IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

That also happened to me. At first I was like “ya these are pretty good”, but then when I listened to them again after a week or so I was like “holy shit I’m floating”.

1 Like

First off LOL

Secondly, yes exactly this - I have no way of describing why this is. While I didn’t have an emotional experience with the Serratus, it wowed me for the first few songs no doubt. The DMs gave me that emotional experience however.

Chills all over my body. Decode by Paramore was a ethereal experience and I’m sorry if that sounds like hyperbole, but I swear it was genuinely a shocking moment hearing the guitar intro on the DMs for the first time.

6 Likes

I’ve always wanted to try the DM and it was super tempting when @MMag05 posted his for sale but ultimately it went to the right place with you. It’s a rare thing when we find that piece of gear that resonates with us

3 Likes

I love when sets do that :musical_note::heart:…one of those moments was when Z1R and Bonzo did that for me…

4 Likes

Ya electric guitars and vocals takes me to a whole dimension when I crank them up. A lot of bite, detailed and forward enough, but also airy and feels like you’re floating away. I can’t believe I almost thought of selling my DM and EJ07… (rough times)

3 Likes

But you sold me Grand Rider and I’m like Why and How?

They are so clean with amazing vocal presentation. Honestly, for $125 for the gen 2 Grand Rider, vs. Olina or Hexa $80-100, it’s not a contest which I would take

3 Likes

I too felt the index finger twitching when I saw Mags posting them for sale. The DM was on my list of “Must listen to before I die” and I’m still in shock I have them in my ears as we speak over a month later.

They truly resonate with me on a level that’s been unmatched up to this point.

1 Like

Ohh baby - I have yet to get my hands on a mid-fi or above, tier mid bass monster to enjoy Bonzo on like I did when I was a kid, my dads massive pioneer speakers had to be on blast, 75% volume minimum at 7am in the morning to get us going for the day. Good memories.

Him and I still try to catch this radio segment we have here in Boston called the “Stairway to Seven, at Seven” they play 3 random Zeppelin songs uninterrupted and when the right song comes on, there’s a special feeling that comes over you when it’s played on a radio station. I can’t explain it, but the experience just feels more exciting, more …. Engaging than just picking the song on your playlist. It’s the little things we take for granted, that’s for sure.

Another dimension is absolutely discovered when I crank these up. The air that is introduced along side the reverb on that guitar intro is truly something you have to experience. Words won’t do it Justice. It takes me back to 2018 when I saw Paramore live in the front row with my wife… that’s when IEMs take on another level for me. When they can evoke those emotions they reach a level for me that cannot be touched by another IEM, simple as that. Don’t ever sell the EJs or the DMs, brother unless it’s for an amazing reason.

7 Likes

This is how I feel about Fan 2’s midbass. Especially the drums. At first I thought they were very good, but every time I A/B Fearless Flyers “The Speedwalker” against F2, I’m like nope Fan is better at that. Now I don’t listen to my Fans every day just so that feeling stays strong.

Wonder how it’ll feel in a few weeks when I get them back from Dom lol

2 Likes

I love Paramore and I have yet to find an earbud or iem that really gets me lost in the music for them. Idk why but the same goes for coheed too

1 Like

Doesn’t fit my ears bro hahaha, also, needed cash for the holidays.

@domq422 Amen brother. I won’t make that mistake ever again LOL. And even though words don’t do the DM justice, this meme is close:
ascension

2 Likes

My wife got me into Paramore so they hold a special place in my heart, having seen them twice so far (hopefully a 3rd time this year) has me giddy.

For me at least, the star of the show for years was Haley’s vocals so the DMs hit the mark exactly for me for their earlier work. Now a days, with how the band has evolved, I find that a more fun, almost V shape set works the best. Zack Farro on the drum kit demands your attention, so a good low end is essential. But of course, Haley and her beautiful voice is still there, so a proper upper mid range response is also necessary…. It’s a tricky thing I feel.

2 Likes

LOL

Holy crap :joy: when is a SpongeBob meme not relatable?! Literally perfect, Amen :handshake:

1 Like

The Fan 2 is a proper set to enjoy the drum kit, absolutely no doubt in my mind.

Imaging? :white_check_mark:
Dynamics? :white_check_mark:
Authority in the kick drum? :white_check_mark:
Is that ride and crash crispy and airy? Big :white_check_mark:

Great set

3 Likes

Spongebob never disappoints lool

Also, for those who tried the Khan, what are your impressions? Cause I’m not sure how I feel about these…

That he does not, I’m lucky I have a 5 year old son, gives me the perfect excuse to still sneak in a few episodes here and there :sunglasses::sweat_smile:

Oh boy - the khans. I won’t bore you, but they were not for me and it took not even a song to come to that conclusion. Do with that as you may. Brandon has had far more time with them so maybe he can chime in.

2 Likes

I will chime in:

If you liked Crin’s Zero, Khan is an incremental refinement to fit HBB’s tastes better.

If you disliked the Zero, Khan is an incremental refinement to fit HBB’s tastes better.

For me, they’re a pass

1 Like

Hayley’s voice is magic. That is why misguided ghosts is one of my go to tracks for reviewing (ie600 plays it beautifully). Some of their their other tracks (like let the flames begin) come through a tad thin imo and could use some more warmth

1 Like

Man am I blessed with ears that don’t hardly care what I stick in them. Having heard GR, I’d cry if the shell didn’t fit

1 Like

Agreed - misguided ghosts is truly a phenomenal experience. Have you gotten the opportunity to see them live by chance? Misguided Ghosts live is an experience by it self. The whole band sits down, Haley gives literally everything she has while Taylor makes sweet love to the acoustic guitar.

It’s … amazing.

1 Like