šŸ”¶ HarmonicDyne x Zeos ERIS

IMG_2887

2 Likes

Yosi Horikawa in Staging mode while drifting in and out of sleep is a trip. Nearly 5 hours of in-bed use of Eris yesterday. So I think I need to go to one of those clinics now.

Update on my ERIS, after having opened them several times to increasingly try fixing the rattle, no amount of tape nor twisting would resolve it. The more I focused on it, the more I was convinced it was something loose that could roll back and forth. Frustration set in. So after dismantling the headband (incorrectly, but I got there) I found there is a ball bearing that engages for the sizing detents. I figured it came loose somehow, so I reseated it, put them back together, didnā€™t tighten the screws down too much so as not to risk stripping the plastic. Still rattling. Tightened the second set of screws in the headband a bit more. Gone. No more rattle! And as a bonus the ratchet is much more firm. So I figure when the band stretched onto my noggin, it loosened off the ball bearing enough for it to roll in the slot.

The topmost screws (flanked by the slots) are the ones that needed to be snugged down, for reference:

I am now relaxing to that, damn does it have some significant heft in the low end. Sub-bass all over the place.

I really like the cable, Iā€™ve been eyeing off another one for Sennheiser, possibly in the gray/blue.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you got that one unlucky issue. If anyone else has a rattle I know what to suggest. Glad you sorted it and now you can enjoy them the proper wayā€¦ Naked and Horizontal!

2 Likes

S/N 0073 here

Loving these things! Quickly becoming my go-to headphones, in fact. Everything sounds good on these and they sound good on everything, taking on the flavor of the source gear. Itā€™s a winner, Z!

3 Likes

Iā€™m very happy with the sound of the Eris on everything in general, but Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m wrong in my analysis regarding soundstage width & imaging depth. Iā€™m not noticing much of that. Iā€™ve tried lots of music. I tried lots of movies & tv shows. Iā€™ve tried them backwards with cables reversed. Iā€™m using a Geshelli J3 with Burson V7 opamps into a Topping A70 Pro. Most recently I was watching the HALO anime from 2010 & it almost seems like itā€™s in mono. Iā€™ll give it some more time & try other amps & other cans to compare, though my only other closed back are Sony CD900s. Actually the only headphones that I own that Iā€™ve noticed soundstage width & imaging depth at all on are my HD660S2. I also have DT1990 Pro but I donā€™t get what Iā€™m wanting to hear from those either. I forgot I have DT150 closed backs also, but theyā€™re 250ohm.
(Edit) August 20, 2024: The Sony CD900 had lots of bass to me, unti the Eris put them to shame. They seem to have no bass at all now even with Blade Runner 2049 playing. Iā€™m not noticing much soundstage with or imagining depth with them either. Everything from the midrange is more forward than the Eris in presentation. Now to the DT150. Initial impressions are that I hear soundstage width & image depth right away. Iā€™m using Blade Runner 2049 again. Also the bass is definitely there. I will need side by side comparison with the Eris at length about the bass, the DT150 get the checkmark on width & depth. Itā€™s there for sure. One thing I wonder about is that even with Eris there is some crackle in the deepest bass. This is very noticeable with the DT150 too. No Iā€™m not listening at ridiculous SPL. A70 Pro is on low gain at -24db with the 250ohm DT150. It was low gain at -35db with Eris. Checking Eris now, to try & really volume match the DT150. Eris: A70 Pro on low gain at -32db. DT150: A70 Pro low gain at -12db. My other A70 Pro isnā€™t working so itā€™s hard to tell having to go back & forth changing levels. I can say, you should get some DT150ā€™s. These were less than $200 when I got them. Iā€™m only judging sound quality. The DT150 certainly do bass. They do soundstage width & depth.

1 Like

I stole your sticker @ZeosPantera at camjam London but as promised I am already enjoying your headphone from Uruguay with Mate, very fun headphone with loooots of bass and impact!

2 Likes

if you have an extra cable to test with or a way to check phase to make sure everything is kosher that would be a good start. No soundstage might be a phase issue with internal wiring or cable error. But you had the bad cable right? Sorry if that wasnā€™t you I am trying to keep track.

It was yours to steal. Glad you got the Eris to accompany!

Im watching

The cable was dead on the R. Sound is fine using Tripowin cable in itā€™s place. No phase issue. I just had expectations that were not realized in my listening regarding the soundstage presentation. However I typically listen to speakers >80% of the time. It might just be the source that is playing. I donā€™t always get that 3D soundstage on speakers either. Then on some things, itā€™s amazing with the same setup.
(Edit) I use headphones only when I canā€™t use speakers. Like when my girlfriend is asleep.

1 Like

I think I have figured it out. There is certainly a present soundstage in the Eris, however to me it is very subtle, where I was expecting it to be obvious. I have to really listen for it. In the Beyer DT150, it is much easier to hear. Iā€™m thinking the reason that is would be because of the difference in the physical size & or shape of the ear cups. For those who care about esthetics the DT150 probably isnā€™t for you. Theyā€™re a design from the 1970 or early 80s. They are comfortable. I listen to them for hours at a time, frequently with movies. They do the bass of Jurassic Park exceptionally well & the voices are very present in the overall mix, where Eris is a tad less present on voices. My next move is to try a different cable on the Eris. Currently all I have are the Tripowin. Maybe theyā€™re the weak link?

