IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

That could be pretty promising if it is indeed the open position

1 Like

Thank you, Jay for providing that graph / yeah itā€™s a pretty large difference brother.

1 Like

Quick question for folks who buy things new regularly enoughā€¦

If the price for the IE200 is the same on Bloom Audio, Heaphones.com, and direct from Sennheiser, which would you buy from and why? Seems customer support would be excellent for the first two equally, but some issue resolution if it arises might be quicker/easier dealing with Senn themselves?

Are there price caveats hidden from what seems to be $149 (obv tax to be added) with all 3?

1 Like

I dont think there will be an issue with any however if it were me I would buy from headphones.com or actually best buy, which is where I got my IE600. They have a no questions ask 15 day return with no stocking fee and since they have brick and mortar stores all over it would be relatively easy to return them if you dont like them

3 Likes

Can I just say that I find it remarkable that Truthear had released 2 pretty well received IEMs, had all of 2022 to see the budget landscape and take a shot at zigging when everyone else was zagging, and finding a market inefficiency to exploit, like that had with Zero and Hexaā€¦

And released the most egregious copy/paste job of 2023, and weā€™re not 3 weeks in. Iā€™m REALLY disappointed in Truthear right now.

I am loving the Hola right now.

Like itā€™s good, but Iā€™ve heard all the $20-50 sets of note the last 6 months (except the TinHifiā€™s because they made the same IEM 3 times and I just refuse to patronize them).

Theyā€™re all so similar with just the littlest bit of differences that if youā€™ve only heard 1 or 2 theyā€™re awesome, if youā€™ve heard 3 or 4 you can still nitpick them, but when youā€™ve heard like 6 or 7 of them itā€™s HARD to get excited about number 8. Even if it is good.

Totally see where you coming from. Hopefully we start see some interesting things , I would to see more DD Planer hybrids.

Maybe companies can use use the sales money from 30,000 sold Hola sets to make a killer $250 set $400 set?

1 Like

Just ordered another 3 sets of the DUNU S&S tips , not only do they sounds awesome they are really compfy , comes with great case for 6 pairs of tips.

Free shipping to Canada from Penon $18 CDN

First thing I agree with on DSNUTS reviews. LOL

Was quite the battle to get on the Hola but well worth it. Not sure if itā€™s the smooth synergy with the iBasso DX160 but killer.love the combo. PEQ +4db at 100HZ Low Shelf Q 0.3

1 Like

Another review on IE200: Sennheiser IE 200 Review - Headfonia Reviews
Graph:
Sennheiser-IE-200-1

"While itā€™s very easy to hear the difference in tuning (lighter bass presence, giving the treble presence more audibility), I donā€™t find the system easy to use. When you set the tip to the furthest position on the nozzle, it easily gets pushed back to the normal position when inserting the IEMs in your ear. This is especially the case with the foam tips, but it happens to the silicone tips as well.

Does the dual tuning work? Yes. Is it easy to use in reality? Not in my case, but maybe your ears are different."

8 Likes

I second @cal_lando with the Headphones.com rec if you donā€™t mind a company not having brick and mortar, headphones.com has stellar CS, but Best Buy is a place of found memories for me - I used to work there.

Returns are so simple and easy, within 2 weeks if youā€™re not digging the set or if day the set shows up and itā€™s defective, just head into a physical store and do the swap. You donā€™t have to deal with shipping back and whatnot which for me, is a huge selling point.

2 Likes

daft punk is playing at my house, at myyyy house

The FatFREQ Maestro Minis

The recovery process from COVID has been relatively easy peasy. Iā€™m confident in saying as of right now that I am back to a proper 100% (or as much as 100% can be for me), thank you to everyone who wished me a speedy recovery - I appreciate you all.

I wonā€™t be droning on here - I simply wanted to address two very important recent events, now that the dust has finally fully settled it feels, I can stretch my legs, lie back and coordinate my brain into creating something of a cohesive post.

First off - I want to thank a few people - while Iā€™ve done this before many times and I know most likely this wonā€™t be the last, the last month has been a tornado of joy, shock, overwhelming gratitude & camaraderie.
@rattlingblanketwoman
@cal_lando
@MMag05
@GooberBM
@nymz (care package coming soon)

Thank you :pray: you guys are the best.
RBW allowed Brandon and I to demo an abundance of IEMs and buds for an extended period of time.
@cal_lando shipped over some things from @MMag05 + his Penon Vortex allowing Brandon to cement him self as the HFGā€™s very own Penon line-up extraordinaire. Brandon allowed me to take home his beloved Fan 2 for an extended listen, along with his Riku bud and a pair of KZs for me to try out, the Fan 2 is a stellar set, and with his permission and grace, I wrote up a little something on it over on his thread. @nymz has been a ridiculously busy man but heā€™s still found the time to send out a bunch of packages to a large amount of folks on here just from the love in his heart - The package intended for my self and Brandon is on its way, I thank you in advance, robot brother.

