šŸ”¶ HarmonicDyne x Zeos ERIS

Howdy. Long time lurker, first time poster. #403 here.

Just got my Eris a few hours ago. After reading some of the QC posts, I was clenching pretty hard when I opened them and listened for the first time, but thankfully mine seem to have none of the issues mentioned.

I mainly wanted to post so I could offer a suggestion to those struggling with a bit of sibilance, but donā€™t like the reversed sound. I had a couple of Geekria tuning discs lying around that Iā€™d originally purchased for my carā€™s aftermarket dash tweeters. Hadnā€™t got around to putting them in yet, so thought Iā€™d try them on these (guess Iā€™ll be ordering another set). They fit perfectly beneath the pads, and clear the sibilance up like they were custom made for these headphones. Yeah, youā€™ll lose some ā€œdetailā€, but if you prefer bassy AND a bit dark, theyā€™re like $9 and worth a shot.

Amazon.com: Geekria General Earphone Replacement Inside Tone Tuning Sound Isolation Foam Pads Earpads Cushion Compatible with Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Koss, Philips (2pcs) : Electronics

Also, in case anyone else out there owns (or youā€™re considering owning) the Signature X, another bass beast headphone, and want to know how they compareā€¦ quite favorably, actually. Those were my favorite headphones for fun bassy listening. Lofi beats while Iā€™m writing, phonk, synthwave, etc. The Signature X is bit bassier, and feels like it has slightly better slam. The sound signature is a lot darker. Even with the Geekria tuning foam, the Eris is brighter, but thatā€™s not necessarily a bad thing. The Eris feels more balanced to me by comparison, and better with a more diverse library than the Signature X.

Where the Eris clobbers the Signature X is in build and comfort. QC concerns aside (Signature X has had some reported problems too), just based on evaluating my own units, the Eris feels significantly better built. The pads are nice and cool, and you wonā€™t be dripping sweat from your cheeks like you would with those giant (albeit very comfortable) pleather Signature X pads. The Signature X creaks like crazy any time you try to put them on or move them. The Eris is the most comfortable pair of headphones I ownā€¦ and Iā€™ve owned a few of the ā€œworldā€™s most comfortableā€ headphones. The HD490 Pro comes to mind, and also Rodeā€™s super comfortable NTH100 for studio work. The Eris is more comfortable than either of those, and it isnā€™t even close. You could wear these the entire day. You could fall asleep wearing them. Itā€™s unreal. That alone is worthy of immense praise. Iā€™m an author and have headphones (or IEMs) on my head basically the entire day. The value of fit and comfort cannot be overstated.

Still comparing to the Signature X, and this is just a personal preference, but the Eris barely isolates at all. HUGE plus for me, being that Iā€™m always listening to music as I work and need to be able to hear if someoneā€™s shouting for me, knocking on my door, my phone is ringing, etc. I also hate taking my headphones off constantly to have frequent, brief conversations. Iā€™d rather pause my music, chat, then get back to work. These allow me to do that. Theyā€™re very nearly open backs when it comes to isolation. No problems having a conversation with them on.

Overall, very happy with them. I have several nice ZMF pads that would fit them I might eventually try, but then again maybe notā€¦ the stock pads are damn near perfect already and the color matches the headband. Not feeling motivated to change them.

Z was the first reviewer I ever watched after deciding I needed better headphones several years ago. It all started with the M40X, and here we are. Well done!

7 Likes

It hasnā€™t been a day, but Iā€™m really digging this headphone because they are fun asf! Iā€™m digging it so much, I had to make this 2nd post. I think they sounded great out of the Schiit Midgard using the Halo output for a more ā€œairyā€ soundstage while still getting bass pumping adrenaline in your body. Move them to my main headphone setup which is the Allnic HPA-5000XL and resolution and soundstage gets a buff. They really do remind me of the Atrium Closed with lambskin pads, but more affordable and maybe with slightly better separation and wider soundstage maybe due to its ā€œsemi-openā€ nature. But the Atrium Closed (Iā€™m currently using Suede pads top Perf only) is still more resolving and have better resolution to me. The Atrium Closed have more ā€œdepthā€ in the soundstage to me as well. But both headphones bass is humongous for a headphone and you really do get that visceral bass.

