đŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

Does the Mini even have enough juice to power the HE6 properly? I know when Golden did his review of it he said it couldn’t quite power the Susvara correctly.

Have tried to change tubes on Pro iCan?

I have never heard the GS-X Mini, but it is pretty pricey. I see those for sale, used, in Canada for $2K. Too rich for my blood. For that price it would have to have some outstanding features. I am sure it is a good sounding amp, but at that price I would need more.
I paid $1,500.00 up here for the iCAN and it has massive power, a nice clean sound and lots of toys.

Of course I am sure that there are lots of GS-X owners that will tell you it is worth it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not yet. I keep drifting over to eBay to find a pair of WE 396a’s, but have yet to hit the Buy button. About $200.00 for a matched pair.

1 Like

It was pretty loose and muddy and the soundstage was very vague. I hate to give Amir from ASR any credit for anything but he measured the HE6se v2 at 64 ohm which puts it at just slightly harder to drive than the Susvara (and objectively harder to drive than all of the other HE6 variants which were 50ohm) so I’m sure it’s the same story.

3 Likes

Now I am thinking should I just get LCDX and sell HE6se? And I don’t need to spend $1k+ on an amp.

Buying a better amp will give any other headphones you ever have better sound as well so it’s not like it’s a total waste. Keep in mind the HE6se v2 has an MSRP of $1800, would you have bought them if they were that much and would you expect them to be as capable as they are on your current gear if they cost that much? I know it’s kinda shitty but they are the absolute hardest to drive headphones on the planet, so there’s a certain degree of caution that should be taken with buying them for sure, but there’s options that can have some pretty decent results for cheaper like I had a decent result from an Aiyima A07 (and A08 was honestly not horrible either) with 3 burson v6 vivid opamps but that involves mods and I could totally see not being comfortable with it and there’s a lot of trust to be placed in a cheap speaker amp to not destroy your nice headphones and I can totally understand not wanting to go that route (and I honestly don’t know that I would personally recommend it because of the risks, but it was actually solidly decent for the price, especially given that even several $700+ amps didn’t have nearly the control that it gave with an upgraded power supply and it only cost like $300 total).

I am waiting for a package with Bottlehead Mainline. Do you think is it OK with HE6se?

I think the lowest amount of power I’ve ever personally found to drive them was with a rating of around 8w at 50ohm rated. But even it wasn’t the greatest pairing. They really do take some serious power but when they get it there’s a “HOLY SHIT” moment and it’s pretty shocking especially when you have heard them on dozens of sources and all of the sudden it hits you in the face what power can accomplish.

2 Likes

I ran them fine off of a Liquid Platinum, which puts out more than 4W per channel. When I added a Schiit Loki it gave it a little something special. The LP goes on sale for $599.00 and lower.

Some say the Asgard 3 can run them, but I have my doubts.

If you don’t want to splurge on an amp, the HE6se V2’s are probably not the right choice for you. The classified’s on all the forums have HE6se V2’s for sale by underwhelmed owners.

People see a set of headphones for $600.00, that are very hyped, but nobody tells them how important the amp is.
Can just anybody buy cheap Porsches, Mercedes and BMW’s for under $20K? Yup! Can just anybody afford the proper maintenance and repairs? Nope.

2 Likes

Read on another forum that the rebel amp could drive them but not sure because it has only around 1w, so i would be cautious :stuck_out_tongue:

the rebel amp wasn’t awful but it was way oversmoothed and lacked quite a bit of micro detail. had a decent synergy imo but the HE6se v2 literally outperformed the capabilities of the amp by quite a bit.

I had both the LCD-X and the HE6 for a few months and ended up selling the LCD-X after i got a Burson Soloist 3XP, then the HE6 destroyed the LCD-X and it was pointless to keep it.
I love Audeze headphones and i was absolutely surprised when i decided to sell it without a doubt in my mind, i never saw that coming but the HE6, when properly amped, is something in its own league. I never heard summit fi stuff such as the Susvara or 1266 so i can’t quite say it is similar, but if you can afford a Soloist + HE6 i REALLY doubt you will regret it.
The LCD-X is excellent but requires tons of EQ to sound right (which is ok by me), and compared to the HE6 it lacks soundstage, detail, air, bass slam, imaging, well it lacks a bit of everything except sub-bass which is a pretty close call.

Now if you are on a budget i really loved the synergy between the LCD-X and the Drop 789 which is a super cheap amp. Some people hate it because it is 100% transparent and “lifeless” but imo it paired really well with the LCD-X + EQ.

Nope, with the Asgard the HE6 is lean, bright and lacks dynamics. It was my fist amp with the HE6.

2 Likes

It’s such a hard sell that an amp can do what a soloist does to an he6 after having normal entry amps isn’t it? Doesn’t seem like you couldn’t possibly be missing out on that much and then you hear it.

2 Likes

Did you get the super chargers on the Burson? or was it bone stock?
Considering getting one for my 4-screw HE-6 but not sure what to look for on the classifieds.

Totally, i had a Schiit Heresy in the beginning and when i upgraded to the Asgard 3 i was like “ok this is a bit better overall, nothing crazy”. Then i upgraded to the Drop 789 and i was like “hmm i like this and the extra power it brings to the table is welcome, but still nothing crazy”.

I was skeptical about the Soloist making a huge difference as some had reported so i bought an open box deal so i could re-sell it losing as little money as possible when i proved to myself it was not worth it, but when i heard it i was like “HOLY S***!!!”, lol

It is definitively not for everyone since it is expensive for a headphone amp, but if you have the means i say it is worth every cent.

3 Likes

I did get the super charger and it changed the Soloist’s sound a bit, but i can’t quite put my finger on it so i would not recommend it at full price myself, i was pretty satisfied with the Soloist when using the original power supply. I don’t regret buying the super charger since the Soloist is my endgame amp, like seriously i will never again change amps, so i wanted to know it is running at its full potential for peace of mind :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is one of those times i wish i was rich :slight_smile:

Did you get the 3A or 5A?

The 3A is for the Soloist 3XP (and other models) the 5A is for the GT (and I want to say the Timekeeper.

1 Like