IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Haha I hope I don’t hype it up too much. When I had the serial I never tried tips that optimized the bass since I was always trying to squeeze more treble out so it could be when both are optimized for bass response the serial wins

1 Like

I would very much like to meet this person one day. Would be awesome to share and exchange interests.

Gotcha! And as for helping to A/B, I can believe your judgement enough since you listened to kpop before! If there are any additional assistance, I’ll DM you! Thanks! :grin:

Kpop just need good imaging and a decent soundstage cause vocals in their tracks won’t be only be in the mids. Bright is usually good for kpop but I prefer a bit more warmer, especially when I’m strictly gonna use it on my A55 instead of the M3X.

2 Likes

If you don’t have any particular artists you want me to test then I’m just going to use my playlist (BIGBANG, IU, WINNER, SUNMI, BTS, BLACKPINK) if that’s cool, and if you do just let me know!

1 Like

Sure thank you so much! Taeyeon, Loona, and Dreamcatcher if you can as well!

1 Like

Ok so I’ll split this into 2 categories: Mid and High volume.

Mid Volume ~60-70db:

Stock Olina has more stage depth, air, and better separation but can get hot at times (2:40 on Hi High By Loona), but this is fixed with the double filter mod. Stock Olina also has lighter noteweight especially when it comes to electric guitars (PIRI by Dreamcatcher) and female vocals.

There’s more bass on Stock Hana and is more forward with better low-end texture, rumble, and impact (INVU by Taeyeon); not much issues with treble here (2:40 on Hi High By Loona). Much thicker notes, and electric guitars have more impact.

Low-end goes to Hana hands down. Mids are the same for me. Treble is a toss-up since although the Stock Olina has better extension it can also get spicy at times. Vocals is also a toss up with similar reasoning; if you want lighter/airy vocals go Olina; if you want heavier note-weight go Hana.

After modding (x2 hana filter on Hana and double filter mod on Olina) uppermids and treble is tamed on the Olina and has a little more bass although still not on the same level as stock Hana; noteweight is the same. Tech is a little better on the Olina; maintains a small stage depth lead. Modded Hana increases bass/low-end impact even more and runs into no issues with sibilance.

At mid volume I prefer the modded Olina since it strikes a balance of bass, air, and detail.

High Volume ~75db+:

Stock Olina is not listenable for me. Kills my ears. Stock Hana does okay but also gets sibilant. Modded Olina is much better but still can get sibilant at times. Modded Hana becomes a bass MONSTER with little to no sibilant issues; the chorus drop on INVU (Taeyeon) and butterfly (LOONA) is chef’s kiss. Modded Olina will still have the advantage when it comes separation and treble detail, but Modded Hana will have much better note-weight and low-end. Stage still goes to Modded Olina by a little bit.

Mids are on the same level for both. Vocals are still lighter on the Olina and further out; more meat on the Hana for sure. Both does kpop really well and are very similar, but songs with more acoustic/instrumental that does better with better separation goes to Olina, and R&B/Rock ones goes to Hana due to more impact and texture. Hana is more V-shaped than Olina.

Overall, for longer/laid-back listening at low/Mid-volume I’d grab the Olina and do the double filter mod. For high-volume it’s the Modded Hana for me no competition; the bass/low-end is simply much better than the Olina… although I think you can maybe achieve similar results with a triple modded Olina :joy:

Hope this helps! Also, LOONA and Dreamcatcher are really good! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

some people are using double filter + a filter on vent it’s a bass canon no joke :joy:

2 Likes

You’ve convinced me :joy: Will give this a try

1 Like

@Aromato Very close to Modded Hana now, which got me thinking… so I also taped the vents on the Hana :joy: and holyyy the BASS BABY. Ya, ima stick with the Hana for bass and low-end ahaha.

3 Likes

you know it better… I don’t think you can get everything with 1 set 1 tuning and 1DD isn’t going to help either…!
you either have to pick balanced / technical tuning (Modded Olina) or you have to sacrifice techs to get that juicy bass…!
personally I’d stick with dual damper Olina it fits my library pretty well :heart_eyes:

1 Like

What’s a good bright IEM under $300?
I have the Kato coming from the Starfield and I think i’m just tired of Moondrops sound honestly, it sounds a little muddy and borderline boring. I’m looking for something that’s clean, clear and energetic with a decent amount of bass. Should I go over $300 or can you still find a great IEM without going over that threshold?

Out of the box, that’s a tough ask. But if you’re willing to work on an IEM and tweak the tuning, you can get something

Also looking for similar suggestion

I honestly don’t like EQing, I’m the type that just wants to plug into the phone and be able to enjoy it without messing around with the sound. I don’t mind it when I’m using a DAC but I mostly just have them plugged up to my phone through an apple dongle

S12 is bassy and bright as hell. It also has great resolution and build quality. Complete package underneath 200$. One of my favourites

3 Likes

People say that S12 is bright, and it has quite a big spike at 8k on the frequency graph. But I don’t find it nearly at bright some of my DD iems. For me the S12 is not fatiguing at all. Its my first experience with planer so I wonder if that could be the reason.

4 Likes

I agree, it is not very harsh in a DD sense (I mean no sibiliance), which is a good thing right?

3 Likes

Also maybe Hana 2021 or Olina? Those are single DD with quite a lot of energy in upper mids/trebble area and Hana has a bit more bass

Jesus, you’ve have helped more than I normally wanted to ask. Thank you so much! From the sounds of things, I may have to go with the Hana. You happen to choose one of the most sibilant and treble spike tracks within LOONA’s discography which are Hi High and Butterfly hahaha! PTT (Paint The Town) is a good track to test those bass rumble and slams.

I’m quite sensitive to treble spikes and sibilance. I wouldn’t go wrong with both from the sounds of it and If I feel like tinkering a lil bit, I’ll get the Olina. Otherwise in terms of using it from out of the box, I’ll get the Hana 2021.

Thank you again! I’ll see what I’ll get in the next week or 2! Currently leaning towards the Hana 2021.

2 Likes

Does anyone have some experience with Anthony @Tonytex_Teixeira Xinhs Erasmus? @nymz?

I have heard a huge praise today for that on a local Polish forum from one user and the description fits to something I may want to try, but I would like a second opinion for that :slight_smile:

I don’t, sorry!

If you want it, you gonna have to contact Tony directly!