šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE5XX

Anyone have the he560 v4 or other version that can compare it to the he5xx?

Ok, I just found that in an SBAF thread. :flushed:

2 Likes

How did they do it? just take a couple things of blutak, kneed it and stretch it?

And then apply the blu-tak along the border of the inner opening of the baffle as shown in takato14ā€™s post:

1 Like

Just tried itā€¦ It helps a littleā€¦ Not much, but a little. I donā€™t know that itā€™s enough to be worth it though.

Probably worth it for everyone here watching the Bass Gods Approved thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there a post in particular youā€™re talking about?

Most are great heh I really like, and listen to electronic music a lot, so Iā€™m considering buying HE5XXs and modding these like that.

Oh, I also found out that thereā€™s 30% less bass on youtube videos (not exaggerating), official youtube video of a song versus the CD-quality, lossless version. So if you really want to hear the difference it makes, only lossless files will do.

Might want to try these. :man_shrugging: https://youtu.be/D8eF9VnWAkY
https://youtu.be/Mlm89DE4jaE

By the way, the 5XXs are on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/-/fr/HE5XX/dp/B08P55D5YW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=he5xx&qid=1608271992&sr=8-3

Could be to compensate for the bass-overloaded consumer headphones?

1 Like

I would rather think itā€™s because of dynamic normalization that Youtube does. By compressing the dynamic range, you usually get less bass since bass is usually the most boosted in contemporary music. On a spectrum visualizer on something like Foobar, I can see that bass is a good 5-10dB louder than mids for a good amount of my EDM.

From experience, Apple Music and Tidal donā€™t force volume normalization like YouTube does. For some reason, Amazon Music (Premium) also compressed the dynamic range, which was weird.

2 Likes

What was the ā€œruleā€ already? Every thread repeats itself after 10 messages? :laughing: Iā€™m sorry @M0N lol.

These came in the mail today for me. Its my 2nd attempt at buying a fancy headphone (first was DT880 600 ohm version) and Iā€™ve got the iFi Zen DAC and CAN amp coming soon. Also have a balanced 4.4mm cable for them coming as well. For schiits and giggles I plugged them into my Yamaha RX-363 (not a good headphone amp by any stretch) and it absolutely struggles to push them to any sort of loudness even at +10db, its sort of ridiculous. Hereā€™s hoping the iFi helps with that. For now Iā€™m just chilling on my modded Monoprice Retros, heh.

I encouraged you to not assess based on your HT Receiverā€™s headphone output.

agreed. planars are notoriously hard to drive and on a AV receiver the headphone out is an afterthought as itā€™s about driving speakers.

Yup totally, Iā€™ve got ifi ZEN CAN and DAC coming in the mail in a week or so which will hopefully be leagues above this dumb HT receiver

1 Like

Youā€™ve done well.

The iFi can push it, especially when done balanced.

keep in mined source file quality will also affect how headphones will sound. you want 320kbps MP3 at minimum. so if you stream from Spotify, Tidal, etc, you want the Premium / HD level subscription.

I have been using mine with modius+RNHP. I think it is a good pairing. The forward not so wide sounding RNHP brings things a little closer with more dynamics and good impact (not as airy). Also the natural timbre helps a little with the planar timber.