šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

I own two pairs of He-6seV2 and I had pair I had to send back to hifiman because a driver failed. So I have tried 3 pairs across a number of amps. You can believe my experience or not, but you do not need a speaker amp for these headphones. You need current not watts to drive them well.

1 Like

I donā€™t have the MT-604 any more to compare. :man_shrugging:

I am thinking maybe to get Oor or AHB2 for HE6se.

Honestly I think the jot 2 powers them just fineā€¦ Ik there is better headphone amps out there but a speaker amp with taps is not the answer sound like a bunch of distortion waiting to happenā€¦

Speaker amps <$1K is very hit-or-miss with the HE6seV2. Some might work, most are probably not great. I briefly had my HE6seV2 plugged into my Adcom GFA-555ii, which is a monster of an amp. It sounded just ok. It could work, but the Cayin HA-1Amk2 and my Vio HPA-V281 made it sound a lot better.

1 Like

The He-6seV2 love current. A high current Amp will drive them much better than one that just outputs a lot of watts. Plus when you do the math for 45, 90, or 100w stereo amps, they are rated normally for 4 or 8 ohm, so when you take it to 50ohm then you get between 12 to 20 watts. Which is a lot but not as much as someone posting about 90w mono amps would make you believe.

1 Like

Manā€¦when it rains, it pours. After finding a combo that works well with the HE6se v2 quite a while back, I ordered a backup pair in case anything happened to my pair and ordered another pair as a gift for someone but didnā€™t end up giving it to them because they went another route with amps so I had two backups, both of which didnā€™t have stuck drivers and sounded flawless so back in their boxes they went to stay protected.

Last night out of nowhere, disaster struck in the worst way possible and my daily driver pair had the left side die. Super disappointing, but not the end of the world, I have two backups. Swapped the pads and grills over to the second pair and threw them on my noggin and died a little inside. Instantly noticed a channel imbalance and looked inside and of fucking course the driver on the right cup is stuck even though it was fine months ago when I last checkedā€¦so I popped the grills off of my other backup pair and found them to be stuck as well.

Iā€™m fucking livid.

6 Likes

Wow! So sorry to hear that, and that is the reason I am staying clear of those headphones, and not having the right amp for them.

2 Likes

So, you have three defective pairs? Wow! Do you/did you send all three pairs back?

Good luck!

1 Like

Hopefully I am getting my new grills tomorrow. Pretty excited!

Omg I returned my LCD x to buy a he6se V2ā€¦ Love this meaty and impactful sound but i think Iā€™m going to search for another headphone with similar tonality if it existsā€¦

Sorry to hear this. Hope you can get it sorted. I donā€™t understand the whole ā€œstuck driverā€ issue. What does that mean exactly? Is this something that is unique to the HE6SE or is this a planar thing? It sounds like an unfixable condition.

Do not like the sound of that! Luckily mine dont seem to have the issue(yet) but I might look for something else now.

Got my grills today. Post office delivered after 8:00PM! They were pretty backed up because everything was closed on Friday due to an ice storm.

Wow, they are really thin. I thought they would be more substantial. I will get into my mod tomorrow and take a few picā€™s.

4 Likes

Geez sorry to hear that man :frowning:

Can you maybe use the left cup of one pair with the right cup of a second pair? You may not be able to notice any channel imbalance even if the drivers were not paired by Hifiman, hell we know their QC is borderline non-existent, lol

The Burson Soloist does the same thing and it is a headphone amp, with all the refinement you can only find in headphone amps.

HE 560 v4 from adorama w/ a fabric mesh grille: HIFIMAN fabric mesh grill | eBay

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I just bought one.

I spent several days working on a grill mod. First ones didnā€™t work well, as the Elmerā€™s didnā€™t cut it for my application. I then tried a different glue, maybe too much, as there a few spots, but I have decided they are good enough. :laughing:

Pounding through the iFi on a Saturday afternoon.

Maybe spray glue could solve your problems if the application is the source of your troubles Shane :wink:

That may well be the case, but this morning I was like if the second looks good enough, I am done. :grin:

Both are about 98% good and thatā€™s close enough for me. Once theyā€™re mounted and in use, they are just fine.

And not to be forgotten, I LOVE these headphones! I am Really surprised that so many people give up on these. Of course I donā€™t understand all the love for Sennheiser either, so I guess it just breaks down to the fact that we all hear differently. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like