IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

having gotten them cleaned at Drs office I can all but guarantee that, with at least this type of syringe, there is no way to get enough force to damage your ear. This is less about the hobby and more about ear health, if you have ever had impacted earwax it is not fun and not always feasible to get a professional cleaning within a reasonable timeframe

I use Debrox, water and a bulb syringe; cheap, effective and not enough pressure to do damage. I used to have to go to the ENT for impaction every year or two, but doing this every couple weeks keeps me ā€˜clean as a whistleā€™. Itā€™s extra necessary for me because, on top of IEM use, I work in process plants that require ear plugs for ~1-4 hours a day, for weeks at a time.

1 Like

That technique is so old school, syringe barrels can stick when being pressed then release = no ear drum DONā€™T DO THIS!

3 Likes

my Dr used a heavy duty spray bottle and just went to town on my ear, it was so painful but felt great a couple of hours after. If your ears are irritating you definitely go see a Dr, Im not trying to give out medical advice or anything but I find the syringe to be much safer than Q-tips for cleaning and more effective as well

1 Like

So a knife or gun?..shakes head in disbelief

Some people produce a lot of wax (like myself) so suggesting to get a professional cleaning on what would probably be a monthly to bi-monthly basis is highly unreasonable. What evidence do you have that these methods are so highly risky? I havenā€™t heard of a single case of someone blowing out their ear drum trying to clean it

1 Like

Ok bro youā€™re safe :crazy_face: if your hearing is not important to you?..there is no audiologist in the world or GP that would recommend shooting a syringe full of what ever into your ears FACTā€¦
Folks happy to drop $100+ a month on IEMā€™s but zero on their safe ear hygieneā€¦absolutely crazy in my book but you crack on.

1 Like

Ludicrously dangerous approaches.

I send the boys down the tunnels, theyā€™re trained professionals:

6 Likes

Again, Iā€™m not recommending that is the first or best solution but itā€™s disingenuous to say no GP or ENT in the world would recommend a syringe and call that a FACT. It took two seconds to find the syringe recommendation on an ENTs website and itā€™s not the only one.

https://www.browardcenta.com/video-gallery/how-to-properly-clean-your-ears/

As you said I will keep doing me so I got nothing else to say on this topic.

So, grabbed a Moondrop Stellaris to test my theory, and itā€™s basically a less resolving GL-AMT16 with the largest mesh-free nozzle, identical tuning. Iā€™d also say itā€™s 75% there (mid definition, bass texture, and instrument separation being the perceptible differences), both driven off an LA90 balanced (high-gain), so endless powerā€¦

If I take the same logic going backwards, if Moondrop messed around with the nozzle diameter, which for the AMT16 moves and increases/decreases pinna gain (and housing, etc, etc. Iā€™m oversimplifying it), they might be on to something.It is AMT vs Planar, but theyā€™re very close in timbre.

3 Likes

I am pleased to report that the EJ07s live on!

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I sent them back to Letshouer for an RMA to fix the rattling in the right unit. Everything feels solid now. They even polished it to give it a new IEM shine.

It seems they did some additional maintenance - the EJs came back on another tier. I previously had a bass shelf when I used the EJs but the bass is now over-powering with the same EQ setting, which leads me to believe there must have been some issues with the DD as well (I bought this set used on Head-Fi). They also seemed to have fixed a slight channel imbalance where everything was biased to the left.

After this experience, it feels like I have a new set of EJs. I thought I had reached end game before but it was not even closeā€¦until now. Been running them all afternoon with a Cayin RU-6 on Amazon HD in exclusive modeā€¦pure musical bliss.

Many thanks to Letshouer for a fairly seamless process. The only thing I would note is that shipping back to North America was a lot slower than shipping there. It took about 13 days total this time around. I also had to follow up to get a tracking number - they had shipped it back but did not tell me. Something to keep in mind for any future member of the community looking to do the same.

edit: with the EJs and a new set of OG Mangird Teas both coming in this week, I am in a happy place!

11 Likes

The thought of this just gave me the heeby jeebies! :flushed:

2 Likes

EJ and Teas :heart:

Brings back memories

1 Like

Less nostalgia, more reviews!

1 Like

So, good olā€™ Fed Ex delivered several days early, and I crunched some numbers and it was cheaper for my current customer to have me drive 5 1/2 hours home for a day and a half than to stay in a hotel for the weekend so here they are!

Iā€™m soooooo glad I went with the double-red option, and Iā€™m looking forward to finally trying some SA6 (I held off on the OGs for so long, and when these were announced I had to bite the bullet). Iā€™m going to be doing some A/B between these and my U6tā€™s for a battle of the 6BA, and will report back once I have some ear time. I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

13 Likes

That is a BEAUTIFUL red finish. Wow!

3 Likes

When I ordered them, I was hoping to get more of a deep red than a lightly-tinted shade of wood grain and they definitely gave me what I wanted!

