IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Yep, its just much better to go for the IEC711 instead of the IMM6. You get much more accurate graphs, a lot of people can help with the setup and there is at least some comparable standard between the different graph databases.

6 Likes

Do you know what would cause a single DD to graph like this? Want to rule out anything on my end before calling faulty driver. Could it be the cone of the DD has deteriorated or an issue with the magnetic on the driver.

2 Likes

That looks like what happens to a set that has a bad/missing inner vent damper.
(at least if its a DD and just tuned acoustically and not by crossovers and stuff.)

3 Likes

Much appreciated @MMag05 and @Rikudou_Goku I think it’s time I picked one up. I had a set that I sold and the buyer told me there was a channel imbalance, which I didn’t even notice lol He showed me the graph and I was kinda shocked.

Has anyone had luck getting a set returned, replaced, or refunded from the store or the manufacturer when showing a channel imbalance? Or is it hit and miss depending on where you purchase?

2 Likes

Having a graph that shows the error is the most objective way to prove it. But some shitty sellers/companies could ask you to also record it while you are graphing it for “proof” I guess.
(FYI; this has never happened to me cuz I never had to return anything, besides to amazon but they dont question you so…)

3 Likes

Yeah it’s an awkward situation. I’ve got a good feeling there’s a lot of individuals in here whose sets have unacceptable imbalance from a manufacturing stance that they can’t hear. On one hand if we can’t hear it one could say it shouldn’t matter. My stance though is we shouldn’t accept bad QC or at least hold them to warranties they offer. Again this whole conversation is hypothetical and not based in any recent event with anyone or a company.

If you advertise a set the L/R should have a tolerance level of balance or you might as well call one channel a whole other IEM seeing it’s a set. Then if you offer a warranty and don’t honor it why even offer it as to only sweeten the deal in hopes few will have issues you never have to deal with.

In my case @shuoer has fixed one of my sets that had a DD come lose many months after the sale. Sometimes I think the higher priced IEMs are that way to help the company provide better experiences in other aspects of the company. A lot of the ChiFi or cheaper sets have to find somewhere to cut cost.

5 Likes

Thanks for the knowledge. Sounds like this could be the case as the bass doesn’t sound off like a bad driver just much lower. Pretty sure there’s no crossover involved in this set.

3 Likes

Single DD, only differencer is that V1 did not have any inner vent filter at all and V2 has it.

3 Likes

Wow that looks almost identical to the issue

Yeah but that mistake is like…such a bad and obvious mistake that it should have been found instantly if they had a set to referrence to or just simply graphed it.
(just proves that there is no testing involved…)

I know you didnt want to mention the name, but how much does that cost? If its sub 20 usd, I would be pretty meh about it, but if its 100+…that is extremely shitty…

5 Likes

You’re a god damn genius! Check it out. Yeah boyyy!

9 Likes

gokuSmile

6 Likes

Ahhh now my ears are rattling correctly on both sides.

5 Likes

So messed with tips alot on the quintet. I am waiting on some TWS horn tips since I think they may sound the best with those but for the life of me since there is no lip I have to dig that crap out of my ears or they pop off with the standard ones. I will say that after doing quick swaps with my og WUs that this is a step up in vocal clarity prob. because of the special sauce in the upper mids/treble. I have to think on timbre more before I can say something with that. They are pretty efficient. I will say they are all rounders, but they dont do anyong for poor recordings/files. They shine best on stuff like OSTs. My quality files all slapped hard so stuff like the Witcher 3 soundtrack, yaz, Manhattan transfer, daft punk etc. Gave me chills sometimes. Im running with final tips atm and they got good bass quantity, but quality is not as precise as the planar. It felt good for bass tracks, but not class leading so i think these will be fine for that, but will shine on other recordings or where there is a good contrast.

Gonna keep at it bois. Especially after i get these tips in and can swap back and forth etc.

3 Likes

Yeap that’s right

So today I was wearing my KISS shirt at the gym and thought “why not listen to some KISS radio while I’m at it”. About 2 songs in I remembered why I don’t listen to these songs anymore. Most tracks are mastered way too thin and bright to the point that you need almost basshead level bass (midbass) to bring some life to them. Maybe I need to hunt for remasters but it’s such a pain. It’s sad cause i love rocking out and I don’t get to do it nearly as often now

4 Likes

JH are they still competitive today unless you’re looking for a custom stage monitor set :heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign::thinking:…

https://jhaudio.com/iem/JHA-UIEM-SHE?fbclid=IwAR0S0YLHdkIiGg5RWvESl0jJ-JRR0JPtmHc3ChGRweQd_typhcNs6cBoOJE

Quarks DSP :+1:

Go Tanya if you want more excitement (increased bass and treble)

help me on this:

A4000 / A 3000/ FIIO FF5 / HEXA

target: upgrade over Tin T2. (retaining the W profile)
declaration: I love T2.

i have P5/EA500 (LOVE)/S12 PRO/T3+ (LIKE)/JD7.

