šŸ”¶ HarmonicDyne Helios

Shure SRH940 comes to mind. They are a tad sharp in the highs though.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been curious about the Shure headphones. but i cant find anything on the web about the SRH950. did you mean the SRH940?

Yea but what if the pole was ofc?

4 Likes

yep, my bad

Lol
10 chrt

2 Likes

Iā€™m gonna say it I donā€™t really sense any sort of veil in the 58xā€™s in any way shape or form and thatā€™s coming from someone who enjoys Abit of sparkle in the treble. It just has a relaxed treble response that appreciates with more listening time.

2 Likes

It is part of the fun to try different cables, Iā€™m not going to debate what you hear, but I do think comfort and convenience wise, the New Musica cables havenā€™t been my first choice, but they are definitely serviceable for the price.

Just curiousā€¦ the meze, elex, sundara, arya cables,and perhaps other headphones you have would work on the Helios as well (and vise versa) have you tried those cables yet?

And before you ask, so far I spent, <30 min with my pair. So verdict is still out for me, but I will say that I am at least 3rd owner of this pair. Iā€™ll make sure I listen to some A-Ha when I do try them out again.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not that they are collecting a lot of dirt and the like however it is something that I noticed that itā€™s quicker to get dirtied than most of my other headphones which is why I made that remark. I donā€™t particular thing it will lead to any large issues in that regard other than the ever present fingerprints that show up on the metal grills but these can be wiped off which is why I mentioned using a clothing cloth for it.

It is a nice cable. it is just unfortunate that the cable I have is already starting to fray perhaps just bad luck on my part.

I say more towards neutral bright as while I find the same that the bass is relatively punchy and has a good hit to it it sounds much like my other neutral - ish headphones in itā€™s bass tones. Itā€™s nowhere close to like my dt 990 tygrs or others that are known to be actually bassy. If we consider it a V I would say itā€™s fairly lopsided as the bass is elevated ever so slightly while the treble has quite a peak on it Instead I would say itā€™s more towards a U as a V would suggest it has more recessed mids which is not what I find here.

eh? Sennheisers. Tons of detail of them. Only ones I can think of in the Heliosā€™s price range that can compete outside of beyers in this case.

I would say in the $300 range these days if anything ā€¦ sundara can be bought for $250 and verum I heard was more dark(feel free to correct me on that one). It is nice. I think in your case ant you found the headphone that just really suits you.

I mean, I like that they are visible on the grill allows me ot take off the grill if I wanted to modify it and it doesnā€™t really stand out. Mine also arenā€™t regular regular Philips screws they are 6 point stars like ant mentioned

To be fair @Antpage2 the helios is completely in my signature preference. I personally think the build quality I have is making me hate the headphones more than I should and perhaps I havenā€™t given the headphone enough credit. Honestly, I do think you are hard pressed to find a better alternative at the price range outside of the beyerdynamics and the Sennheisers, which is why I compared it to the 599 they do indeed sound relatively similar but helios sounds bigger wider more depth more lively. The closest comparison I can think of with this headphone is most definitely the Sundara over there hence the reason I have considered keeping it

Best comment on this entire thread. :heart:

2 Likes

I hadnt thought of that. the Elex cable in particular looks like a serious cable. iā€™ll give it a shot

Kinda funny but i thought the Helios had more bass than the 990ā€™s iā€™ll take another listen. The 58x i do find veiled and that makes me want a headphone with more clarity. I also find the Sennheiser 58x 600 and 6xx dont have the detail of the Helios. though i could be its treble and presentation thats making the difference. Are you saying the Sundaraā€™s are 250$ used? Also i forgot to ask you what you thought of the timbre of the Helios. thats also unique to me. i have a theory that the wood and steel combo us making its timbre sound unique

I would say that the detail is better for the sennheisers on the mids and sounds better to me personally but in terms of the low and highs the helios was better. As for the bassā€¦ theres definitely more warmth, rumble, quantity, and thump on my end for the 990s while the helios sounds more punchy with some nice elevation to it 990 sounds a bit overblown and over the top in comparison heliosā€™s bass sounds a bit more realistic to me. I should add that I definitely didnā€™t find the sennheisers to have any veil.

open box but yes.

So, I would say the timbre is ā€¦ honestly thats kind of hard for me to fully explain to come think of itā€¦ IT does appear to be pretty good I had to actually sit back down with it and listen. Nothing really sounds real off or dry. Vocals to me just donā€™t particular sound right and I am not sure why, though I can tell what instrument is playing as well and the sound layers itself pretty well. The tonality of the lows and highs sound very natural to me very intimate yet natural. At the same time the sound is relatively bigger and I am not sure if thatā€™s due to the driver or perhaps the thicker pads or maybe a combination of the two. All the frequencies have this sort of present warmth to them.

Thatā€™s not the first time Iā€™ve heard people complain about the mids itā€™s the most common complaint I tend to hear about it just the mids not sounding right to a lot of people.

I mean, itā€™s not a deal breaker but itā€™s noticeable to me between that and the moderate levels of S sibilance every now and then itā€™s rather obnoxious lol I do think the treble is raised to the point that it makes the headphone appear very detailed though and has bit to much of a peak on it while yes the highs do sound pretty realistic I can see some problems.

Why is it I hear people say the sennheisers are veiled though? is it perhaps because they are more treble neutral or dip under neutral from time to time on the treble making it sound veiled to those who are used to listening to more bright headphones?

Itā€™s because itā€™s more laid back and less of the focus than most Headphones. Usually if you want a more detail present Headphone you add a bit of sparkle to the treble. Another factor is hearing loss the more you lose your hearing the more you age the more you appreciate brighter Headphones and headphones that are darker are harder to pick the details up on why senns are so good for the treble sensitive. Some people also who simply just donā€™t like Sennheiserā€™s house sound will just point to the dreaded Sennheiser veil.this sucks because this probably why the hd 700s which are bright Headphones just kinda kill me and are pretty hard to listen to same with the 800s not tubed.

1 Like

Another theory of mine is people just simply donā€™t give enough time for their ears to adjust. If I go from a more treble forward Headphone then to a 58x , 650 or 600 itā€™s gonna take a bit of time for me to get used to the sound and pick up the details again vs the 990 where it just throws details at you

Though I have my gripes with the 650 and 600 that isnā€™t veil more tuning and presentation than anything

You knowā€¦ I can definitely understand that and appreciate that fact. That sparkle is what I assume makes the heliosā€™s details pop out(though I have seen some people claim itā€™s relatively artificial due to the treble? Dunno, canā€™t really comment it sounds good so whatever) so much as well. In comparison, I could see someone seeing the sennheisers as veiled or even boring in some cases depending on the preference.

if by throw you mean punches you in the ears with it then yea lmao one of the reasons I love the headphone and found the 1990 to be so much better for me itā€™s unbelievable.

This is something I realized I was doing early on when I was trying all the headphones and you guys told me to slow it up a bit. Some of the headphones I had originally thought sounded bad actualy needed more timeā€¦ a great example and realization to that fact was when I had picked up the damn nighthawk carbon. Going from the dt 990s to the nighthawk is so flip flopped polar opposites that I swore the nighthawk sounded just awful at first very muffled very ā€œveiledā€ it took me almost a week and a half of just straight listening to them to really realize noā€¦ thats not veil itā€™s dark sounding and in turn I found a headphone that I appreciate so much itā€™s stayed in my collection and I pick it back up quite frequently.

1 Like

Exactly why many of us try to push giving your ears time to adjust.

1 Like

Some like to say that the Sennheisers are slightly withdrawn or recessed in the treble. i say veiled. why? cause its veiled