IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Tweaking the Aphex:

• Added micropore on rear vent which is wide open - even on the Serials this hole has a miniature filter to control subbass levels, I personally prefer with a coupe dB less subbass which I imagine this small mod provides, and reduces a slight dryness I’m sensitive to when subbass overtakes midbass.
  • Unexpected good result but followed my intuition - despite wanting to limit treble and these being wide bore tips I wouldn’t image they’d help with that goal - BGVP W01 tips are sounding good on this.

A very large stage, but intimate vocals on tracks so far.

Bass is still very full bodied, and the higher end of the V seems more mellow to me.

This and the Eru are making me realize that mods and tips aside, sometimes it’s just time of day or mystery “x” variances between listening sessions that can add or remove slight hotspots to the FR.

I expect I’m listening at different volumes each time too.

Some very neat imaging effects are worth mentioning with the Aphex too. On tracks you wouldn’t necessarily have dog-eared as “imaging testing tracks”. Case in point “Worry Rock” by Green Day’s opening: Guitars are in one place, but then vocals are much closer and from a different direction, in a very “oh I didn’t know you were in the room” surprising way.

The bass has satisfying body to it.

6 Likes

Oh my god!! :scream:
Wow I’m sorry you had to deal with that nonsense :pensive:

4 Likes

Oh let me know what variances you want graphed when you send it down to me. It’s always nice to see how the changes we hear are interpreted into a graph.

4 Likes

You got it - thanks!

3 Likes

Wow that’s insane! Recently been lurking over there more and I’m constantly reminded why I don’t like that place. The environment is way more friendly here and seems to be driven much more by our true opinions and not outside pressure or influence.

Will your IEM be available for sale or is it just a personal use project? For those of us not are informed is there any details you can share on it? Like possibly what sound signature you’re aiming for.

5 Likes

ASJP started a thread dedicated to it :+1:

5 Likes

According to the Elecom website, they are discontinued, except M size Black.
You may already know that, but just in case.

Yepp basically the same for me. Due to the balance and volume I listen at it makes it pierce the veil with the resolution as well. Very pleased.

1 Like

If you’re ordering from ali, TRN T-tips are a great deal.

3 Likes

Agreed, they’re fantastic

Ahhh T tips, I forgot to mention those yesterday. I was trying to think of good tips on my way home from work and my memory isn’t so great so I definitely missed a bunch. Yes, those T tips are fantastic. I bought way too many a few months ago :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Interesting, cuz on amazon all sizes are still there.

But good to know.

edit: seems to be discontinued yeah.

1 Like

Sadly, they are not good for someone like me who has large ear canals. :disappointed_relieved:
Hope TRN release the XL size of those like DUNU S&S and MOONDROP Spring Tips.

2 Likes

Tony (akros on YouTube) just put out a part 2 video for his Aurora review. I think some people got butt hurt on Headfi about his views on the Aurora. He made the video to clarify his views. I will never never never understand how people can get so upset by someone’s subjective opinion on the most subjective of hobbies.

8 Likes

BUT THEY DON’T LOVE MY FAVORITE IEM/BRAND AND SO THEY’RE NOW INSANE, CRAZY, AND JUST PLAIN DUMB!!!

Or…people could just enjoy what they enjoy and then:

7 Likes

Yes, you want the IEMs to be as transparent and timbrally/tonally accurate as possible and any changes to the mix (like bringing the drums up to make them easier for yhe drummer to hear) to come from the sound guy at the board. Anyone alse who says otherwise doesn’t know ehat they’re taking about.

9 Likes

Do these versions differ a lot?
Exact my feelings about the vocals on the retail version… Can’t get better than this… At least I could not imagine that

3 Likes
4 Likes

I don’t really know why this sticks out and bugs me but I don’t think I like Penon putting this message out

10 Likes