šŸ”¶ HarmonicDyne x Zeos ERIS

Mine arrived today. Really enjoying them so far. The best way I can describe the experience is that itā€™s like going to the movie theater. Itā€™s like if you distilled THX into a headphone.

Playing games on these is absurd. My previous go-to for games was the X2HR but these do a better job with imaging. Explosions and gunfire rattle your skull. Itā€™s ridiculous.

I will say that I had to scoop out a tiny bit of the lower midrange to get rid of the bloated sound I was hearing, and take the edge off the top treble.
These cans tend to emphasize sibilance if itā€™s present in the track - so far I havenā€™t found a way to get around this with EQ. I havenā€™t had them very long though, so Iā€™ll keep messing with it.

Overall, Iā€™d say these are pretty much exactly as advertised. Fun, comfortable, bassy hooliganism with a few tricks up itsā€™ sleeve.

A couple songs Iā€™ve really enjoyed on these so far:

Blackheart - Two Steps From Hell
k-means clustering - BT

3 Likes

I have a 100% success rate with DHL, by far my favorite courier. Beat their own estimate by a whole day delivering FIVE eris to me before London.

I am so proud of this fact. Why I am bringing a Gaming Machine to London. What games did you run?

50 Hours of burn-in and a bit of pad wear will fix this. Sibilance if it persists in a trackā€¦ REVERSE THE HEADPHONE!!

Nobody has given their Reversed opinions yet. Remember this is an OK practice.

1 Like

Somewhere in the 2k-5k region (ear gain) would be my guess. I can tune it up and down on the Mojo 2 with the EQ shelf that starts around 3k and up.

I really like them on the WA7 btw. Very cozy sound.

Upscaling everything to 352khz through HQplayer with its 2 million tap filter. Using a noise shaper that softens things up a bit. Then flavoring it with some tubes, and letting the headphones do their thing. Very nice.

3 Likes

I donā€™t play many shooters these days so I could only test them with Battlefront 2 and Halo Infinite. Battlefront 2 in particular has really good sound design, so I enjoyed that the most on Eris I think. Because these cans have so much low end, lightsabers sound properly powerful. I walked past a guy playing Darth Vader and the sound of his lightsaber went past my left ear I was like whoooaaa dude that sounds so cool.

Iā€™ll run some music on them while Iā€™m at work. Should be at roughly 50 hours by the end of the week.
I wasnā€™t a fan of reversing them personally. It seems to help a bit with sibilance but it makes the music sound very strange. Iā€™ll need more seat time though because I only tried it for a few minutes.

2 Likes

I got mine yesterday. Sounds great. Bass is amazing. Vocals do sound a little recessed but fine. I havenā€™t broken them in yet though.
The cable is very nice. The plug is wide and Iā€™m using a A50III (with D50III) and the 4.4mm is a little bit recessed and the plug is wider; it plugs in fine though. I blame the A50III.
Easily the most comfortable headphone I have had. Noticed the serial number on the side. The glass looks really nice.
I need to use them more and get them broken in.

3 Likes

Nutty bass, as advertised. Insanely comfortable.

Iā€™ve already sinned, Iā€™m sorry Zeos. I pad swapped. Stock pads are 10/10 comfort, but I have a stockpile and always want to see what happens to the sound with swaps. Most attempts were disastrous, but then I used a Dekoni hybrid pad, and shit, theyā€™re perfect. Some stuff does sound recessed with the stock pads imo, it was the only really obvious negative out of the box, but now the sound is breathing a bit better, bass is SLIGHTLY less intense but everything else came up a bit and sounds less stuffy. Stock pad is more comfy, no question, but they sound better now imo.

Edit: So, these are good for their price point, but I wouldnā€™t use them for much of anything over my GL2000 which has been my daily driver since it came out. I am admittedly EQing the fuck out of those, have pad swapped, and removed the tuning paper. Stock vs stock the Eris is probably closer to my preferred signature, but yeah, I donā€™t think the Eris is showing any potential to do anything that the planars canā€™t do better with EQ.

Not remotely an apples to apples comparison, but Iā€™m at the point in my audio journey where I canā€™t really justify holding onto stuff that doesnā€™t knock me on my ass in a way that would give it an edge over my main set. Too much money down the hole to keep stuff just to have it, ya know?

Iā€™ll sit with them for a bit, and I didnā€™t mind taking a shot on something that the guy that started my audio journey made, but theyā€™ll probably end up being sold at some point.

3 Likes

My Eris headphones are supposed to be delivered July 29th. Fingers crossed that DHL does not fail, again.

3 Likes

I feel like I can relate a little. My audio collection has advanced so much now that Iā€™m starting to find that sub $300 headphones are offering less and less wow factor compared to my more expensive stuff. I just have to go into things keeping my expectations in check but after awhile you just have to stop pulling the trigger until you see something that is getting a lot of attention or offers up enough unique but meaningful experiences.

