HD660s vs Sendy Aiva?

I’d you want a wide soundstage with better imaging with a more neutral and more detail the 1990 are better technically. But if you want a more laid back warm more intimate sound the 660 are those.

The 660s is the better allrounder with the sacrifice of soundstage

I have both 660s and 1990s - use the analytical pads and prefer it over the Sennheiser.

Ordered the dekoni velour elite pads to tame down the peak at 8,5 a bit and elevate the low end -hope the mids and soundstage won’t be worse, because that is, what the 1990s are best in (except my Focal Elegia getting 80% of listening time over the others, beeing the best allrounder and closed)

I will sell the 660s or both and get the Aeolus(listen to it in the next months) or Ananda(already know it and could get it for 750€)

Sooooo now the ESP/95X are the same price as the HD660S… I’ve listened to the 660s and they sound amazing (compared to the m50x). Would anyone recommend the 95x over the 660s? Is it even possible to run then portable as i dont have a good background on electrostatic headphones? Can i tube them in the future? Or even somehow use my gsx1000 with them?

So actually the older esp950 came with a battery pack to connect the energizer to, but that’s not really realistic, and let’s just say they pretty much would have to stay at a desk

You could use a tube preamp to tube them without buying an expensive tube estat amp

You could run a line out from the gsx into the included energizer

I would say it would depend on what type of sound you prefer for the 95x vs 660

From where i am there is no way for me to test out the 95x and i can get behind not being able to go portable and just stick to my iems. So how would you describe its sound compared to the 660s? From what i read electrostatic headphones are superior in every way in gaming so how do they differ to the 660s in music? I really really like the sound of the 660s and the 95x with its drop seem pretty compelling.

I would actually rate the esp95x only a bit over the 660 for gaming, I don’t really think I would say they are far superior or anything.

They actually might sound somewhat similar but with more detail and a more compressed sound. They have cheaper build but are also very light. They are going to be brighter with less low end, but are still pretty good. They are more different, so if you are looking for something different sounding, it might be a good idea

Different compared to what exactly? Zeos said that gun shots sound amazing on the 660s but would that still be the case with the decreased low end? And would you describe the highs as fatiguing? Also you seem to be always available to answer anything… Endless gratitude!

Well I don’t get fatigued with the 95x at all tbh, as there really isn’t anything painful or overemphasized about it. Gunshots sound great in detail and position, but they might not have the timbre and very deep low end compared to the 660. I think that if you wanted more detail, a bit better gaming performance for competitive, better imaging and a different presentation, a fast sound, and an included amp, the 95x is the better choice. If you wanted to be able to use the headphone on different amps, better low end, a more organic sound, a more relaxed sound, and more dynamic range, the 660s might be the better choice

What does “fast sound” and “organic sound” mean?:sweat_smile:

So the 95x has fast decay, so bass is very tight and instant, and very clean for example. A cymbal hit will stop making noise quicker, so it decays faster then other headphones. Also since it is fast, there is better separation between instruments, preventing sounds from overwhelming each other and allowing them to sit as they would in a mix.

Typically I refer to an organic sound as something that sounds closer to how that instrument or sound would sound in person. Typically having accurate timbre and tone contributes to his, and also a presentation that would be more accurate to life. The 95x may represent some sounds with a different tone or timbre then you may be used to, causing it to sound inorganic or clearly not like in real life. The 660 is a bit better in that regard. It matters more for some people then others

Ok since they are similar in gaming, M0N what would YOU recommend for music. You seem to be a 660s type of guy. But would you recommend them to me? Imma go off your recommendation for my purchase since ill eventually get them all😂 But that would be after college so that’ll be in a few years so what would YOU recommend me getting and staying with for such a time before getting a new?

Well I own both lol, and like both of them. I would have to say that it would depend on what type of music you commonly listen to and enjoy. It would also depend on how you like that music presented imo

I should also add that I do think the 95x is better for competitive gaming, but the 660 is better for casual gaming

I’m not a gamer so it’s just out if curiosity…what’s the difference/requirement sound wise between a casual and comp gamer?

[

So typically when I say something is good for competitive gaming, it has very good imaging and positional accuracy, with easy ways to pick out footsteps and gunshots with everything being revealed. Also a bit of dynamic range compression is actually kind of preferred, as it makes it easier to hear quieter sounds. The sound signature typically is even or leans on the bright and bass light side to emphasize those sounds you want to hear and make sure some sounds don’t get drowned out by an explosion (example)

For casual gaming, they should still have good imaging and positional awareness but might be more bass heavy or fun sounding, really letting you feel your actions or perhaps it’s more relaxed so it’s less fatiguing. Typically by competitive I mean those who will do anything to get an advantage, and casual by those who are there just to have fun and not really stress about everything giving them the most advantage they can have. Just think of most headphones as being casual for gaming tbh.

In the case of the 95x, I think it leans more towards competitive, but it’s still a good all rounder unlike some other competitive gaming cans imo

The 660s could pass as a competitive gaming can, but imo I think it’s just balanced, with enough performance to meet in the middle between competitive and casual

1 Like

Thanks that makes total sense to me even if the last game I played was probably the original Doom lol

1 Like

You should try out Doom 2016 some time lol, it’s a pretty great game

1 Like

The thing is i dont have a preference on how i want my music presented to me yet so what ever ill get ill get used to. But i listen to a lot of bands and artists like eminem, purity ring, grimes, David Bowie, lorde and some random Japanese stuff… I’m gonna get both but the thing is which should i get first?

Well, I would say the esp95x might be the thing to get first then, because it comes with an amp and it’s a good price right now imo

I received the headphones a couple of days ago so i thought id give a follow up. Had to go get a dac first because I’m dumb and i forgot that they needed one… Ended up settling for the D10 as a local was selling it used and amazon would take forever to ship to my country. The headphones sound amazing and they are extremely light too! they are a blast to game with as when i raise the volume things like titans dropping sounded as if they were actually super heavy and ordinary gun shots sound like they have power behind them! imaging is noticeably better than the m50x and the soundstage is definitely a ++. When it comes to music, they are easier on the ear than the m50x if that makes sense… They’re beautiful in every sense but i would’ve preferred just a bit more bass. When i raise the volume the bass increases but then it is so laud that i can’t put them on. I guess if i use them for a while ill get used to the bass but other than that, I haven’t had the m50 on since the 95x arrived! don’t have the 660s to compare to and i haven’t used them a lot so i can’t go from memory here to tell which one I’d prefer. Thanks M0N for the advice!

1 Like