1 Like

I like the opening on this oneā€¦ Lol

1 Like

So I just received mine tonight and I have to say Iā€™m experiencing something similar with ear fatigue or just straight up pain for the brief time Iā€™ve listened to them. Iā€™m hoping with a proper break in on my desk they will mellow out but there is something in the high end that on certain tracks just destroys my ears. I was going through a playlist of different music and I put on Sia - Cheap Thrills and I had to immediately take them off as something in the high range was painful like if youā€™ve ever had one of those dog barking deterrence things go off near you and you canā€™t really hear it loud but itā€™s painful in your ears.

Anyways just wanted to find out if anyone else experienced anything like this in the first few hours of playback that mellowed out with a proper 50 hr break in later. I guess Iā€™ll report back in a couple days after mine have broken in.

Edit: this might actually be something in my stack and not the Eris, I havenā€™t listened to this amp in awhile and there could be a tube causing this high pitch as I was able to reproduce it on my HD 800S. Anyways Iā€™ll report back later and prob not an Eris issue.

2 Likes

My issue cleared up the next day, no problems since and I wear them most of the day at work. Iā€™ve settled into some EQā€™ing that sounds right to my ears, and Iā€™m definitely very happy with the Eris!

2 Likes

Let us know if yours is OK in a few days. What was your Serial #?

Also what is the Source Chain?

Thanks, Iā€™ll be sure to post back after a proper burn in, unfortunately my computer went to sleep last night so I only have less than 10 hours of burn in on them as of now.

So on my headphones they show S/N 0462 but the sticker on the box shows S/N 0642, Iā€™m assuming that was just a mix up with the sticker and the engraved one on the headphones is the legit serial number.

My source chain is Macbook Pro ā†’ Schiit Bifrost with multibit upgrade ā†’ Woo Audio WA2. This is where I was having the tubes issue and havenā€™t had the chance to roll them to see where the problem lies. I also have a Schiit Jotunheim 1 at my desk so thatā€™s what Iā€™m currently burning them in with. On the Jotunheim Iā€™m not getting the same glaring issue I had with my busted tube but I do still get a fatiguing feeling after just a few minutes so Iā€™m hoping after proper burn in that clears up.

They do sound great though, way more detailed and airy than I expected for something with so much low end.

1 Like

Just got mine , comfort feel awesome gonna start burning it in.
I think Harmonicdyne might have sent the first batch to amazon cause i just got my set (ordered it August 10th via amazon) and i got S/N 0021, either that or the reset the numbers (dont seem likely to me)

1 Like

That is the first I heard of that.

Yeah they are only 32Ī© so full tubes can act weird.

Apparently they shuffled all the serial numbers. But they shouldnā€™t be repeating. The mythical 0069 might show up in few weeks. Its like the Wonka Golden Ticket.

1 Like

Wait does that mean number 69 gets your house?

I ordered a new KK Cable today for mine. It was $58.98 on Amazon for a 1.5 meter. If that doesnā€™t noticeably improve the soundstage then Iā€™ll have to break down & get the Magia cable thats over 3Ɨ the price. Iā€™ll have 3 different dual 3.5 to 4.4 cables at least. Iā€™m giving my Eris every opportunity to shine. Meanwhile my DT150 are getting all of the attention & they deserve it folks, if price to performance is your only concern. Actually I think the DT150 fire far above their price. Theyā€™re ahead of the Eris on my score card in the overall soundstage department & vocal presentation & the bass performance is no joke. Iā€™m powering them & the Eris on a Topping A70 Pro that is fed by a Geshelli J3/AKM 4499/Burson V7 fed optical from my TV or coax from my Wiim, each via CAT8 from T Mobile 5G home internet.

1 Like

Just wanted to update my impressions after almost a month. I moved these out of my office and to my regular non-work PC, where I use them for music and gaming. While I donā€™t know how ā€œcompetitiveā€ they are (my skill level doesnā€™t warrant the question), and I donā€™t spend much time gaming, they sure are fun to game with. Iā€™m now using these almost exclusively at that desk.

For those interested, I swapped the black Tripown Granvia cable I was using on my Edition XS over to these, which Iā€™ve seen a few others have also used. I put the Eris cable on my XS. Both cables are awesome.

The Geekria tuning discs I mentioned before, Iā€™ve decided to keep in. Iā€™m pretty treble sensitive. Combine that with maddening tinnitus in my left ear. I could see where many might prefer not using them, but if treble bothers you I strongly suggest trying those discs behind your pads before deciding you donā€™t like this set because of something in the treble. For me and my preferences, with the Geekria discs, these are amazing.

The comfort, as expected, hasnā€™t changed and is still out of this world.

3 Likes