Likes

and i thought it would be next to the gods. For the all mentions and comparisons on nearly every topic praising them on and on and onā€¦ but in the end. Would seem they are another chi-fi with bad quality and there at 200$, there are options to choose from.

1 Like

Nice review Falenkor but i got to say you sound like a lot of reviewers who examine all the various parts but miss the overall sound. i think it all combines to a unbeatable headphone that punches way way above its price. also its uniqueness in timber/tone

Did you try hires music files? what about the presentation?

I donā€™t particularly think I missed the sound. Itā€™s not bad by any means but I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s unbeatable either. I think itā€™s price range is personally very respectable. For the record, the only reason I am not keeping it is because I own the 1990 over there. Yes, I tried Hi-res. I have multiple downloaded songs of my own choosing multiple albums and genres from bandcamp, soundcloud, amazon music, etc.

due to my inexperience in explaining things as is I am not sure how I would properly describe it further than I have.

I put some adhesives under the leather of the bandā€¦ seems to be holding. It started to come off after I used it a couple times and stretched the band out a bit to fit over my headā€¦ I had noticed a popping sound which is what caused me to noticeā€¦ still one hell of a good looking headphoneā€¦ I think I will sit with it just a little longer in the case that I change my mindā€¦ If anything this would be my replacement to the Sundaras that I lost which is quite something

Well im surprised with the build going bad on you. how often to you listen to music? ive been into this hobby for a while know. the uniqueness of this headphone is what struck me and how different it is to other headphones. it has this big sound to it. ive struggled to describe it. but it has the same presentation as my Arya. so i guess it has a big driver sound? maybe speaker like presentation? Iā€™m curious if the Tygrs has the same cause DMS mentioned that about it also.

I dont pay that much attention to bass, midrange and treble like most do. some really seem to be obsessed with it. i just listen to a headphone and feel the overall.

I learned with film and music that i need to relax and just experience the work. not to get to zoned in on one aspect or another. i dont really analyze till later.

Not sure if thats what your doing or not. but im surprised when a reviewer gives it a mediocre review and doesnt mention the presentation or overall sound. ive heard a lot of headphones and its a unique headphone. i was hoping hifiguides might help me to nail it down.

All the time actually even at work as were allowed radiosā€¦ if you checked one of my old posts I was even asking for recommendations on work based bluetooth speakers lol.

I mean, itā€™s not a horribly big deal itā€™s just really annoying and makes me mad ya know? I mean, itā€™s fixable but I would have hoped it would be in better straits than thatā€¦

hmm, had to stop for a minute here to try thatā€¦ I would agree to the bigger driver sound as itā€™s familiar to my aeons actually. In comparison to the tygrs they have a speaker like presentiation but it doesnā€™t really sound like they have walls it just sounds pretty expansive. I would say yeah itā€™s probably that big driver sound.

Midrange is typically the last thing I look for same with naturalism as long as the mids arenā€™t horrifically recessed same thing with the bass(yes yes i knowā€¦ mids are where the musics at so to speak)ā€¦ I like a good thump and good clarity lol raised treble is my guilty pleasure though especially if the vocals really come alive with the headphone. Other than that I just try to enjoy the headphone for what it is in sound and make some comparisons I try my best to stay open minded as possible without extreme requirements. I suppose some things I didnā€™t say is the headphone does indeed sound big and lively. Aggressive and intimate. Itā€™s one of those headphones that is not over the top and you can lay back and just listen to, provided you arenā€™t badly treble sensitive. I do think the highs really bring out the overall detail to the helios thoughā€¦ without that I probably wouldnā€™t like the sound whatsoeverā€¦

nah, I kick back with my headphones lol. Only when itā€™s supposed to be like analytical and what not do I tend to pay a bit more attention as itā€™s pretty apparent when it has that surgical type of sound.