This place and you people are fucking awesome. So thank you.

But we come down to this ā€¦ the Maestro Minis.

This was a set sent out on loan by @MMag05 and I donā€™t know whether to kiss him, and throw a right hook because, quite frankly, it was LOVE at first listen and since Iā€™ve gotten them in my hands, the rest of my collection has felt such neglect, CPS may come knocking on my door within the week.

Everything youā€™ve heard is true - the bass. Ahh the bass. Itā€™s everything and more. Best bass Iā€™ve ever heard in an IEM. Period.

It is a close to a proper Sub-Woofer/car stereo that Iā€™ve heard out of such a tiny package. Itā€™s absolutely glorious, addicting, brain rattling and perfect. That was of course the first aspect of the sound that stood out, but thatā€™s to be expected. The next 2 aspects are what nailed the coffin shut for my self and my wallet. The mid range is ā€¦. Natural? I couldnā€™t believe my ears. I know I know ā€¦ many have said it before on reviews but I always thought to my self ā€œthere ainā€™t no wayā€¦ā€ Nah. Itā€™s all true. Vocals sounds great, male or female - female vocals take a slight backseat when it comes to energy but thats acceptable. Male vocals have so much body and character, theyā€™re perfect.

Because of the tuning, the Bass, the Mids and the treble are well separated for my particular HRTF so details come across extremely well, plus the layering really works for me. YMMV of course but for me personally, itā€™s a sweet spot. Iā€™m not going to go on for longer, itā€™s not necessary - these are, as of right now, my favorite IEMs in my collection as well as the best IEMs Iā€™ve ever heard in my life. Theyā€™re so fun and they work for a majority of my library so not as much of a one-trick-pony as they may appear.

Jesus Christ - daft punk has never sounded so good - hence the title of this little article here. The Robot overlords are happy, where ever they are :smiling_face_with_tear: (come back please).

If it isnā€™t obvious enough, I bought them from @MMag05. I had absolutely 0 intention on keeping these. I did not expect to fall victim to love at first listen. But I did. I caught the bug. Mags gave me such a ridiculous Bro deal that I couldnā€™t pass it up. And when I say ridiculous, it was ridiculous. Heā€™s a legend.

Itā€™s not all peaches and rainbows, however. Nothing is perfect - these are no exception unfortunately. Two big issues I have with these are 1. The exposed nozzle. Jesus Christ does this make me nervous. Iā€™m going to try to create some kind of solution for this. I tried using some micropore tape for the opening but it was too much of a dampener which I figured it would be but it was worth a shot. 2. And this one is a touch annoying - Iā€™ve experienced some pressure on first insertion a few times now as well as driver flex. Itā€™s not a huge deal, but damn - those two things are hard to get used to for any other IEM.

But for my favorite IEMs ever? Shit. It couldnā€™t be easier.

Iā€™m out! I Appreciate you all for reading :pray: if you guys have any specific questions regarding the MMs please just ask :heart_hands:

23 Likes

This was one of my main take aways too. Every other true basshead set Iā€™ve tried felt off in the mids. The MM definitely has some voodoo going on.

3 Likes

Voodoo magic it is, brother! Some really cool tech and tuning going on in these things. I hope to try the SE come CamJam In February but Iā€™ve heard that the difference in them arenā€™t reflective of their different respective prices. It seems that the Minis are really the sweet spot :handshake:

3 Likes

have you heard the Khan? Is this like the same logic with a sub crossover? Can i endgame here for all things Techno/Electronic? Please? lol

I have heard the Khan, and Iā€™d hate to rain on anyoneā€™s parade but the Khan was not for me. Fit was an issue personally, and on first listen it just wasnā€™t engaging for me. The Maestros donā€™t follow the same philosophy with the mid bass tuck / the maestros have wonderful sub bass, mid bass and lower mids, with added warmth. Mid bass slam and fullness is on a completely different level as the khan, but thatā€™s to be expected considering the price difference.

Iā€™d be confident in saying that for $500, there isnā€™t a better set out there for electronic/techno.

6 Likes

you just made my friday bro, and yes thats the area i wanted to see if you were gonna confirm. thank you thank you

1 Like

Hell yeah, man!

If you can get your hands on a pair, try them out. Iā€™d even almost say theyā€™re worth the blind buy. Fit is great, the shells are tiny, and the tuning should really be right up your alley :handshake:

1 Like

FYI the V2 version will be coming out sometime this summer if you want to wait. I was super close to buying the set @domq422 has now but I opted to wait to see what the V2 is all about

2 Likes

Thatā€™s very true - the V2 according to some people is going to be added sub bass AND treble. +/- 3dB on both sides making it a crazy aggressive V shape. For me, I can confidently skip. The tuning on the OG is as near to perfect as I can imagine a bass set could be. The only thing Iā€™d want to ā€œupgradeā€ in a sense is a nozzle filter / but I can sort that part out.

3 Likes