So if the Truthear Hexa is a mini Blessing 2ā€¦ how soon will they devastate the market with a mini Blessing 2 Dusk? I can scarcely imagine the popularity of that.

1 Like

Hexa already looks pretty much like the Dusk imo

Iā€™ll compare it to some other sets like the Tea, and RSV/SA6 U, but wonā€™t be getting it for like another month :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Penon Vortex and Serial Impressions (done by an idiot):

After trying the Olina SE, FH3, Starsea, and Kai, itā€™s time for the Big Boys.

Penon Vortex $219:

Packaging: 4/5
The packaging is nothing fancy, but it does itā€™s job well. Itā€™s simple and well refined. The box comes with a nice case, bud bits, some kind of special horn shaped tips, cable, IEMs, and a weird small leather bag? The goodies are well made, no surprise considering the price. I have no clue what the purpose is of the small leather bag. It doesnā€™t fit the IEMs, and there is no reason to put bud tips in it considering you have a nice and sturdy case that fits everything. But other than that, I have no complaints. (One thing to note is the horn tips are not included in the Serial. Not sure if just something extra Penon added in.)

Build: 4.5/5
These are built wonderfully. The Vortex are made of a high quality resin, and everything feels well built. When I first saw them I was surprised at just how tiny they are. Theyā€™re kinda cute to be honest. And as usual with most IEMs, they look even better in person. The blue and white marble design on the face plate is gorgeous. I havenā€™t had any QC problems with them either.
Cable: 4/5
The Vortex comes with Penonā€™s CS819 cable, which costs $50. No surprise again, itā€™s made very well and looks great. The cable goes well with the Vortex. Out of all the cables Iā€™ve used, it is definitely the best one. No issues with tangling, as well as not making noise while in use. It does still like to stay a shape a bit, but itā€™s nothing major. Iā€™m guessing cables that move like water are gonna cost a fortune. One thing that did scare me at first when I tried taking off one of the IEMs, and the shell of the connector popped off. Thought I broke it, but thankfully you just twist it back on, kind of like a water bottle cap. (It happened multiple times already, on both the Serial and Vortex cable. The cable just seems to not like separating from itā€™s IEM. Disconnecting and connecting the IEMs in general is a lot harder than any of the others Iā€™ve tried. It could potentially damage the connectors due to having to use more force than normally.)

Comfort/Fit: 5/5
Itā€™s like these were built for my ears. Theyā€™re tiny, but fit perfectly, and surprisingly seal just right. Of course theyā€™re also insanely light. Genuinely the best fitting and feeling IEMs Iā€™ve ever tried in my ears. No air pressure of any kind, and no driver flex like in the FH3 or Kai. It was immediately apparent how nice they are the moment I tried them on. Walking around and head bopping was no problem, they kept staying in. Theyā€™re effortless to wear for long periods of time. In fact, the first time I used the Vortex I wore them for over an hour without feeling any fatigue.
The cable does start to feel fatiguing on my right ear, but this is only after a while of listening. If anything, itā€™s a way for me to take them off and give my ears a much needed break.

Sound: 4.5/5
Time for the main event. How do these sound? Wellā€¦pretty awesome! The Vortex are a pleasure to jam out with. The mid bass slams, the treble is smooth but detailed, mids are fantastic. Instruments like the bass guitar is seriously amazing with these, they have presence and rumble I donā€™t hear with any other IEM (For example: Chainsaw Manā€™s 6th ending). Like many have said, the sub bass is on the weaker side, especially when compared to the mid bass. As someone who enjoy dat bass, it can feel like not enough at times. Even so, most music sounds like pure joy out of them. Their pleasing, fun tonality and comfort go together like Mac and Cheese. Goes down easily and tastes delicious, giving you the best experience of just enjoying your music.
Downsides:
I would prefer just a slight increase in sub bass for the Vortex. My main music I listen to is Metal, and that extra oomph is not there when played at safe volume. Donā€™t get me wrong though, Metal is still enjoyable with the Vortex. Vocals sound crispy and clean, which is just as important as that bass slam in Metal. If it had some more sub bass, I think the Vortex would be basically perfect. Other genres I enjoy like weeb shit (Jpop), video game osts, piano, and even rock are all phenomenal. The lack in sub bass could probably be fixed, or just something Iā€™ll get used to. Everything else sounds so good that I can almost forgive it.

Overall: 4.5/5, Near Perfection
These might just be the ones. They give off HD 6XX vibes (as in that pleasing tonality, comfort, top tier mids, vocals and mid bass). And considering how Iā€™m a bit of a slut for those headphones, this is in every way a complement (theyā€™re even blue, and cost very similar to the 6XXs? Welcome to my theory that these are just shrunken 6XXs). The Vortex would be perfect if just the sub bass was bumped up a bit. Top tier comfort, great build, pleasing fun sound, what more do you need? If they continue being amazing, oh boy, theyā€™ll be a keeper.

