IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Hahahaha. This beer looks like this to me:

:smile: :smile: :smile:

7 Likes

Iā€™d be cautious about the KZ PR2; apparently they did a stealth revision and changed part of the tuning(quotation needed) without the consent of @hawaiibadboy. I believe his words were forget about KZ.

If you have the Heyday, wouldnā€™t it be better to look for something to fill the gaps of the EA500 and Heyday?

3 Likes

hmmm now that you say that, I think it would be better to fill both voids on each IEMs.

1 Like

Very cool written, awesome. Got me very excited to test Supernova.
Getting one on loan after summer onetime. Sounds like such a refined and beautiful sounding BA set.

3 Likes

Maybe an all-BA like RSV or Studio4? :thinking:

Simgot EW200 :clap:t5: just received. If these had been released first I probably wouldnā€™t have gotten the EA500. For half its price these are now my sub 50 benchmark. We are truly spoilt for choice. These are just a smidgen behind the EA500 in terms of refinement however so theyā€™ll be sent back to Amazon. As great as they are, the EA500 have my heart and makes me realise my nitpick about the bass in the EA500 was overblown. The driver in the EA500 is a work of art in my opinion. Well done simgot

9 Likes

I finally got the Quintet in and had a brief moment to listen. Nothing offensive so far and seems like there could be some secret sauce in the detail, but too early to tell. Trying to tamp down and not hypezilla something off the bat lol. Cheers All!

8 Likes

If these had been released first I probably wouldnā€™t have gotten the EA500ā€¦
ā€¦behind the EA500 in terms of refinement however so theyā€™ll be sent back to Amazon.

did not understand why you are contradicting your own viewpoints.
Shall we get the EW200 or stick with EA500? please detail your views for us.

1 Like

and not hypezilla something off the batā€¦
endorsed in its truest spirit.
Regards

1 Like

Donā€™t get anything based of my own subjective opinion. If the EW200 came out first, I most likely wouldnā€™t have a need for the EA500 as a value proposition. But since I have the EA500 and find them more refined - I wouldnā€™t pay for them against the EW200 as the refinement isnā€™t worth the extra money to me. But since I already have the EA500, I can make an emotional decision. It makes sense in my headā€¦.

6 Likes

It makes sense. Thereā€™s no point keeping a set thatā€™s almost as good as a set you have unless you can make up the difference by selling the set but thatā€™s doubtful with the EA500

3 Likes

Best Ā£50 Iā€™ve spent. And would probably sell them for Ā£30 and thatā€™s whatā€™s the EW200 cost me. So back they go. Thatā€™s the great thing with buying off Amazon. Thankfully I havenā€™t bought any duds yet from AliExpress. Just havenā€™t found a sub Ā£50 iem to dethrone the EA500

2 Likes

Speaking of, found this to seem interesting. 2DD piques my interest for sure
Looks like an EA500 clone, both in design and from that company graph.

No clue how good Shanling are on the side of IEMs, but could be an alternative for those who donā€™t already own the EA500

Hereā€™s a public service announcement. We all spend hard earned money on our sets. Sometimes the manufacturers have bad QC whether knowingly or unknowingly. Sometimes its just a defect that occurs afterwards no fault of theirs.

This post isnā€™t to point fingers hence why the IEM will not be named. The point is if your spending your hard earned money, even more so when we hit kilobuck IEMs, you should probably get a coupler for insurance. Or better yet save the cash and send your IEMs to me for graphing free of cost. Sorry couldnā€™t resist adding this and swear its not the point of the post. Hereā€™s the most recent defect Iā€™ve ran into. I truly believe this occurred after receiving the IEM and not a fault of the manufacturer.

Most of us like to think we have great ears and can hear all the nuances and identify things off between L/R. Iā€™ll be honest this sets imbalance was not apparent on the first 10 minutes. Seems the brain does a good job balancing out the sound in the bass if the treble is fairly close. The subbass songs came on and boom it was clear. Even more so when only one IEM was in.

If you canā€™t or donā€™t want to buy a coupler at least run through a bunch of test tracks even if theyā€™re outside your normal library. Good idea to do this every so often as well while still in your warranty window. You deserve what you paid for and the companies should be honorable even if not their fault and so should you be honorable. Donā€™t be dishonest when returning an IEM for warranty when things are faulted due to your negligence or error.

11 Likes

What are some good cheap couplers?

Anyone tried sub 50$ DSP IEMs? I do need a DSP because of convenience. Iā€™m considering Quarks DSP, Jiu DSP, tanya DSP,ā€¦ Which one would be the best (all rounder) guys?

okay now i understand. so if u already have ea500 no need for ew200. if not go for ew200 instead.

1 Like

I only have Quarks DSP, but for me this set is truly outstanding for the price. I use it daily as my ā€œzoom callā€ set, but when I forgot about that it is this particular set in my ear and music starts to play (and not some 40-60x more expensive set) I really donā€™t mind it. I donā€™t hear any noise in my use scenario as well that some people complained about.
So at least with those Quarks you could not go wrong, the tonality is quite universal and clean for most genres, though some would call it a bit thin :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That would be the dayton imm-6 for around 30 usd.

Crinacle used this many years ago.

I did try this out myself before I bought the IEC711 because I could not get it to work.

IEC711 is around 75 usd.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what cheap is to you. This one is what most of all of us are using though. Itā€™s about the cheapest youā€™ll find. If youā€™re fairly tech savvy the learning curve is really easy. You also have myself and a few others in here who will help you get your own database started if you choose to go that route. Not needed however if youā€™re just going to be using it for insurance purposes.

3 Likes