IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I think there are some used ones for sale on Head-fi. Otherwise you can always try to ask Penon on AliX for a discount - they were offering 250 USD during launch sales.

Oh man. I canā€™t be this lucky. No way.

Iā€™m feeling sick. Besides a nightmare of sub-plan making tonight, I will get to be at home tomorrow. My girls will be staying at grandmomā€™s for most of the day. I suddenly have time to compare and listen to IEMs. Like the ton that came in the mail.

But that isnā€™t even the good news.

So far I quickly popped the LE M1 in my ears. My expectations had dropped massively since I desperately bought it to see if had some DM qualities while flying under the radar. The seller knew nothing about it and said it was probably a good beginner IEM. It looks super plain (feels incredible though). Fit with stock tips was immaculate right away. I thought I was about to regret unsealing it (instant devalue) and that I would be selling on something either awful or not special soon.

Why is Lotoo sleeping on this?

Like the DM (maybe more??) it has the largest stage of any IEM I have ever tried. I can say that straight away. A couple times I thought the sound was coming out of speakers or that for sure everyone in the room could hear what I was listening to. I donā€™t know if it graphs like the DM. But so far it has a similarly vivid-across-full-spectrum feel, I can bump the volume really nicely if I want to (no high pinna gain), and to me the bass sounds very similar to the DM to for where it swells, but also how clean it is.

Iā€™m going to reserve further comment for now. Donā€™t consider this hyped yet, itā€™s been literally a couple of minutes.

I was way more excited for the Autumn that is also on my desk. No idea where to anchor myself atm! When the girls are in bedā€¦ Iā€™m just going to listen to this for a while! While making sub plans and sending emails of course. :sweat:

Easy keep over the Oxygen for me personally, already very sure.

EDIT:

1. Just actually noticed the timestamps from the limited forum posts on these. 2015. The heck? Lotoo never release another IEM after, as far as I know - but they got SO much right with this. A little refining and they could have release a mass produced Dark Magician with great fit in 2017 hypothetically! :man_facepalming:

2. Flaws:
    a) Some of the ā€œflatnessā€ of the tuning may be to a fault. In initial listening (havenā€™t really noticed it since) some mid-pitch percussion strikes seemed a little quite or off.
    b) Iā€™m wondering if the insane stage is due to a spike in the very high frequencies, like their vague graph suggests (thereā€™s a peak they bother to show not far off 17k if Iā€™m not mistaken?) I mention it because either due to source (balanced low gain from Sony ZX300A), driver faults, or the impeccable high frequency playback, all kinds of recordings new and old can be peppered a bit like crackles in a record player. I think these probably are legitimately artifacts left from mixing/messy samples in modern music, that no-one tidied up because they usually donā€™t present as audible? That seems to be decreased too, so Iā€™ll monitor it.
    c) I really like them, I can listen to things for a long time and find them both non fatiguing and engaging. Some spacial cures are unlike any others, in one case Nick Caveā€™s voice came from right underneath everything else.
    d) Still super comfortable.

7 Likes

Nice! And to keep your good luck streak - Qudelix is back in stock on their website!

1 Like

Yes! And on Amazon by early Feb :slight_smile: thanks!

1 Like

T this set may out may not be good, but the official graph suite is pure marketing product :star_struck:

Triple DD? Good for vintage recordings? Nice

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Iems when Im outside, but recently itā€™s been reaching -20c and is this bad for them or is it fine?

The BQEYZ Autumn has a safe tuning and many of the advantages inherent to single dynamic driver designs. However, its technical performance is average and certain aspects of its tuning come with trade-offs I would rather not make.

My full review, with frequency response measurements and additional images, is available on my blog:

3 Likes

Iā€™m listening to these on and off to gather thoughts myself. So far driver flex and finnicky fit are pesky and donā€™t encourage me to pick them easily.

I look forward to reading this fully later :+1:

1 Like

Whatā€™s your take on the Serials? Iā€™m literally gobsmacked how good these are. And I came to the personal conclusion that a good IEM has to provide a rumbly visceral low end to even be considered in my S tier. Thatā€™s how I experienced music from the youngest of age till my now 41 years on earth.

3 Likes

not gonna lie, a bit jealous :stuck_out_tongue: chose the Oxygen over the Serial back during 11.11 salesā€¦kinda regretting it, especially with the release of Olina. Oh well, hindsightā€™s a bi&*h

1 Like

Hmmm understandable meanwhile I have so many single DDs and none have the prowess of a multi DD. I also struggled to bite the bullet for the Serial but it was all worth it. I never heard the Oxy thats why I ordered the Olina. 1st because I want to support HBB and 2nd out of curiosity about the Oxy praise.
What I can honestly say is that my preference at this moment is like this:

1. Multi DD
  2. Tribrid
  3. Single DD
  4. Hybrid
  5. All BA
4 Likes

What I wish for is an affordable Multi DD + EST. That would be absolutely killah.

2 Likes

My new pair came today, looking forward to giving them some listening time. Theyā€™re really good, for sure!

1 Like

@thoohill this is important. Use ePro Horn EP00 tips, a size smaller than tip sizes you usually use, for deep insertion. Tell me how it hits you. (Similar results probably with other silicon tips as long as smaller to go deeper).

I had found the mids a little dry/recessed in the mix, but not right now. Stage has benefited from it too. Iā€™m loving this. Personal record player in my head.

Whatā€™s special about the sub bass is that itā€™s doesnā€™t just extend, it carries some thump like often IEMs only do with mid bass.

My heart says Iā€™m completely fine with this! I know 15 minutes from now, or tomorrow or something things wonā€™t seem so perfect. Having a good evening for now though thatā€™s for sure.

2 Likes

The keys to the kingdom?

9 Likes

Some quick Odin impressions.

Great bass, you have to live with the mids though if youā€™re sensitive to that area.

2 Likes

Hello,
Would this cable work with any mmcx IEM?

Yeah should do but it wonā€™t have a shaped over ear loop like most IEM cables.

1 Like

Hello everyone. I am currently listening to music with Legacy 5 and found out my left ear is very sensitive to 800-1000 Hz region (there is piercing sound coming on some tracks with female vocals, horn-like and bell-like instruments). That is not the case with the right ear. At first I thought that something was wrong with my unit but after reversing channels and after swapping earpieces and think the problem is indeed with my left ear. Has something similar happened to anyone?