IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I brought this up a while ago but getting fitted stickers or something like that is something we can do for a lot of iems to change up their look isn’t it?

I wonder if 2x 6mm DDs can push the same air as a 10mm

PENON have a very strange marketing.
I posted my excitement on FB and included some of the content about the PROMO code but not the confidential email or code and was asked to take it down.

I really think the community needs to provide more feedback to PENON and change the way they market or they may suffer the way of the DODO Bird.

I encourage people to reach out to Penon and give your feedback.
Having to be able to get theae deals only though a subscription seems 1980 ish and ultimately hurt thier future sales.
IMHO

3 Likes

I dont think so for sub bass extension but the quality and added MB slam is so much better for vocals and instruments. Also stereo bass placement a d staging on the FAN2 is ummmmmmm!

They are a funny case, where I don’t think they will fall off and disappear but I don’t see the growth potential either.

I do feel like they are doing something to shift their model though because they didn’t overprice it like Vortex or Fan 2 where it only makes sense to buy it on the release discount (or extended discount like F2). $499 is a very fair price for a Penon entry-level tribrid.

But now they’re not offering a direct cash discount on the IEM, which is what has made their model its most attractive. This is a bold move, but at the end of the day the quality of the IEM will be the sticking point. If it’s Fan 2/Serial level, then it’ll be worth it at $499. If it’s Vortex level, then it won’t

4 Likes

Ordered taking the bling buy chance.

7 Likes

@ToneDeafMonk and @MMag05 you guys are heroes. I would not do it, so hat’s off. Ping me when one of you gets a 2 channel graph please!

10 Likes

Wow someone got it already!

6 Likes

PenonAudio 10th Anniversary FR:

8 Likes

That looks like they gave Fan 2 a few drinks to loosen up and it went from neutral to v-shaped lol

Not a harman nor aria copy, yay.

9 Likes

Why does my bass sound audibly louder tho with just the first switch ON :joy: Am I just being tricked by the uppermids gain??

2 Likes

Yes. Lowering the entire upper midrange and treble shelf is like gaining a bass shelf in perception

1 Like

Well wouldn’t that increase the uppermids and thus feel less bassy? If only the uppermids change that wouldn’t make sense (switch on I mean) :thinking:

Back to A/Bing :joy:

Everything past 1k drops down, with the first switch on, so that makes everything before 1k sound louder because there’s more perception of pre-1k

1 Like

Because you indirectly hear more of the bass with less mids/treble.

4 Likes

Shit - I may just have to give this set a try… all of those sigs look great in their own respects. The fact that the switches actually do something very notable gives this IEM a very big leg up on the competition imo you effectively have 2-4 very different IEMs in one for only $110. That’s pretty cool if you ask me.

2 Likes

Yeah, switches usually are pretty gimmick since they dont do much. But this is some real change, good.

I usually prefer replaceable tuning nozzles because of that, they generally change more. But of course if the switches are done well and with noticeable changes that is probably better since you might be able to switch them even if you are out.

1 Like

Nozzles are also easier to mess with and mod. EA500 is a fucking playground to try stuff out with.

But good switches are a win!

Yeah, nozzles are definitely better for modders. But I say switches are better for most people since they should be easier/faster to switch (no pun intended).

1 Like