1 Like

While I definitely hear things a bit differently and donā€™t see how the ā€˜nooks and cranniesā€™ can already be collecting so much grit and grime, or pieces peeling off, I do tend to agree that theyā€™re pretty fairly priced. Iā€™m not the biggest fan of the build quality, but Iā€™ve had them for over a month, using them pretty often and always out and exposed to dust and such, and have had no issues along the lines of what Falenkor has described. The cable is actually one of my favorite single ended cables Iā€™ve received with a headphone, and havenā€™t had any quality issues there either. I conversely find them to have quite elevated bassā€¦to the point of mid-bass bloat sometimes, so quite the V as opposed to neutral bright. That said, we all hear differently and use our gear differently, so to each their own to decide whatā€™s best by their own ears.

3 Likes

Sorry but i got to disagree with that. What headphone at that price can get you that kinda sound with that detail? the only thing that can compete are the Beyerdynamics dt770 880 and 990. but they are light sounding headphones that lack body. I dont think the 4xx competes, with its dullness, or the 58x with its veil, or the meze 99ā€™s with their lack of detail. This headphone is a bargain at 180$

Bass, treble, midrange, detail and that presentation. With the Helios you get a headphone that i feel should be at least 350$ i think it competes with the Sundara and Verum 1 even in the most objective terms.

I Prefer it to 1600$ headphones. but i guess thats just me? I love close sound stage, big driver sound, V shape, detail and present midrange. fun/aggressive. So maybe it just fits me perfectly? i prefer it to Arya and Auteur.

Ok maybe im crazy. i cant believe this but i just got this cable in today and i swear my Helios sounds much better :no_mouth:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6SPVX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now its a janky cable. but my Helios sounds better. i think it added soundstage. but the overall sound is just more dynamic, engaging. i also noticed i had to turn up the volume on my amp. it is a longer cable ay 9.9 feet and the copper is oxygen free copper

Canā€™t answer that but thereā€™s a few iemā€™s at circa half that price that could do damage to that statement :+1:

1 Like

@Ohmboy- legit curious which??..also realizing itā€™s comparing apples and oranges - open back over earā€¦to drivers pushing vibes directly down the canal.

I dont know IEMS that much at all lol.

Ant likes entertaining/lively Vā€™ish shape? then maybe the Urbanfun YBF 1 or Tin T2+ would be a good startā€¦small :dollar: big sound :+1:

1 Like

Ok iā€™m not going to say it.
That is partly why cable might not make any difference. Just by placing the headphones on little bit differently changes the sound more than the cable.

Plus if you really like the cable, your mind is already subconscious making the decision for you. Without you actually even knowing it. Thatā€™s also why people believe things they might see or even think they seeā€¦ and not actually seeing anything but pop in their brain.
Specially when ā€œbelievingā€ things.

I have literally seen that same cable, being sold under like 5 different names in the past 2 years.
Also bought it for my Hifimanā€™s that i sold, cheaper money but still, same cable for like 15$.

Itā€™s so made in china cable it cannot be even more. :smiley: I would be 500$ the copper ainā€™t even decent.

But i heard OFC copper is the best

To quote MONā€¦ā€œI personally have heard a difference in cables. On a half million dollar system. At that point it matters. For 99% a decent cable will do them just fine lolā€

Seems about right tbh

i try not to even touch the cable converstation with a 10 foot poll. because itā€™s so tricky, i mean itā€™s like other very touchy subjects *cough cough believing that someone is up there, where it might be true. but it canā€™t be proven and most people definetly MYSELF included are so finecky with wanting to believe something that itā€™s impossible to prove at times. Just let the man enjoy his new cable lol

2 Likes

Think we talked about advertisement in other topics. If itā€™s mentioned OFC it might not be even near it, like many things from china ainā€™t what they claim to be.

At audio eventā€™s i hear silver is far more better so OFC cannot be the best and what is ā€œbestā€™sā€ measurement type or angle? Hopefully not peopleā€¦ they are wrong soo many times.

About them Helios.
How could they leave the Phillips screw visibleā€¦ the metal and hole desing is actually excellent looking but them screwsā€¦ why? WHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Mine has a 6 point star screw on it.

As for cables i listen to one cable then the other. i pretty sure i know what i heard. who knows what garbage weā€™re getting with our headphones. companies are always trying to cheap it out on headphones and accessories for profit. New Neomusicia is sold everywhere. they seem to be a reputable company. They have a B grade from Fakespot and an average 4 out of 5 star rating on Amazon. looks good