Penon Serial $299:

Packaging: 4/5
Packaging is identical to the Vortex. Same box, same style, same everything. Only difference is the IEMs (duh), and an extra set of blue ear tips, they seem pretty similar to the green ones.

(The box also had an Penon Orbit cable, which at first thought it was the free 9th anniversary gift. But looking at it on the store, it costsā€¦$99? What the hell? Iā€™m pretty sure I chose the cable option for the free gift, but now Iā€™m wondering if the horn tips that was in the Vortex is the free gift. Cause a $99 free cable seems almost too good to be true. If anyone has the Serial, please let me know if you got an Orbit cable with it. Cause if that is the case, then ignore my complaints below about not getting more accessories).

For an almost $100 difference I was hoping youā€™d something more in accessories. You also get the same cable, which I wish youā€™d get something perhaps upgraded. But this is all just nit picks, as the cable and accessories are still good. I might just be expecting a lot more than I should considering these are the most expensive IEMs Iā€™ve bought.

Build: 4.5/5
Very similar build to the Vortex. Made of the same high quality resin. The face plates look lovely and have a unique style to it. Honestly kinda hard to say much about the build and packaging when theyā€™re nearly identical lol. The big difference is the size. If the Vortex are small, the Serial are Medium/Large IEMs. Similar shape like the Vortex, but much more width and chunky. One Serial is like if 2 Vortex fused together.
Cable: 4/5
Like the Vortex cableā€¦but this one has the Serial attached to them :wink:

Comfort/Fit: 4/5
Their comfort is pretty good, quite surprising considering how big the Serial are. Itā€™s definitely more noticeable when inserted in comparison to the Vortex. They are still very light thanks to the resin build, and thankfully stay in the ears just fine. Walking around and even head banging is no problem. Iā€™m more of a compact sized human, so these being decently comfy is very impressive. Especially when I found the similar sized Tri Starsea to not be that nice in the ears.

Sound: 4.5/5
Pleasing and warm are the main two words Iā€™d use for the Serial tonality. These have some insanely good mids, and the bass is not going to disappoint. Vocals sound great as well, and the treble is buttery smooth. The Serial feel much warmer when compared to the Vortex. Listening to Metal, and more energetic music in general is weird. It both sounds good and like thereā€™s not enough. I canā€™t decide if they are too warm, or just right. Theyā€™re like a super comfy hoodie youā€™d fall asleep in, but also be able to wear in the gym. I donā€™t have the most time with them yet, but Iā€™d be surprised if there was anything that has the musically laid back loveliness as these in the market.
VS the Vortex:
When I swap between the Serial and Vortex, the Vortex instantly pops more with the treble and upper mids. The mid bass is slightly stronger, and is overall more energetic. The sub bass on the Serial is phenomenal, and Iā€™d say it has better mids due to having more focus over treble. When I go from the Vortex to Serial, the warmth feels like too much. After a minute that feeling disappears, and Iā€™m back to loving it. Both have the best sound Iā€™ve heard from any IEM. Fit and comfort the Vortex wins easily, itā€™s not really fair for the Serial. Serial is a great fit and comfort for itā€™s size, but the Vortex is on another level. It doesnā€™t even feel like itā€™s burrowing in my ear like every other IEM.

Other Comparison and Test:
Another way I tested the quality of the IEMs, is by plugging them into my Yamaha P-125 piano and playing some tunes with my nonexistent skills. It helped me hear how well the IEM plays mids. With something like the QKZ x HBB, the Piano sounded quieter and had less detail, along with the static being very noticeable. Nothing surprising, considering they are a bass focused $20 IEM. The Serial sounded glorious while playing piano. It sounded clean, and the static was barely there. The Vortex sounded good, but the static was noticeable. (Edit: The static is only something I hear when I plugged these into the piano. I never hear any static using them normally.)

Overall: 4/5, Musical Bliss
The Serial is such a treat to listen to. It also gives off HD 6XX vibes, with itā€™s pleasing warm tonality and laid back use. The Vortex and Serial deserve all the praise they get. Both feel like IEMs made to enjoy music. SHIT. Both of these IEMs have hit it out of the park. And as much as I want to keep both, deep down in my heartā€¦mostly my bank accountā€¦I know itā€™s not the smartest financial decision. And so far, Iā€™d have to say the Vortex slightly edges out the Serial. Itā€™s cheaper, has better mid bass, treble and fit. This could change, either by me caving in to my horrible habit and just keep both, or maybe the Serial will open my third ear the longer I use it.
Iā€™ve been converted to the Penon hype train. And while I would love to try out all their other IEMs, they unfortunately donā€™t have Amazon level return policies, plus their 2010 looking site doesnā€™t help. Itā€™ll be a lot of work constantly ordering and returning if they donā€™t scratch the itch. Iā€™d also feel bad considering they arenā€™t a large company. Still, if youā€™re looking for a pleasing IEM with outstanding tonality, itā€™ll be hard to find something better than the Vortex and Serial.

18 Likes