IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I’ve only heard the pre-production version of the Cad 12 and it’s one of my favs. The vocals are :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand: TOTL imho. Hits my preferences perfectly - too bad it’s not the retail version :confused:

1 Like

I believe its the 4x3mm High density: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004052500811.html

You can use a 500 mesh instead of tanchjim filters if u dont have any (and if u use 500 mesh, the 6x5mm high density foam will probably be better): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004052530517.html

aizen-plan

1 Like

Yea, you right. I messed up the filters on my z300 since I had a volume mismatch and it turned out to be because of the filters. If I can do a slight adjustment I can get them back into their sweet zone as I really like them alot…

1 Like

Strange interference from them since you’ve been routinely complimentary of their offings.

This is true. Obviously I love my Serial but I can use like 1 out of 6 cables with it, the others are too loose even if they’re fine in other sets.

2 Likes

Quick tribute to the EN1000, and shoutout of thanks to @GooberBM

These are really doing it for me as my clear, wide, treble present but not bass weak set. You can tell the DD is made of something special.

I’ve recently really been appreciating clear sounding balanced sets that don’t remove bass to get there, EA500 (even with subbass roll off) and in a recent reaudition, I really really like the Olina SE. I’d say it’s like a tgxears bud in IEM form for good timbre, balance, and imaging. I rate it very highly. But if you’ve got the money, or incredibly kind friends, this “Wonder King” comes out on top.
This is a killer female vocal set for me too by the way, volume scales to provide huge textured vocals.

Although I wouldn’t unless my hand were forced, with this and the Serial I feel I have a complimentary pair that would check all the boxes. (Serial with more speaker-like bass, and a little more relaxed approach.)

There are sets that come close but ultimately would be redundant to me vs the coverage this pairing can give.

For one example I am a huge fan of Michael Bruce’s Eru, but I have to tip roll to get rid of some consonant sibilance* and at rare times even that doesn’t fully remove the problem. While that issue in how I hear things might be my longest running thorn in my side as far as sets that I love becoming non-reach-for sets (and as far as I’m aware is from the midrange gain rising in the 1-2k region, but I may be off on this and it’s not always graph justifiable) it’s a hidden blessing as far as eliminating some otherwise top runners I’d have to struggle to pick between.

*listening to singers saying “t, ch, s, sh” and wincing or having to brace for it

11 Likes

Hi everyone, saying hello to my new home😄

I was asked by head-fi “pay us money to become sponsor or simply shut up” so I quited that ransom site.

Anyway, is looks like this is the lobby, so I’d like to share something I’m excited to hear.

I ordered qdc’s first single DD exclusive to Japanese market from Amazon JP, the qdc SUPERIOR, yes it’s after the great lakes.

Amazon JP ships this internationally, so I paid a total of 15k JPY, 110USD including expedited DHL shipping, not a bad deal👏

I’ll leave the Amazon JP URL in case anyone interested. As far as I hear from my Japanese twitters pals who tried Superior at Japanese version of this onsite expos, it was pretty positive.

19 Likes

Greetings dear member of the trade. Over here, after 10 posts, you have to pay money to become a regular member. Nah, just kidding.

While I’m eager to try my first QDC I fear this dreaded cat ears/cencibel graph.

Thanks for the tip though and enjoy the free view.

5 Likes

Not a rant bro.
I had a similar experience 4 years ago. Why i never get Penon stuff because the block and cancel my orders.

11 Likes

HEXA (3BA+1LCP) and Vulkan (I recall 4BA+2DD) has different compositions, Vulkan took 10khz~13khz a more compensated approach. HEXA is more monitor style tuned one that I’d say.

Still, HEXA is amazingly well tuned and nice sounding $79 IEM, kudos to Moondrop engineers who joined the truthear projected.

4 Likes

Oh this explain that. Got the Neo5 and it was complicated to insert the cable… at the moment I wasn’t sure about QA since it was my first Penon purchase.

2 Likes

Oh hey I recognize you from your head-fi username! Welcome!! :raising_hand_man:

In fact I could be wrong but I think you’re working on your own IEM? :thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

So i have been looking for different eartips on AE. I know people prefer different but what are some highly rated ones?
What does different materials do for listening experience? like does foam enhance bass and so on. I was thinking of ordering different types and sizes. Im not sure if i use M or L because they both fit me, and they both seem a good fit.
Il take any eartip info i can get from you guys.

2 Likes

Hello sir!

Tips are extremely subjective, so sizing is absolutely going to be up to you. However, I can rec some of my favorites for your to consider! These can be all found on AliExpress if you have access in your country.

-TS400 Foam tips for an excellent and cheap foam tip. Literally the only foams I’d recommend.

• H570 Latex tips. These are fairly neutral sounding but they are latex rather than traditional silicone, latex can sometimes irritate skin on some individuals.
  • Azla SednaFit short for longer nozzles, non-short for shorter nozzles. These are matte finish tips which to my ears, helps clean up mid bass and emphasize upper mids if that’s your thing.
  • whizzer SS20. My go to short, wide bore tip. Slightly firmer than usual wide bore tips, these help emphasize mid bass and open up vocals nicely. They’re also very cheap!

Start with these. Any questions, feel free to ask :muscle:

5 Likes

Thank you for the reply.

I have seen those “double” tips, meaning there is a small tip over the main tip. I have seen spiral tips aswell. Do they so anything to the sound?

1 Like

Double flange tips are hit or miss for me. They’re usually very long so keep that in mind. The only ones I can confidently recommend are Spinfit CP240s. Give ‘em a shot and see if they work for you.

Spiral dots are incredible tips. They diffuse sound in theory, so they smoothen treble response and they really truly work for my Mangird OG Teas. They are wonderful tips BUT - they are stupid expensive. I was lucky enough to get a pair of smalls for free from @ctjacks336. But I could not justify paying for them personally.

2 Likes

Take a look at some tip ranking/lists.

My favorite ones are these
Final Audio Type E
Elecom EHP-CAP20
Radius Deep Mount

5 Likes

Spinfit W1 is generally the most comfortable and best sounding for me.

Pentaconn Coreir are also pretty good for me.

2 Likes
4 Likes

In this hobby there are hype train people and tree chop people. I’m a sit on the edge and dip my toe person.

The Kiwi ears Quintet was on the hype train rails for at least a week before the tree chop people were writing of its “huge disappointments”

Well having lived with the Quintet the Swiss army knife iem I can say its a fabulous arounder that after 60 hours burn in plays across all genres with aplomb.

I have iems that have better bass or smoother mids or more sparkling treble but they all have weaknesses in other areas where as the Quintet is just a wonderful cohesive A+ across all frequencies.

I drank the cool aid and it tastes good 1

9 Likes