1 thing I do wish though is for vocals to be push a little more forward and that causes me to turn up the volume just to get vocals to a certain volume level for me. The Eris also do get a tad spicy in the higher frequency for me, but I heard that gets resolve and other issues gets resolve as well after maybe 50 hours of burn in.

The Eris is really awesome to listen to and Iā€™m glad I actually pull the trigger and bought these. This is only my day 1 impression and I am already liking these a lot right out the box. This headphone will only get more awesome with more hours put into them, so I canā€™t wait until the 50th hour for this headphone.

I like these songs a lot with the Eris:

Poem of Chinese Drum (for pure bass factor, I recommend listening to this song. You can skip to 4 minute to skip the foreplay)

https://open.qobuz.com/track/5381610

Breath - Yeat

https://open.qobuz.com/track/252698307

Childhood - CloZee

https://open.qobuz.com/track/218838967

2 Likes

They are likely off-setting the cost amazon charges to stock and distribute the item. I think it is around 20%. They take that to pay for shipping and affiliate fees etc. I was already cutting the margins thin with and since there is basically a minimum of $30 shipping fee if you order from Linsoul direct it was never really $250. Hopefully they can keep the $15 coupon on there so it is really only about $5 more than direct, totaling $285 out the door from Amazon.

that is strange doesnā€™t appear to have any parts missing from the pad compared to what I have here. Maybe itā€™s an extra piece of material? Perhaps you got more pad than you bargained for? Or can you stick your finger through the lip and out the side?

I would upgrade fully away from a Creative piece of hardware. Unless you are using some if their unique gaming / software features. I prefer the Magic IFI stuff.

That would only work if I commissioned some art. Which I am inclined to do! Better than AIā€™in it although that is great for planning stages.

Exactly what I would have done. Solid. Maybe put some masking tape just to keep that from moving.

I feel like the way the wires are placed inside the cup, their length, the randomness of 1200 sets going out and having only two people complain of rattling. I think you just got unlucky. Iā€™ve got like eight sets in this house and Iā€™ve taken multiple of them apart for tuning reasons and then I put them back together the wire always falls slightly differently. And Iā€™ve never had an issue where itā€™s rattled although I usually have taken them apart again within a few hours. Iā€™m glad that they communicated with you so fully. You can see itā€™s not a very complicated design inside and the wires theyā€™re using are rather thick compared to normal headphone cables.

So Close to a Yolo, Congrats.

Should not be a problem. They are surprisingly cool to wear. Even out in the sun doing ā€œthingsā€

probably 1000 have been delivered so far and if youā€™ve seen four people complain about an issue thatā€™s quite a small percentage. So I would relax for the most part. Iā€™m sure even huge manufacturers would call that a non issue and Iā€™m glad so far everyoneā€™s had their stuff sorted easily.

if you only got them a few hours ago you need to give them that break in. Before you assess things and start changing pads. But thank you for the suggestion regardless.

Yet some companies do not listenā€¦ lol.

I would F__king hope so! :laughing:

Recommendations always welcome. There is a Telegram chat linked in the first post if you want to share music recommendations.

4 Likes

For sure, but Iā€™d imagine some people report issues directly to the Linsoul rather than posting on here. Iā€™m sure as HarmonicDyne learns about the reports, theyā€™ll improve them with future batches too. Mainly I was concerned about my own bad luck here, but if theyā€™re fine now theyā€™re probably going to stay fine.

Iā€™ll definitely be monitoring them for changes. They havenā€™t left my head much since they came in this morning, so I think theyā€™ll get to that 50-hour mark pretty quick. May leave them running overnight too. The discs are super easy to slip out if they start to sound dull, but pre-burnin Iā€™m enjoying the sound with the discs a lot. The more I wear these pads, the less interested I am in swapping them. Theyā€™re basically perfect as-is.

I hear a lot of people say theyā€™ll prioritize sound quality above a bit of comfort, but I think people underestimate just how much comfort issues ruin the experience no matter what, even if you tell yourself it wonā€™t. Iā€™ve gotten rid of several headphones and IEMs I wouldā€™ve otherwise kept and enjoyed, but couldnā€™t wear comfortably. Itā€™s the same reason Iā€™ll likely keep these forever, even if there are other headphones I might think sound better.

Not likely to happen with bassy background music though.

