šŸ”¶ Hifiman Edition XS

Thank you for such detailed comparison! Looks like 1990 still looks nice in comparison:)) i will share my impression and comparison to 1990 with a pads next month, i hope so.

Sounds like recessed mids and less bass could be a problem to me, in this case 1990 will be endgame:))

1 Like

So the treble is more intense than on the 1990? Which pads did you use on the 1990?

Thanks for the review dude.
Iā€™m planning to use these mostly for EDM so youā€™ve put my mind to rest.

To anyone,
Regarding the cable port size on the cups, are they 3.5mm like the Sundaraā€™s? Just want to make sure I order the right type.
Planning on getting 3.5 dual (from cups) to 4.4 (to DAC) from ATKā€™s link

1 Like

Yes, the EDXS and Sundara use the same 3.5mm connection on the cup end.

2 Likes

I use A-pads.

Both headphones are definitely treble-forward, but it seems like the XSā€™ treble stands out more because there isnā€™t as much bass on it as there is on the 1990.

gzbaga on headfi just measured his pair. looks basically just like i thought it would.

and vs ananda:

6 Likes

thereā€™s more bass on the XS than the 1990 with a pads.

Thanks for sharing the graphs! By the way, in that thread, I read that you recommend an amp that could feed them at least 2w. I was thinking about the Topping A50s, but in that same thread you discourage it for being harsh. Any chance you know anything about the Aoshida Dilvpoetry DAC DT-1? I watched a review on YouTube and got a little intriguedā€¦ it provides 2w on the balanced end and it has tubes, which seems a good fit for the EDXS.

i think the a50 would be fine. i was saying topping amps on certain headphones can be harsh but iā€™ve tried my XS on my a90 and it sounds great. doesnā€™t make it sibilant at all to me personally. i havenā€™t heard of the DT-1 but if aoshida is willing to put their name on it iā€™m sure its fine. cheaper tube amps tend to be pretty noisy but i cant say for sure how that one will be and the fact that it has tubes means you can change the sound a bit with tube rolling which could be nice. i donā€™t know for sure, but dilvpoetry has always been one of those companies that i suspect are rebrands of other stuff like douk audio or nobsound and i even want to throw aiyima in there but iā€™m unsure of that one. but like i said if aoshida is willing to put their name on it, itā€™s probably not bad, though iā€™d go insane without a manual volume knob.

1 Like

Getting very curious about this canā€¦ hearing alot of really strong reviews wondering if I should check it out

2 Likes

if youā€™re too on the fence iā€™ll send you my pair. theyā€™re not in perfect shape because i tested what solvents i could use to remove the paint (thinking about painting them or hydrodipping them) but itā€™s just one tiny spot on the cup. also donā€™t have the stock pads anymore either cause i stole the adapter ring for the custom pads out of them lol so theyā€™re probably not the best baseline lol.

I appreciate it but since itā€™s not stock(pads) sound it wouldnā€™t be the best trial for them otherwise Iā€™d definitely take you up on that. The signatures frequency is in line with my preference tooā€¦ has me curious as it could lead to selling my arya

Thank you very much for clarifying about the Topping and the comments on the DT-1. I also hate the fact it has no knob and personally dislike the exterior design, but if it pairs wellā€¦ I will do a little bit more research, thank you.

i havenā€™t heard the stealth aryas but iā€™m guessing theyā€™re a lot more similar to these tuning and timbre wise, but the XS is to me a lot more well rounded than the v2 arya and the timbre is leaps better than the tinny sound the arya has. gun to my head, iā€™d choose the XS over the arya, personally.

1 Like

That looks like an awesome graph, Iā€™m very tempted now ^^

Thatā€™s interesting. I thought for sure the XS had less bass.

Maybe I need to get myself a new ampā€¦

Nice! Ananda with sub-bass extension.

Awesome graph. I slightly tweaked the previous EQ profile based on it now:

These are of course already good without EQ, the only grievance I have with them on that state is the 13khz peak. I used negative high shelf and got a good enough result, but if one wants to make it more precise a mid Q around that might be better (it is difficult to assess though, as upper brilliance is hard to get right on measurement couplers).

Edit: one may be wary of the 9khz boost. The anandas had a slight ringing around 8-9khz, so perhaps it is better to leave it stock.

3 Likes

I just purchased when they popped up again on Hifigo. Fingers crossed theyā€™ll perform well on my Vali 2+ :slight_smile: Iā€™ve never turned it up past noon on low gain with the Sundara, 6XX, or LCD-2C.

It should do nicely. These cans respond well to tube hybrid.
I donā€™t have a Vali 2+, but on my xDuoo MT-602 w/ upgraded tubes they sing beautifully.

1 Like