HiFi Guides IEM of the year poll

Hello guys,
As guys from Watercooler thread on our friendly website made some very interesting poll on the IEM preferences within their community I thought it would be nice to gather some data on our local small little world preferences as well :lab_coat:

I created a poll on Google Forms where you could fill in the data on what was your favourite IEM release of the year 2023 + some more statistically interesting data you may want to fill to make it more interesting once I publish the results. None of the answers apart from your nickname on the forum is obligatory nor I gather the information on the e-mail address it was sent from.

There is also a question about the leave the hobby IEM (that part I stole from @Timmy-Gizaudio video as it is quite interesting way of asking a question What is your favourite IEM because it may cause the answer to be made with some twist). Some options I already prefilled based on what I know or at least expect “knowing” you guys for some time now (so for @rattlingblanketwoman Penon Serial is preselected and for @Ohmboy Sony Z1R), but there would be definitely answers missing - fill free to add them as there is always and option to answer “Other” and fill in the data.

After 15th of January I would close the poll and gather the data so to present it before mid of January. At least if there would be at least 5 answers to this thing :smiley:

Let me know what do you think and well - Happy New Year 2023… Scratch 2024 :fireworks:

15 Likes

Fun idea, and the Serial is still the correct answer for my walk-away choice. Maybe more so than ever!

8 Likes

I filled it out. This is funny! As much as I wanted to write IE600 as my favorite, I named another. This other IEM is technically and musically several levels above anything I have, it’s just in another league. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you guys, especially all that filled it in. It is already past 5 answers threshold so we would make something out of it for sure! :heart: Charts, numbers, graphs and maybe some playlist

4 Likes

Excellent choice, also shows that price don’t really matter for enjoyment.
My choice to skip Penon forward has me with regret now and then :rofl:

1 Like

My first order of DTE900 was lost by FedEx/TNT. I contacted Penon, they did an international investigation which found that the kit was opened and there was nothing in the box. They gave me an investigation form to fill out, they conducted the investigation, keeping me informed the whole time. After everything was finished, they sent me a new set by DHL, which arrived at my place in 10 days. I have nothing to complain about. i don’t know why people avoid Penon. In my case, they behaved very correctly! :wink:

9 Likes

Great idea chap - looking forward to the results

2 Likes

I don’t respect Penon’s marketing strategies and the fact that many of their regular reviewers seem to be biased. A recent Watercooler drama only confirmed this.

Having said that, I have positive experiences with Penon as an online shop. Quick shipping, secure packaging, good customer service.

Most likely I won’t ever order any Penon IEM (especially after my disappointment with FAN2 [most likely due to fit issues]), but it’s quite probable that I’ll buy something on Penon website.

9 Likes

They are very nice with customers, nothing against them there. My problem was directed more against review control, or trying to control.

And Penon is not the only brand who does stuff like this, many brands that give out review samples. And if you don’t praise it or give near full score they stop sending stuff to that reviewer/influencer.

Customer support from them is very nice as a normal user.
I had problems with cables from Penon before and it got fixed without arguments. Same for a IEM with bad connector. Or if you have a special inquiry they try and meet your wish.

8 Likes

As a small teaser - after 23 answers (for which thanks a lot <3) - there are no 2 people that selected same IEM as best realease of the year. I guess that means it was a good year :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Yes. A very good year, but not all the answers are visible. Shoot the other part too!

1 Like

Just a sneak peek, I would share proper report after some time :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Submitted!

I appreciate the idea for sure, love seeing the results of these things :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Missed the Watercooler drama, I got the Sound Rhyme PRADO before any of them headed to the US sure I ruffled a few feathers even .Mr Hui was a bit surprised LOL, what was the story there if anyone cares to fill me in?

I don’t follow the thread too pretentious for me.

1 Like

:grin: :+1: mean while eating my eggs ’n bacon…

1 Like

This is when it started…

1 Like

Ha Ha yeah ok I saw that, I also can’t respect Redcarmoose, he wrote up a review on the Sound Rhyme SR1 that was so clearly a puff piece for Penon it was sickening. The other guy was right to call him out.

I heard rumors of a " Allowance " for theese guys to shill shit.

I also get stuff from PENON 50% of the time for free and 50% I have to pay with a slight discount and have also fallen out of favor because of Canucks Audioholics Anonymous Group luke warm reviews.

The other companies are no different or much worse. Linsoul, HiFiGo, Keep hifi all the same they would prefer no review over a bad or Luke warm review and say as much and if you write one bad review - (Chopin HiFiGo) you get cut off.

Simgot was the only exception and ask for feedback to improve zero pressure and take criticism extremely well.

Not nearly as bad as Hidizs who directly came out and said if you don’t like it return the IEM and do write a review.

DeadFi certainly is run as a profit based company and can’t be trusted.

9 Likes

They’re not just doing one thing right then (using exceptionally good drivers, good tuning and value). That would be enough to put them ahead of many companies, but treating reviews as helpful critiques rather than ads… I really appreciate a lot of what Simgot is doing, this is good to hear. Not just technical expertise, but maturity and respect. That’s the kind of thing that gets them support that can outlast them making a few duds if they finally do.

8 Likes

I missed this because I have Redcarmoose set to “ignore.”

4 Likes

I started creation of the HifiGuides 2023 Playlist on spotify. I am not using Tidal anymore, so can’t really make it there if most are the users of that, but it is very simple to migrate it to there automatically with use of https://soundiiz.com

How it is done:
It is based on 35 answers I received (:fist_right: :fist_left:), out of which 29 mentioned a specific album, so in total 1 song per person. As I did not ask for a specific favorite song I made my life easier by adding the most listened song from each album mentioned to the playlist.
If one album is mentioned more than once then I add the 2nd most listened from said album, so in theory there may be the complete album in the list in the end as long as this is sufficiently liked within the community. I think it is a fair approach, so each vote matters

P.S If someone feels like he wants to have a different specific song mentioned to represent his taste just PM me :slight_smile:
P.S.2 I did not listened to this list through, but just briefly shuffled through, but already I can see that we have as a group very eclectic genre selection :rainbow:

15 Likes