Been listening to this playlist for the past half an hour or so and holy damn:

SAMURAI ć€ä¾ć€‘ :yin_yang: Japanese Trap & Lofi HipHop Mix :yin_yang: Trapanese Bass Type Beats (youtube.com)

Oh, and someone else mentioned tinnitus in one of the earlier comments. I have horrible tinnitus in my left ear from a concussion, and so far these have not irritated that any more than any other headphone would.

I agree 100%. I have 3 pairs of TWS IEMs and they all sound pretty damn good, but theyā€™re incredibly uncomfortable to me so I never use them. Iā€™ve stopped trying to find some that will live comfortably in my ear canals. But something as comfortable as the ERIS? I want to wear them 24/7

1 Like

Sorry for my complete inability to convey this adequately, hopefully the below shows it a bit better:

Itā€™s an additional ring that runs on the underside to add rigidity to the part that slides into the slot on the earcup. The top of the pad in the image shows the crease where it affixes. I have glued it and should be fine now.

The wires on the inside really surprised me how nice quality they are. I guess additional weight and suppleness may have worked against it in this case. I am super glad that its easy to address, that its not affecting a significant amount of people, and can be a learning for future productions. And I was just salty that I was having to immediately tinker with the headphones in a few ways. But seemingly all sorted now.

Woo! I did good! Thanks for confirming and advising, I will run without tape for now, as they are back together, but will know the solution is easy should it come back.

Now I can get back to the epic sound and drown out the world on a Friday night.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance, and for making the headphones you enjoy, that we get to enjoy too.

1 Like

My last large spam post. They are back together, looking and sounding damn fine. As much as I love the stock cable, the Tripowin matches so well IMO:

After a week of not using them, it is taking a moment to adjust again. Even though I have had XBASS on for my other headphones haha.

Lastly, these are the best headphones I have found for ASMR, should that be of merit for anyone else.

1 Like

that sounds hella intriguing, Iā€™ll let ya guys know when I get one

Hi @ZeosPantera,

Heard you looking for serial number info on your Twitch stream.

I ordered mine from Linsoul close to launch day, but did not pre-order. I received SN 0217.

No fit/finish issues with mine, I really enjoy them. Happy with my purchase!

Made an account to post about this. Got my Eris in, absolutely love them. Blow my Beyerdynamics out of the water. But Iā€™m a little worried about the build quality as there is a rattle in the left ear cup, like thereā€™s a loose wire. So far there arenā€™t any issues with functionality, but Iā€™m a little concerned about the longevity. Iā€™m not rough on these and the rattle was there out of the box. Should I be worried?

ninja edit: should mention that I have SN 0880 and I was part of the preorder

1 Like

I got around 32 hours total on this Eris headphone. I burned in probably around 24 hours for non-listening sessions. I only got 2 listening sessions on this so far with probably 4 hours each. Impressions is still too early, but I wanted to note this down because wearing the Eris backward was pretty interesting.

Letā€™s get this out of the way first. Around 30 Hours, I feel like the mids I experienced when I first got it where I wished the vocals were a little more forward went away. I no longer wish for the vocals to be more forward and I love the volume level I get with the mids. The harsh highs are still there, but I want to wait until after 50 hours of burn-in to see if the higher frequencies will settle in more. There is a loophole to make the higher frequencies less harsh, and it is putting it backward like Z said in this Eris thread.

Putting them on backward made the upper midrange and treble sound less harsh to me. The soundstage also sounds like it has more depth to it and it overall sounds like itā€™s bigger. The instruments just sound more spaced out and I can hear the instruments a little better. As a trade-off, vocal clarity does sound a little worse. I do lose some visceral bass, so there is less bass rumble for me. So far, I like the Zeos logo on the left rather than the right, but my taste is more the Zeos logo on the right. Itā€™s just for the Eris headphone, I like listening to more pop songs and rock songs because the Eris headphone (normal wear) sounds more energetic and exciting with more brightness in the higher frequencies and the extra bass rumble is satisfying on the lower frequencies. The more ā€œintimateā€ soundstage you get wearing the Eris normal vs backward also brings whatever songā€™s ā€œmainā€ midrange star shine more. For example, I really like this song ā€œFrom Now Onā€ by Band-Maid where the lead electric guitar is taking center stage just sounds more badass wearing the Eris normal. Vs when I wear the Eris backward for that song, I can hear everything much better and identify what the hell is going on in the song much easier because of the improved instrumental separation and soundstage, but the main star which is the lead guitar loses its bite to my ears.

