He 4xx dropped to $130 for some reason

For bass and soundstage, yes. These have much better slam. Mid-range if you compare to the sendy driver types, it’s better on the 5se. I don’t think they are going to have as much apparent detail, but I do think the 5se is a great headphone if you can power them correctly, and I don’t think you should have a problem

1 Like

I’m waiting for the HE4XX’s to arrive, and since yogiwp mentioned the HE5SE, how do the HE4XX and HE5SE compare?

I pretty much prefer the 5se over the 4xx for the most part if I have an amp that can drive them well

Bass wise, how do they compare?

And in my case, would a JDS Labs Atom be sufficient?

Bass impact, quality is better on the 5se. I think you would want more power then an atom, but it should work just fine still

One more comparison lol

How do the HE5SE and HE560 compare?

I’m looking for bass heavy and not too bright.

Then the 5se is better choice because it is tuned for more bass. The 560 is going to be a bit brighter and more balanced

Thanks for the help :+1: I’m considering returning the 4xx’s for the 5se based on the 5se’s bass.

If you can get a good price I would say it’s worth it, but also getting a powerhouse of an amp can be beneficial. The schiit asgard 3 is pretty good for that

I plan on upgrading to a more powerful amp down the line, but hopefully the atom can do enough.

It should be fine, but upgrading down the line might be beneficial, especially for the bass

Got these and love the way they sound but the earpads are a bit small for my huge ears, looking into zmf pads I see a lot of people go with the ori’s but I was thinking about getting the auteurs since they are larger inner ear. Is there any big difference between these two pads besides inner ear size? Also would appreciate any other rec’s if there is something better out there. Thanks!

possibly dekoni pads but I dont even have my pair yet.

Lol, the first headphone I got was Nighthawk Carbons. I sort of compare everything to them. Not exactly very good reference headphones, due to how strange and different their sound is. But they are still my favorite. :blush:

Lol they are very hit or miss for most people

1 Like

I tend to love things that are different/unique. It is not like I try to, I just do usually without knowing why. :stuck_out_tongue:
Probably the closest thing to “normal sounding” headphones are the KPH30i. But those are also different in a certain way too.
Speaking of which, how do these 4xx compare to the headphones I have tried/have?
Nighthawk Carbon
KPH30i
Sennheiser 6xx
1More Triple Driver
DT 770 Pro 250 ohm

Well, it would have a wide open soundstage with a v shaped sound, and would take will to more power, I wouldn’t say they are super unique though, but they are a very good planar for the price

1 Like

One of my friends has these on his 4XX. He’s also one of those weird ones that only has one pair of headphones.
https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather.html

Lol I had alpha pads for my old he400 and he6 it it’s crazy

mine just came in not having hear these headphones in a couple of years . they threw me off guqard they have a odd presentation instruments sound far but voices or I guess the mids are super forward almost agressive.