šŸ”· Holo Spring 2

Im on the bf2 > rnhp > lcd-x chain now. When youre on to youre next level after this ill be happy to relieve you of this chain. I do feel like that may be a decent while though.

1 Like

My wallet is tell me this is end game. Iā€™m sure M0N will prove me otherwiseā€¦ but the thought of the Mola Mola Tambaqui with a Broadway by Eleven amp has piqued my interest. But this synergy is just something that is so enjoyable.

2 Likes

Without listening to anything extremely high end (i consider my chain high end ymmv) then im sure the diminishing returns kick in hard above your level. Im sure there is more to gain but like my car addiction told me youre spending a couple grand for ~20hp gains.

Which @DagoRed i know you like green amps but how about green cars?

3 Likes

I got 2 motorcycles, I get it. I started restoring Model Aā€™s when I young when I stayed with my grandfather. And green cars? Of course!

1 Like

Last off the rails post. I hope to one day build a kit car (classic cobra) or restore an old '67 thunderbird 4 door with my dad. Not sure if money, health or time will allow but that is one of my 3 addictions (audio, computers, cars, ok 4 food)

2 Likes

lol every time I see someone post about the Mola Molaā€¦ I think of some Polynesian guys dancing around in a grass skirt twirling a flaming stick accompanied by a gang of coconut shell drummers.

Itā€™s a very specific image (I know) but most likely my own issuesā€¦

6 Likes

Does anyone know how long this DAC needs to be on and stabilize? I havenā€™t found comments about it like the Yggdrasil.

Really like a day or so, not super long. Itā€™s probably most of the way there after a few hours tbh. If your unit is new there might be a bit longer due to burn in, but it shouldnā€™t be too significant of a difference. Not as long as a yggy for sure

1 Like

So I need to enjoy my DAC longer to ensure itā€™s burned in properly. Got it.

3 Likes

Lol yeah basically just listen and enjoy it, perhaps leave it on all the time if you donā€™t want to wait each day for warm up

1 Like

As someone whose dad isnā€™t around anymore, I sincerely hope you get around to doing that - thatā€™s a beautiful thing to look forward to.

1 Like

The guy I bought mine from said the following about buying a new one:

ā€œRemember that the KTE is the silver version (wiring and transformer) so will take quite a time with burn in to get to its full performance - I noticed benefits at 100-150 hours and then again at 350+ā€.

That seems like a long time. I donā€™t know if I buy into that.

I leave my ladder DACs on all the time to avoid having to wait for them to warm up. Do I not need to do that?

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. We had a scare with him where swelled feet turned to a heart anomaly, turned into stents, turned into a triple bypass that he just had. He just got home Saturday and is still recovering and getting over the hiccups. No prior history or indication and if we didnt catch the swelled feet it probably would of been a heart attack looming.

To keep this relevant, i am trying to get him some of his smooth jazz on his phone to hook up to my asus amp/dac to listen to. He will get my hd6xx for a little but im waiting for new pads and sennheiser is backordered. Not sure where else to get them.

2 Likes

Very interesting, when I first got my kte I really didnā€™t notice a significant burn in period outside of leaving it on for a few days, but I really didnā€™t know the dac so I prob wouldnā€™t have been able to tell anyways

1 Like

Annoying discovery. My Schiit DACs have treated me so well with a wonderfully implemented USB that on the Spring 2ā€¦ USB connectivity is lost when you change inputs.

That might be on purpose actually, so that when usb isnā€™t in use it shuts off the usb card and kills the connection to prevent extra noise and interference from usb since you arenā€™t using it?

That is just poor design if that is the case. If the usb was isolated like the unison usb it would not matter. Instead it has to power up and get the clocking working on every device as itā€™s switched. The answer is to use some usb to AES that you mentioned in the systems diagram thread. Ideally the Spring 2 is said to sound the best on I2S.

For a fair amount of my dacs they disconnect and shut down usb when usb isnā€™t being used so this seems like common design unfortunately

Yes if you have a high quality ddc that can boost performance later on

1 Like

Iā€™m using my Cyan on I2S for two reasons. 1) the USB out from the PC was less than perfect. Putting a DDC reclocker in the loop made a dramatic difference. 2) Precisely what you just said. I can get COAX SPDIF I2S, I2SE and have all of them connected at the same time to three different DACs if thatā€™s what I was looking to do.

The benefits of having your PC ā€œseeā€ only one Digital out is priceless operationally. :slight_smile:

You might even get a noticeable performance bump in the process if your USB like mine was less than optimal.

1 Like

I can sayā€¦ the latest driver from the Spring 2 uses UAC 2 for sure and works GREAT with linux!!! Itā€™s nice to see the feedback for sample rate from my computer displayed in itā€™s proper glory!

1 Like