I am going to continue burning them in more. But I just wanted to make this post because the ā€œbackwards featureā€ where Zeos (logo) is right is pretty cool that the headphone presentation do sound pretty different even though the tonality is mostly the same. I still have to try these headphones with movie and games on this headphone. The movie I kinda want to try is maybe John Wick or some action movie and the game I have in mind is usually survival horror games since usually there is good sound effects in horror games. Probably something like Resident Evil 2 Remake or maybe Evil Within. Itā€™s nice to see I am getting a lot of bang for my buck with this headphone, hope everyone is enjoying their little Eris goddess at home.

1 Like

Hey I put the same cable on mine and I agree it fits super well.

1 Like

Alright, I got 55 hours on the Eris. 52 hours of burn in and I listened to the last 3 hours. Every issue I had (recessed mids, sibilance on female vocals, and harsh highs) just goes away and the Eris headphone sounds more balanced to me vs before burn in. It still sounds pretty V shape to me, just not as extreme before burn in to my ears. Soundstage also seems like it gotten a little better as well, which is pretty nice. Just like Zeos said on his review, songs that call for big bass, let there be thunder. Songs that are basslite, the Eris bass does seem controlled and the bass doesnā€™t really overpower the song. I will say as long you donā€™t play in a really loud volume, treble wonā€™t get harsh (if it does gets harsh, itā€™s not as harsh as before burn in). When the volume is decently loud to my ears, I donā€™t get bother by the treble and upper midrange.

Whatā€™s even more interesting (either itā€™s my gear or itā€™s this headphone) is connected to my main headphone setup, Supratek Cabernet DHT tube preamp and Allnic HPA-5000XL OTL/OCL tube amp, I get no hiss or anything like that. I never tried anything so sensitive before like 118db sensitivity. I do like how it sounds on my main rig, deep extended and control bass, a mid-bass bump up for more punch, clean and texture mids, with a soundstage you can only really get with tubes.

This is all subjective listening, but I can confirm that this headphone is still really fun and comfy to listen to. That is the main reason for me on buying this headphone. It is going to be my new main office/transportable headphone! Comfort is really one of the best I ever worn. I say itā€™s up there with ZMF and Mezes for comfort. The music donā€™t really leak as long you donā€™t play in a really loud volume and it drowns the background noise enough for me. I thing I do wish is more resolution, especially in the midrange for vocals. But I guess I canā€™t really complain especially at this price range.

Good stuff Zeos on tuning a really fun headphone and HarmonicDyne for making this headphone possible!

3 Likes

free shipping and no tax from linsoul probably around $70 cheaper than amazon lol

How did you get Free Shipping? I paid $30 to have my pair shipped to the East Coast

basically add eartips or a cable to cart and you get free express shipping

1 Like

I have no idea what number mine are or where that info is. I donā€™t really care. Theyā€™re flawless. Iā€™m considering getting a 2nd set for my girlfriend. I have done that with DT990 & DT880 & KPH40i, but those were much cheaper. I have 2 each of Singxer SA-1, Xduoo TA-26 & Topping A70 Pro already. My concern would be what if the 2nd set of Eris have issues some seem to be having. Actually mine came with a dead cable on the right, but since I already had Tripowin dual 3.5 to 4.4 that work, I donā€™t want to go through any hassle dealing with getting the cable fixed or replaced. If itā€™s a hassle then Iā€™m not interested. Actually one of my A70 Pro units keeps showing a DC voltage error, so I just quit using it. The 2nd one works flawlessly. Low gain A70 Pro with the Eris, Geshelli J3/AKM4499/Burson V7 Classic listening to Toto IV in UHD on the Wiim right now.

2 Likes

Serial Number is on the headphone itself on the metal bit of the headband when extended and also on the sticker that closed the box.

I honestly havenā€™t seen that many with complaintsā€¦ Maybe 3 with various issues. You being one of the three. So I wouldnā€™t worryā€¦ Also glad you are enjoying them.

Ok then, Iā€™m 0729.

1 Like

Sick serial number :smirk:

1 Like