Hey guys, today we have the Kara and DZ4, and I was very surprised at how much I liked these. Even though the Quintet is barely a month old it seems like it’s already been dethroned… (well at least for me). Anyhow, let’s just jump into it.

Starting with the KARA it has a very clean, clear, and airy signature. It doesn’t prioritize one frequency over the other, and is overall another great all-rounder set. The low-end is well-controlled and is placed more so in the background, so definitely not a bass set. If you have a lot of low-end tracks like hiphop and EDM then I would not get this as it does lack the slam and the last bit of rumble. But, the Kara does blend the bass with the mids naturally and cleanly for rock, indie, and ballads. Vocals are airy and more laid back, it does still have the note-weight because of the added bit of mid-bass, but I can be a bit light in busier tracks. They’re not going to be powerful or forward like the Studio 4 or DZ4 (more on that later), however, the vocals are open and fully extended.

Treble wise the Kara is airy, but there is a gap from 8-12K which does indeed affect the perception of details and sharpness. It’s not going to be exciting and lively sounding like the Quintet. For example, the electric guitars lack the grit and energy on the Strangest Thing, and I can see this being an issue at mid-volume as it becomes difficult to hear that region on songs like Model, which has a lot of cymbals. But, if you listen loud like me then it actually works in Kara’s favour since the details are revealed with scaling. It actually has the perfect amount of treble at higher volumes with the cymbals on Model while being incredibly smooth and still engaging . The overall timbre is also much more natural than the Quintett with the same level of separation, imaging, and staging. However, the Quintet will sound more resolving and detailed because of the extra treble which increases the perception of sharpness to the notes.

Overall though, I’d take the Kara over the Quintett because I listen at louder volumes, and prefer a more clean and neutral presentation. Versus the P8 it’s more airy, but it’s not going to have as much detail. Vocals on the other hand aren’t as forward as the P8, however they are more extended because of the increased gain region. The Kara also has more mid-bass which helps with bass guitars and the less forward midrange and vocals allows more room for more spread out imaging. If you listen at mid-volume and want the most treble detail then the P8 is still the way to go as the Kara can sound a bit boring and dull, but personally I enjoy the Kara more for it’s clear and smooth signature at higher volumes.

Moving on - the DZ4, 3 dynamic drivers, 1 radiator, how does it sound? Amazing actually, beautiful timbre, natural and coherent. It’s basically a mini EJ07 with a step down in layering and staging, and imo a direct upgrade to the Galileo with more treble extension and air. The main star of the show are the vocals, forward, full, extended, and powerful. It’s not airy like the Kara or P8, but they’re more weighted and natural sounding. The DZ4 scales super well and doesn’t sound sharp like the Quintett, and overall just top tier vocals. Now, the vocals aren’t as clear as the Kara, or energetic like the Quintet, however, they’re more powerful and forward, which is what I prefer more - it’s still clean, just not as clean. The tradeoff is that the DZ4s are heftier and more immersive, the power reminds me of the RSV, but not as open and extended because of the treble.

However, in busier tracks the DZ4s vocals aren’t as well separated, so they excel more with slower paced ballads and indie, whereas the Kara and others are better with rock, alternative, and everything else. Resolution wise the DZ4 sits around the Hexa, and in-terms of technical performance the Kara and Quintet are all going to have better separation, detail, and are better all-rounders. This isn’t a bass set, but the DZ4 has the perfect amount of low-end for what it’s going for, well-textured and has a satisfying rumble and slam, however it can lack quantity for bassheads on tracks like Earthquake. Treble wise, I wouldn’t call it dark, but it’s not as extended as the Quintett or P8 - cymbals aren’t as airy and extended, lacking the micro-details, so this is definitely a set that does better with more volume.

DZ4 Vocal Rank: A
Kara Vocal Rank: B

DZ4 Overall Rank: A (High-volume), A- (mid-volume)
Tonality: S-
Tech B+

Kara Overall Rank: A (Both)
Tonality: A+
Tech: A

Full Ranking List here: Jay Audio Ranking List - Google Sheets

Either way neither of these two are treble heavy sets, so if you’re looking for something like that go check out the Quintet. Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

14 Likes