šŸ”· Holo Spring 2

Personally I would say go spring here imo, and consider the may later on if you end up liking the spring, I would take things in steps here

1 Like

All up and running. Iā€™ve been using it for the last day, mainly with the HD800S and entirely with the GS-X Mini. A greater sense of clarity and detail than with the Cyan, which in turn made the Bifrost 2 sound veiled by comparison.

The differences between DACs is so small sometimes, but it works in the same way that once someone points out a certain ingredient in the meal youā€™re eating, it suddenly becomes all you can taste. The actual degree to which the Cyan and Spring 2 KTE differ is tiny, but once you know itā€™s there that tiny difference becomes quite a significant factor.

For me, the Cyan initially sounded instantly and noticeably clearer and more precise than the BF2, but at the expense of some warmth and low-end impact. I then actually started to prefer the Cyanā€™s low end, because the bass response it engenders from my amp is actually just a bit more measured and accurate than that of the BF2, and then on top of that thereā€™s a greater sense of space, clarity and separation.

Now with the Spring 2 KTE that sense of space goes up another notch, and itā€™s the Cyanā€™s turn to sound less precise and measured. Bass is tighter and more impactful, separation and layering are better defined, and yet again I find myself noticing new details in songs Iā€™ve heard a hundred times. The main added benefit over the Cyan - for me - is that sense of moving another step away from congestion.

That being said, the Cyan is fantastic, and the Spring 2 KTE is not significantly better in my system. Itā€™s a rung higher on the ladder, but the higher you climb the DAC ladder the closer together the rungs get, and as good as this sounds, itā€™s still very close to the Cyan, and to me the price difference probably isnā€™t worth it, but thatā€™s just me. I havenā€™t decided completely whether Iā€™ll keep it or not.

8 Likes

Will be curious on your thoughts (also when you try it out on a higher end amp as well), glad itā€™s working well so far :+1:

1 Like

My head hurts After reading every sentence In this thread and also i dislike you ALL very much nowā€¦:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :rage:

So, if i want to use my streamer As cleanly as possible, i assume i have to get rid of my laptop?
If yes, what is the ā€œcleanestā€ Roon endpoint i can use? Is there anything that would provide me a SPIDIF output rather than a USB or both?

Only MON can say with ease the Mini is not a higher end amp.

1 Like

I said higher lol, the mini is already a higher end amp

1 Like

As a brief aside, as I know this isnā€™t the place, but what would be a step up from the Mini that isnā€™t the Mk. 2?

Will give the Spring 2 until Monday, then I expect the guy who sent it is going to want me to make my mind up. Itā€™s everything that the Cyan is, but more refined on every level. The Cyan is truly excellent-sounding.

1 Like

It depends on where you want to take things, would you want to try and maintain a similar signature or want to deviate in a specific way?

When do you get the pendant in?

1 Like

It shipped last week but the tracking hasnā€™t updated since Monday. I suspect itā€™s not an express service. I actually specified FedEx and they shipped it via DHL instead, but I love ZMF so Iā€™m not going to hold a grudge. Iā€™ve been spoiled by Schiit, who get stuff to me in literally two business days from California (Iā€™m in the UK), but I guess theyā€™re a bigger outfit.

Impressions of the Spring 2 KTE continue to evolve: I can hear EVERYTHING, or at least it seems that way. Iā€™m sure the difference would be very subtle if I A/B tested, but the Spring 2ā€™s clarity and resolution is such that - and I know itā€™s a well-worn sentiment, but - Iā€™m noticing more detail in songs I know well. Itā€™s actually detailed enough that I think I find it slightly fatiguing - cymbals and consonants are occasionally a bit on the sharp, piercing side, and thatā€™s even when using something like the Verite. The Arya was positively tough to listen to, but that could have just been my ears and the time of day it was - I donā€™t know about anyone else, but anything above a certain volume is a bit much for me early in the day, and as the evening sets in I feel a bit less aurally sensitive.

But yes, very interesting. Very very detailed.

5 Likes

Are you running it NOS?

Yes. Exclusively.

1 Like

I remember hearing a lot of feedback that the headamp GSx 2 was overly bright donā€™t didnā€™t get that from the mini reviews. Maybe it just takes the spring the bring it out on the mini.

The mini is still pretty bright imo, the gsx mk2 is brighter though to an extent. But both are bright amps imo

Jesus this thing is huge but DAMN initial sound is amazing.

12 Likes

Itā€™s a monster isnā€™t it! What do you think so far? Itā€™s the highest level of detail Iā€™ve heard from a DAC.

1 Like

Considering on the rebound for one of my ears (motorcycle related ear incident). But the good earā€¦ can confirm. With the GS X Mini -> Diana Phiā€¦ Everything I dreamed of and more!

The synergy of this system is everything I loved with the Bifrost 2 -> RNHP -> LCD X chain but with more slam, clearer bass, unfathomable details. Iā€™m speaking primarily about the NOS mode.

Overall, I have to say I REALLY dig this DAC. Full write up when Iā€™m all healthy and give this thing a solid couple of weeks and an A/B with the Bifrost 2.

2 Likes

Mine is now also hooked up to the Pendant. Iā€™ve decided to keep it after all - itā€™s a level of additional detail that I canā€™t unhear. Iā€™ll be sending it back to the store I bought it from and paying the difference for a new one (due to the unforeseen scratch this one has).

3 Likes

Itā€™s a shame, depending on the deal you might be able to help out the original seller and sell it here. I know @sa11297 wants to blame me for a purchase.

I would, but I can only imagine how much the international shipping would cost, and these things are more expensive in the UK than the US - my scratched ex-demo model was more expensive than a new one in the US.

1 Like