IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Some people listen to their music like:

Jay only believes in:

12 Likes

:rofl:

7 Likes

Guilty as charged, your honor :saluting_face:

6 Likes

I definitely listen at lower volume than you :wink: that said the PR2 does like a bit of power.

I donā€™t think I have turned my btr5 above 50/60, and on my dx1 I still havenā€™t gone above half. I am guessing that either will be fine on power for me.

3 Likes

My dad always says the music has to be so loud that it drowns out you belting the lyrics so you donā€™t mess up the song while jaming out. Its a good rule to have, minus the hearing loss lol

3 Likes

Then thereā€™s in between where Iā€™m usually sitting. Used to think I listened load until @VIVIDICI_111 came in with his deafening levels.

IMG_2494

2 Likes

Get on my level :sunglasses:

To be FAIR itā€™s usually around 80-100db MAX, and itā€™s mostly ballads and slower rock stuff sooo itā€™s not like Iā€™m blasting hardcore metal (trying so hard to cope right now)

1 Like

Hey guys,

Did anyone graph the Penon Vortex?

I want to compare it with the 7hz Timeless.

Thanks!

There arenā€™t a lot of graphs on it but tgx did graph both

2 Likes

Wow, either YMMV and mine varies severely from Zeos, or, thereā€™s been a tuning change, because YanYin Aladdin was not an intense set at all for meā€¦

I am betting I only crack 85db for a random song and then only a few times a week. I am typically in the 65-75db range.

Thanks!

That glide in the sub-bass of the Timeless is different from others graph (unit variance?)

Quite a lot less sub bass (hmmmm :face_with_diagonal_mouth:), but I like that little presence from 200hz to 800hz (a little bit warmer?). I donā€™t know how to interpret that dip at 2k, and I guess that it has a little more vocal presence and shimmery (3k to 6k?) And it has nice treble extension.

I like 7hz Timeless layering, speed and detail retrival, but I would like something with DD timbre without loosing those traits that much.

This is a way more overrated problem than people realize. I am currently listening to a -12dB low shelf at 40Hz (Q: 0.8) on my SGOR Venus, and I can hear only a little bit less rumble on 90% of my songs. Most music never goes deep enough that you actually hear a substantial difference. Now, if I move that shelf to 80Hz, then it gets quite noticeable. But most music is in the late sub-bass/midbass anyway.

Soā€¦just saying

1 Like

Speaking about the Venus. When I saw it on sale, I grabbed a set. I very much like the looks of it. The sound though is not what Iā€™m currently looking for: I prefer the qkz X hbb I received at the same time. More warm and dark, which is my current quest.

I actually look for a set that would be as lush and relaxed as possible: no sibilance, not too much slam, but a prominent thickness for voices, bass guitar, cellos,ā€¦ The qkz is not that far from it, but I think there are other sets that can fit these shoes better.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fair and valid preference. The difference between HBB & Venus comes down to listening preference and philosophy:

If you want darker treble, HBB
If you it want brighter, Venus

Simple as that

2 Likes

I almost forgot about my pair of QKZxHBBs, I canā€™t lie. Theyā€™re currently in one of my drawers, with no tips, and no cable attached but I do remember listening to them all the time when they first came in. My preferences have changed so much since then, I may have to give em a listen sometime soon to see if I wince or smile at the sound.

2 Likes

The qkzxhbbā€™s sig is not my preferred one : I usually lean way more on neutral/bright sets.
But with the olina and the tea OG, I am quite happy with what I have. I figured should spend 500$ to get a real improvement, so I found a way to stay in the sub-200 segment: I look for another signature.

I thought the Venus could match the target I concieved , but it seems there is too much upper-mids for what I seek.
With that in mind, I canā€™t even tell whether the Venus is good or bad. Maybe another week I will be able to compare it with my neutral sets. The comparison would be more fair.

From the qkzxhbb experience, I can say I want a little less impact and even less upper-mids/treble. I donā€™t know if it is even doable without throwing the sound out of wack.

3 Likes

Have you checked out the Z300? It might be what you are looking for.

2 Likes

I saw it and thought about it, but Iā€™m not sure it would fit my need. I add it to my radar to try and see if it matches something. Thanks for the rec.

Thatā€™s definitely fair. Iā€™m not the biggest fan of the Olina, even modded, however the Teas are absolutely incredible. One of my favorite IEMs I own regardless of price. I was lucky enough to get them at a really good 2nd hand price from my buddy @MMag05.

The Venus seems like a decent IEM for the money, no doubt about it. But from the last part of your comment, Iā€™d think something like the Aful P8 might be up your alley. But again, thatā€™s a set that cost $360 or around there so itā€™s a big pill to swallow blindly.

1 Like