IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

A good, clean monitor with a couple of “drawbacks” (BA only, soundstage and imaging are only ‘okay’). Great first release from Prisma and a mainstay in my collection; while “neutral” isn’t really my bag most of the time, it has an almost ‘refreshing’ replay. I really dig them for metal.

1 Like

For metal?? That’s unexpected ha ha.

Not sure what it is, but I really like it with guitar-centric stuff. Some reviews noted that it has oddly-good dynamics for a 2BA, maybe that has something to do with it? I’ve never been great with explaining technicalities.

1 Like

Wow. Ha ha. Totally unexpected! Makes me realise I really don’t know anything ha ha ha. Glad you’re loving your collection sir!

1 Like

I’d love to but unfortunately in my country, I’m lucky to try anything else from JBL, budget Sonys and perhaps some Focals. There really isn’t a market for iems here

1 Like

Sad. You must be one of the coolest guys in where you are from sir. All the chicks must be crawling all over you!

1 Like

He’s about to demo more stuff just because he’s so cool. I just sent him GK10 on the last package!!!

Hes also getting mangird tea and st1 soon.

1 Like

Gk10! :scream: what a lucky guy!

New tea? Or old?

My pair! (yes, I’m crazy)

1 Like

Will they be shipped with their bulletproof glass display case?

3 Likes

You are correct, there is a queue for my autograph but a day has only 24 hours and I can’t listen and give them attention. So I chose lesser evil and decided to become a vegan. :grinning:

6 Likes

GK10 > all

I’ll send you all selfie with Dsnuts and ours GK10

4 Likes

Yes :grimacing: And two bodyguards!

3 Likes

Tea delivery lands…security on point lol…

7 Likes

@Kron I don’t know this seller but they have good feedback and a + collection only so ya can try it :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Damn that’s an amazing price, wish I had that kind of money to get it :scream:

1 Like

Okay, a little bit about the Fiio FD5.

At first, I thought these were great. The detail in particular is amazing, along with things like separation, imaging and soundstage. In fact, I was hearing things clearly in songs that I only heard on $1k Focal headphones I’ve demoed, you could pick up the singer’s breath, the slide of the guitarists fingers down the neck, all of that sort of thing. Also stuff with reverb and synth pad effects just sounded magical. (An example would be the synths at the beginning of “Six Different Ways” by the Cure, which sound wodnerful.) And it certainly didn’t have any of the problems with presence and impact I felt with the Blessing2, these are punchy and fun earphones. Also unlike the Blessing2, they sound great on the Qudelix.

But where with some earphones the more I listen to them the more I like them, with these the more I listened to them the more I didn’t like them. The problem I think has to do with the frequency response. Someone else here noted that the vocals are recessed, and that’s true, in some cases to a shocking extent. But equally instruments like guitars and synths feel like they’re right up against your face while the vocals are somewhere out in the distance passing by in the night. And the treble is peaky or something, it actually gets painful for me after a while, like I’m wincing listening to some songs, and it doesn’t help that my instinct is to turn the volume up so I can hear the vocals. The worst offender is probably stuff like Van Halen’s “Jump”, which is already mixed so that the synth is too loud and the vocals are too quiet, and on the FD5 becomes basically unlistenable.

The narrow nozzle is better in this respect than the wide nozzle, but doesn’t really fix the problem. I also tried a number of EQ solutions. I tried Crin’s EQ settings in the Qudelix, but like most Crin EQ settings I didn’t like it (he and I just have different preferences it seems). I then tried Gizaudio’s EQ settings, and those did help though at the expense of flattening thes soundstage. But it still wasn’t enough. I also tried the different tips that came with them, with the “vocal” tips sounding the best, but again, it still wasn’t enough. (And also I didn’t find them comfortable, preferring my reliable Final E tips for comfort.)

And I’m really sad, because I really wanted to like these earphones. And I think I’m going to have to sell them off.

Now I’m waiting for the JVC HA-FDX1s to arrive, I’m hoping these deliver what I’m wanting.

7 Likes

On the other hand I want to note that while I had previously given up on the Blessing2, they’ve been growing on me now on the RebelAmp. They really make tracks with complex technical performances like Jazz come alive.

2 Likes

About $95 on app + $3 off every $30 spent + coupons and promo codes

There should be some $15 off of $75 promo codes but you should be quick because they’re limited.

1 Like

Gotcha, thanks