At least you gave it a shot. As for the Eris, sounds unlikely to be the primary driver in a mature collection but nothing wrong with riding shotgun, sometimes thatā€™s where all the fun is at, or something like that. :wink:

Myself and several others have confirmed that after 30-50 hours of actual, off head driver burn in, a lot of the issues you are trying to fix, melt away. Give them time and all will be revealed.

Oh you just wait. After 3 weeks of ownership I am betting quite a few blokes moving these way up their personal totem pole. Addiction is my specialtiy.

1 Like

Received my pair today. S/N 0711. I was super excited to use them this weekend but had a some issues. Hopefully its an isolated incident but I plugged in the included cable, went to unplug them and put them away and the entire left side plug came out. I emailed linsoul right away and hopefully they can remedy the situation.

4 Likes

Which Dekoni hybrid pad specifically?

For about 36 hours I thought I was going to have to come at you for being way too serious about the ā€œBass Violenceā€ with these headphones! I got mine last Monday, gave them a listen for about 2 hours as I tweaked EQ to find the right sound for me, and I did listen pretty loud but it was off & on. The next day I listened at low volume at work, probably 5 hours total. When I was leaving the office I noticed that my tinnitus was unusually bad, and that something was a bit off with my left ear. Later that night I realized that my hearing in my left ear was probably about 50% quieter, and maybe a strange kind of distortion at a point where the mid-hi range really dropped off. I started to worry!

The next day I gave my ears a break, no headphones at all and quieter music through speakers.

The following day everything was back to normal, and I started using the Eris at low volume at work again. I think Iā€™m in the clear now, might have been some strange coincidental thing that means nothing as far as the Eris is concernedā€¦ but yeah, the Bass Violence might have hit me a little too hard in the beginning! Iā€™m trying to give them the 50ish hours to break in that you suggest, but so far I think they sound pretty damn great.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to have to get a surgeon general warning for too much bass. Although that would be cool. If Iā€™m listening hard for a few hours of a time I definitely take a break for a day or two. Just left them break in on the desk without you wearing them. If anything persists go see a doctor, I hope it is not Eris related.

I answered you on Reddit but Iā€™ll do it here again. Let me know how linsoul gets on with it and if you want to try to fix it yourself itā€™s just four screws and some glue. Iā€™m out in London still promoting or I would pull on apart to show you. Either way It should show up in one piece. Also congratulations on the highest serial number Iā€™ve seen!

2 Likes

I bought them so long ago I canā€™t remember exactly, but Iā€™m pretty sure theyā€™re elite hybrids for the hifimans, the smaller ones, not the big egg shaped ones.

Honestly though the drop in comfort makes it not worth it.

Got mine today, i like.

First session of tracking choice cuts.

• Om - Addis - Advaitic Songs
  • James Horner - Lutherā€™s Bus - 48hrs soundtrack
  • Masta Ace - Take a Walk - Disposable Arts
  • DJ Krush - Le Temps - MiLiGHT
  • Prince - I Feel For You - Prince
  • Chairlift - Take it out on me - Something
  • Maxwell - Arroz Con Pollo - Embrya
  • Danny Brown - Monopoly - XXX
  • Alice Phoebe Lou - Galaxies - Paper Castles
  • Run The Jewels - Get It - Run The Jewels
  • Black Tomb - Swine - Black Tomb
  • REZN - Clear II - Chaotic Divine
3 Likes

Heard these at canjam london yesterday.
Pleasantly surprised tbh.
Super comfy and whilst the bass is the main thing its not over done and the rest of the spectrum isnt handled badly.
Not resolution monsters and treble is a bit rolled off (but im old so YMMV on this bit) but theyā€™re a super fun set you could listen to for hours and just get lost in the music.
The tuning will have a really wide appeal so as a blind buy theyre a bit of a no brainer pick.
Definitely more closed than open in terms of sound leakage.

3 Likes

Hey Z. Appreciate your response on here and reddit. I will try to update both posts just in case, but I will test out the headphones tomorrow and see if they sound normal as per Linsoul request and see what they say. I saw your unboxing post of them on YT and I should be able to figure it out, Thank you for help.

1 Like

Hey Z, any idea when the Eris will be available on Amazon? Also, how are people liking this with hard rock, 80ā€™s glam rock, thrash metal, blues?

Look what just arrived, boys!

3 Likes

Very quick initial impressions:

• Super comfortable. Light on the head, good but not overbearing clamp force. Good support on the top of the head and pads are very comfy. This is definitely something I think I could wear all day.
  • Bass monsters indeed.
  • Good instrument separation and width.
  • Havenā€™t tried out the 4.4 cable yet but itā€™s very good quality, love to see it.

A few minor negatives:

• I had the pad squeak Z was talking about. No biggie, took the pads off and wiped the outside with a microfiber cloth. Put them back on and the problem is pretty much alleviated.
  • Getting a little bit of sibilance / fatigue as I listen, but I think this is attributed to new headphones, new sound. Will give it some time to burn in and let the pads settle in as well. Not worried about it.

Honestly, I think at this price point itā€™s a home run. Really great job @ZeosPantera!

5 Likes