IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Thanks for the reviews. Very clear and articulate :ok_hand:

Static presence is not really an indicator of your set quality, but now your amp quality.
The difference in static between iem is due to their sensivity: the more sensitive, the more static.

2 Likes

I did some tip rolling on my panda last evening. My initial thoughts are confirmed: the nozzle isnā€™t common in this thing. It is quite long with nothing to stop the tip. Hence you can slide the to way too far in the nozzle. You have many chances to get a misaligned tip, too,. As nothing is there to help.

So installing new tips is more complicated, but thatā€™s not all: none of my usual go-to tips (cp100M , cp145S, final E M) gave me a seal. After fiddling with tips, I found that I had to go up one size.

So if you have a hard time getting a seal with the p1Max, donā€™t despair and experiment: youā€™ll probably find something that works.

On the sound front, I didnā€™t listened enough to really say something. For now the s12pro seems more appealing to me, because it has a more different sound signature that what Iā€™m used to. But I canā€™t say much more. Iā€™ll have to give it some time, get used to both sets and then a/b while adding olina to the brawl.

Speaking of tips that wonā€™t keep the right depth on nozzle ā€˜necksā€™, I had the same issue with my U6t. I solved it by cutting the ā€˜barrelā€™ off of a pair of Spiral Dots I had lying around to make ā€˜ringā€™ shims. It worked like a charm!

2 Likes

you can use O-rings for that instead.

2 Likes

One thing you can experiment with to add more sub bass is to remove the filter on the vent. It adds a lot of sub bass so if you only want a little you can remove it and then add a less dense filtering material in itā€™s place

3 Likes

Is it the same shell as U12T? If so, Azla Regular and Regular Short fit like a glove, if u want some wide-bore tips.

1 Like

I think it is the same dimensions (just a different cap/faceplate) and I do run some Azlas (including short and short lights) from time to time, but when I was tip-rolling I had some ā€œslidersā€ so I just added the shims and now I donā€™t worry about it. At first I was worried it might make an impact on tonality or peaks by changing the insertion depth, but it hasnā€™t been an issue for me so far!

I just got the Hexa in ~20 minutes ago, and it came with some unexpected but very useful advice!

I always end my day by listening to music after I lie down in bed, and this is definitely true; when I donā€™t use any headphones for at least half an hour before bed, I find that I can start at a lower ā€œcomfortableā€ volume level, and only step up over time as necessary. This means less time at elevated volumes, and can help preserve your hearing (and make it easier to lull to sleep lol).

Edit: also, the Hexa box/presentation/accessories are simple but great for the money. If anyone doesnā€™t care for ā€œthe waifuā€ Virgo, you can just toss the outer sleeve and have a clean, attractive box underneath. They also seem to fit almost perfect for my ears, I am very much looking forward to listening!

8 Likes

Iā€™m literally just waiting for a Hexa to pop up on the second hand market to snag em.

But I do agree with this small but important piece of advice. After a day of listening, maybe about 2-3 hours or so, when I lie down in bed my tinnitus is blaring which is a stark reminder that I need to settle down on the volume from time to time. Iā€™m a lot more careful and mindful of my ears health now that im a bit older for sure.

2 Likes

Bro I gave in and just bought Hexa yesterday :joy: You can try mine later if you want

2 Likes

LOL I donā€™t blame you, the hype is fairly real with Hexa. Itā€™s not a tuning that Iā€™d be particularly interested in but I figured Iā€™d step out of my comfort zone.

Man, Iā€™d be down but, what would the shipping cost be like? Might as well buy a set at that point, no? Iā€™ve never shipped an IEM in the US before so Iā€™m just straight up not educated :sweat_smile:

Shouldnā€™t be too much. I shipped some stuff to my cousin in the US (around 5 pounds) and it was around $35 CAD. Iā€™ll dm you. Gonna take a few weeks to get here though.

Totally fair - I appreciate that, man. Thank you. You never know, one may pop up on the used market before then.

Remember to send it as a warranty iteam or risk paying duties and fees. Especially if you ship it to Canada and if you feel safe from DHL like me make it a very low value $35.
My 0.02

1 Like

Or ears can protect themselves by getting harder under high volume. But it takes time (approx 20 minutes). Thatā€™s why you get discomfort at the beginning of a concert, or entering a discotheque.

So the general advice is to wait at least those 20 Linus before gradually upping the volume of you donā€™t want to damage your hearing too much.

2 Likes

Quite the value you are getting.

8 Likes

Have been eyeing the F1 since the first announcement from nicehck. How is the fit?

Those graphs aint mine, I dont have it.

I believe they are using a slightly customized version of this driver:

That OEM have great drivers.

5 Likes

Is there a HarmonicDyne Devil FR somewhere?