How old are you?

The shockproofing technology was key!!

I had this device where you could connect your discman to your car stereo via the casette player. All powered with a cigarette lighter plug (they were actually cigarette lighters, back then).

4 Likes

Yup. I had that, and I’m trying to remember the last car or Van my parents had that had the cassette player. I can’t do it, don’t remember.

I’d like amir to measure the best cassette converter.

I think I also had the rf radio transmitter that sucked even more.

1 Like

I actually remember hearing the hissing noise and obvious distortion with that thing, even after all these years.

Is there such a thing a negative SINAD?

1 Like

I still have one of these lying around (no idea if it still works)
My first mp3 player $500 for 6GB’s (an actual spinning disk HD) in 2000
For point of reference it’s the same size as a portable CD player.

3 Likes

I am 26. I knew about the hobby for a while. My father is an audiophile with an extensive vinyl collection. His mainstays are his vintage JBL 4312’s. But he also has another set of JBLs that are left, right and center that I don’t remember the model of. He also has a pair of 901’s that he enjoys for classical music (despite the general hate for Bose from audiophiles).

While I enjoyed his setup and collection, I was always fine with decent gaming headsets and cheap computer speakers. I recently got into the hobby more after buying a pair of IEMs the Tin T2s and then, shortly after, the Acoustic Research AR-E10s. I was surprised at how much better they sounded compared to the crappy earphones that come with your phone. My next purchase was a proper headphone in the Sennheiser 58X since I always like my old gaming headset a Sennheiser U320. Unfortunately the U320s died, and I ended up getting a MH752 after seeing Zeos’ video on it.

On the speaker front, I had the fortune of winning a free EVGA NU Audio Sound Card which features an impressive DAC and decent headphone amp. After that, I got a Parasound zAmp v3 to power a pair of old Mission 760i’s that my father had lying around. Finally, I have reached a happy place with my JBL Studio 530’s and 550P Subwoofer. Going to let my wallet recover and ride this wave until the upgrade bug itches again.

1 Like

I started a thread months ago on how we all got into this hobby. This age question is related. I’ll post a link to the old thread here. I would enjoy reading stories from our newer community members, as well as those who didn’t reply the first time around.

Still have it- found it in a box a few days ago

6 Likes

I started with Walkman, upgraded to Discman and still have the Sony blue Mini-Disc Player
loved the versatility

1 Like

I’m 17 and have been in this hobby for about 6-7 months. Got the Sennheiser Urbanite as my first even headphone,and that got me into headphone( audio in general). I have to work part-time job to buy more equipment

3 Likes

That’s fucking cool!!! Impressive job keeping it

Impressive that you work for it!

Haha YouTube at it again . I’ve never heard beats but kinda feel ya, I used to think those were high end headphones (sound quality) because they were the only headphones that costed hundreds of dollars that I had heard of. And they were at the big stores like Walmart! So I thought if I ever wanted good audio I would eventually have to buy beats

1 Like

apropos beats… these are on sale!

2 Likes

Weird, no reviews…

I’m 30, my dad has an old pair of sansuis and I honestly can’t think of how they sound but they look reeeaallly cool haha we’ve also done speaker building and modding. Finding Zeos also didn’t help my hobby. Hah

1 Like

I’m 40, started getting into the hobby in around 2010 but sort of on hiatus since 2014 (got LCD2 and Grados and stuck with them). Got back into it again in 2018 because of Zeos. Loving music since early teen.

1 Like

Stuck with them since they felt like an endgame?

Haha true that. Pretty cool how u got into it tho

1 Like

Thats tight, I’m too young so I was past the Walkman generation. By my time I think they had or were creating ipods and zunes lol.

That reminds me we used a PSP for music!!! Didn’t have an ipod, zuñe or shitty mp3 player. The first way I was able to play music was really from a PSP. Since then I still use phones or my tablet to play music, since I might actually get a pc dac tho it looks like I’m finally switching away from that for my speaker set up