IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Quarks DSP, while good for the price, I found the sound for music to be lacking in every dept.
Bass has no definition or physicality, treble has some spiciness in the 6-7k area, technicalities like imaging, soundstage and timbre are poor.

I haven’t tried the other DSP iems.

I would still rec other sets and an apple dongle.

Oh…Tanya…yes give more power…oh that bass and mids…just shines…dark treble of course.

I cut the cable and manually soldered two 2 pin connectors from some redundant iem (trn mt1 haha) and using 4.4 balanced to push more power to Tanya…unbelievable sound.

3 Likes

was my request too irrelevant to the forum ?

:thinking: :hushed: :dizzy_face: :woozy_face:

1 Like

Not too irrelevant, but it was q question with a lot of not very popular (at least in this forum) sets in the mix :slight_smile: You do want direct upgrade over T2? Are you considering FiiO FF5 earbud and not FH5? It is quite different experience than any IEM. Also A4000 has veeery different tuning to T2.

I believe Hexa would be the closest out of what have you mentioned.

4 Likes

thank you.
you were the only one to come and reach out.
thank you very much.

You do want direct upgrade over T2?----yes keeping the near about same sound signature. (dd+ba/ dd/all ba)
Are you considering FiiO FF5 earbud and not FH5…yes ff5 earbud.
Also A4000 has veeery different tuning to T2…oh sorry idk that.

regards

Just threw up some popular sets on FR MMagTech . Among them is the Blessing 3, Performer 5, Stargazer and EJ07M. Also, recently added some hyped sets that have been making talked about rounds including Neon Pro, Aurora and Supernova.

The group and I have been hard a work to built a community database and it keeps growing slowly. More sets to follow in the coming days from Kiwi Ears, Soft Ears, KZ and TRI to name a few. We may be behind the big boys but, you may find a few sets to compare against others they don’t have. Remember all our sets measurements can also be found on My Google Drive free for use to upload on other databases.

18 Likes

Edit: sorry for derailing with this comment. Carry away yall and sorry for the retardedness.

xenns top vs blessing 3 compared and measured by two different 711 clone couplers and 2 different sets.
either chifis qc is lacking or each 711 coupler measures massively different from others.

1 Like

2 Likes

A little of both but mostly it’s the 711 couplers that makes the biggest difference. But Chifi QC is a thing too

Not so much the averages, but the channel matching between the two sets is wildly different

The following is a composite plot of all third-party FALCON PRO measurements

So not the same IEM being measured so absolutely can’t rule out poor Chifi QC

Furthermore as I’ve said before I’ve personally owned a couple IEC711 rigs and measurements were pretty much identical when taking insertion depth variance into account.

And normally I hate bringing internet credentials into this stuff but I work on sensors on embedded electronics and they are highly uniform in that if we receive a “dud” it will measure nowhere near its intended specs. And, yes, we receive all our sensors cheap from China and well above 80% measure within the specified margin-of-error which is a fraction of a percent.

I remember in another thread someone showed THE EXACT SAME IEM measured differently on two different IEC711 rigs, however, one of the rigs supposedly was wildly off in its margin-of-error from spec!

I implore whoever does measurements to send their IEM to someone else who does measurements to compare the results as I’d imagine there will be no shock when they are similar and this should put an end to the whole “Is it Chifi QC? Or is it the rugs?” question.

2 Likes

Super Reviews and Precogvision does that.

1 Like

Not even hour ago I picked up KZ Krila (I’d forgotten I even ordered it), you know, the $16 IEM that was supposed to be “a KILOBUCK IEM”. Laugh as much as you want, but it’s actually pretty great.
IT REALLY IS.

I use it in 1, 2, 3 ON 4 OFF config - most likely the only one reasonable - which means that bass is boosted 3 dBs while highs stay the same.
I didn’t even try to combine them with stock cable and stock eartips, so my impressions are based solely on the IEM itself. Whizzer SS20 and QKZ Q1 Max is my default choice for all the KZs models I own (precisely: two).

Having said that: this set sounds very, very natural. Not sharp at all, but at the same time - not gloomy.
Vocals sit where they’re supposed to be and feature just enough energy. Highs are not harsh and do not sting. They are nicely smoothed out toward their end. Bass is succinct and accurate. I wish it was a tiny bit more powerful since even with the boost that switches provide, it’s slightly lacking. Hopefully it may improve with the burn-in.

To sum up: charging 16$ for this set feels ridiculous based on how it sounds.
I enjoy it quite more than KZxHBB PR2 - and I own the non-revised version. More than PENON FAN 2, which I really wanted to love due to it’s build quality and how well it sits in my ears.

I need to directly compare Krila to Juzear 41T. RIght now I don’t think I could pick a clear winner.

9 Likes

I checked some other graphs and the treble of the two look similar. The bass though does seem off to a few graphs despite the treble being in line. I could remeasure the Blessing 3 but the Top is no longer with me. I also checked the Supernova and that seems similar enough to a few other graphs so, I’m not sure what could be going wrong. Maybe @Rikudou_Goku would be able to chime in if something else in the chain, possibly the sound card or cable, could be influencing the bass somehow. As for the measurement I do each channel 4 times to ensure it’s consistent on each. Always using the same cable which I know was mentioned before could sway the results just not sure if this much.

2 Likes

Good to know. And, yeah, it looks like it.

Edit: one other thing I’ll add is, just thinking about it logically, it is MUCH harder to have consistency among IEMs which are comprised of multiple components each with their own specs and tolerances, e.g., drivers, (exceptional shaped) shells than it is to have consistency among an IEC711 which is essentially just a microphone in a (normal-shaped) metal enclosure.

Edit2: oops. The above is L vs R. This is the correct graph, which is what I also saw when measuring between two rigs, which is that below 1k was essentially identical:

And, sorry, one final point I’d like to add on this particular topic is that we already know that QC is problematic thanks to communities such as thing one in particular when measuring multiple IEMs of the same model on the same rig thus making the measurement rig an INDEPENDENT variable:

So, lastly, I would just like to say to those blaming the measuring rig, which I honestly don’t see much in this particular community, I find it to be in bad faith so as to detract from the fact that we already KNOW QC of unit variance is a problem among IEMs!

3 Likes

Yes, the input device of the coupler CAN be a factor. Here is proof of that by Vortex.

Thats the CCA CRA, measured with the apple dongle (EU version) (blue graph) which always had some bass roll-off problems for Vortex. He fixed that issue by changing to the USB soundcard that the ali sellers sell on the IEC711 listing page. (red graph)
(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000918270847.html )

4 Likes

Any measuring device can drift over time. That’s why you have to calibrate them regularly. If you pay enough attention, you’ll see that the gauges on gas stations are tied to a certification service, and that the certification date is written on a label somewhere.

However, I say it purely to expose my knowledge, because I know the measurements shown here have been made too close from each other to consider any drift on the measuring rig :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. That’s the same soundcard I’m using. Bought the coupler and soundcard together from that same seller.

4 Likes