IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Poke holes in them XD more soundstage right?? Let me know when you come out with something similar to the GR sound but with the smaller shell :+1:

1 Like

I’ll have you covered for any buds FOMO you might have :slight_smile:

G.A.S = Grand Alter Saber (2) :smirk:

3 Likes

LOL

Close - Go Away Satan (Damn audio hobby uncontrollable urge to spend all my money) :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Canpur Joyfull 1 (1 DD)

Truthear Hexa

Softears Volume

Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro

7 Likes

Busy, busy :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Honestly I was more busy setting up workflow scripts for GitHub - harpo/autoeq: IEM AutoEQ profiles for APO/Peace and wavelet
There are currently 82 targets each applied to 91 IEMs. If I find the muse I’ll set up a simple frontend website to download eq profiles more easily.

Some more findings dabbling with AutoEQ…this is the real deal at least for me.

The Elysian Acoustic X is the best IEM of all time even though I never heard it in real, Why?
Because every IEM from bottom to top tier AutoEQd to that target sounds like Hallelujah. Funnily the Yume 2 is the closest IEM tuned to that X target. As a matter of fact I landed at the X by chance browsing the squig sites comparing the Yume 2 graph and not due to praise by HBB or the huge price tag.

And lastly Timmy was kind of right in his video to recommend to only apply AutoEQ up to 6kHz or whatever. I’d add to only do that for single DDs that simply are not able to extend that high in the treble range. IEMs with quality BAs and/or ESTs can easily be EQd in these ranges. In my repo each target has a no treble variant that does exactly what Timmy recommended.

Recommended targets

• Elysian X aka SeeAudio Yume 2
  • Elysian Annihilator
  • Softears (slightly bass boosted Softears Volume)
  • Harpo v3
  • Fatfreq Maestro Mini
  • Clariar i640
  • Monarch MK2
  • 64 Audio Tia Trio
  • Huawei Freebuds Pro 2
  • Penon Serial
6 Likes

Elysian X is basically HBB’s old target even moreso than Clairvoyance

Reminds me I haven’t tried EQing to his new 2022 target yet. Should give that a shot :thinking:

Yeah that’s exactly where I stop :+1:
Not sure of the science why but EQing IEMs past 6K makes them sound wonky :person_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Really seams like your enjoying them. Glad they ended up being a good fit for your ears and they vibe well for you.

3 Likes

Alright guys, so theoretically, if I were to poke holes in the Quarks DSP (the back?), would the extra vent help with staging, or is it only a bass thing?

1 Like

Thank you again, Mags - they have found their way into my ears because of you but they’ve found they’re way into my heart as well :smiling_face_with_tear: i don’t even care how cheesy that sounds :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

An emotional connection is what we’re trying to achieve after all.

1 Like

You really should pin or etch these words somewhere. Or I will remind you again in a few days’ time

2 Likes

You mean a vent here?

That should just increase the bass shelf overall.

1 Like

How do you know where a hole will lower or raise the shelf?

Just some general rules I learned from experience.
Front facing vents like this
Increases the bass the more closed it is.

While back vents reduces the bass the more closed it is.

Do keep in mind that this is just a generalization. As in some cases, opening the back, COULD have the opposite effect, if the vent is made too big and/or the chamber inside is too small.

4 Likes

I see I see. Thanks for the info! Now, time to poke holes in all my IEMs… (jk, kind of)

2 Likes

Micropore tape is your friend. I fought the “reversible mod” monster but the monster won.

And I dunno why I held out so long.

3 Likes

Well, you can make the same changes by using tape (either micropore or full seal tape, so u can adjust the amount of change u make) on the inner vent if you want to increase the bass.

While you can use this mod if you want to reduce the bass.

both mods are safe and reversible.

4 Likes