IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I used a good discount! For this price it will be the bomb!!! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :grinning:

2 Likes

I absolutely am not one of the people impressed with ESTs just because theyā€™re there. Most of the tribrids Iā€™ve heard with them either donā€™t sound like anything is happening (EJ07m for example) or sound unnatural (Penon 10th).

And theyā€™re expensive for doing so little. Tribrids and all-BA sets are sets I donā€™t really care for because of their cost relative to performance (in my opinion).

8 Likes

Good and technical DDs are expensive too, GŠ¾obs :wink:

3 Likes

Yeahā€¦.they SURE are :smirk::wink::shushing_face:

3 Likes

The difference is that when a high end DD is $500, we all start off wondering if it is worth it. An EST tribrid, at the same price, would be the cheap end of the range, and pushing $1k isnā€™t uncommon.

I am with @GooberBM , certain configurations seem unlikely to be cost effective, where others are amazing for the money.

I am not a big of the EST sound either, much like I think DD bass sounds better than BA, for treble I think BA beats EST. That doesnā€™t mean it canā€™t be done differently.

8 Likes

The entire driver configuration debate is moot anyway. Driver count and type itself arenā€™t indicative of good sound after all, but what certainly contributes are both good driver quality and good engineering.

There are sets employing ESTs Iā€˜ve heard where I could not tell if they were even doing anything at all (like the EJ07/07M or EST112) and then there are sets employing them properly where they definitely do contribute to a stellar Treble response (Oracle, Variations, Monarch Mk3ā€¦).

In the End, Driver Count and Type are just two factors in an overall large and complex engineering task.

5 Likes

EJ07M and Oracle seem to have very similar upper treble, so Iā€™m not sure what difference in output could be heard beyond tuning differences:

That being said, yeah, ESTs seem like a bit of a meme overall to me; I used to think that I could hear a cleaner output over BAs for post-10khz but over time, I think I just hear good extension and implementation per the model rather than the driver type specifically. A good example is the Storm, which just sounds unified and extended; if I didnā€™t already know that it had ESTs, I would have guessed that it was all-BA any day of the week.

5 Likes

Super tweeter > BA but can be closeā€¦never tried EST so canā€™t comment.

^ +1

4 Likes

This is all very debatable and depends on the quality of the drivers and the engineering. I think ESTs are better than BAs for treble IF IMPLEMENTED WELL.
A DD bass is better than a BA bass only in pumping air, but again a lot depends. The SA6 MK2 gives me a vibration that almost makes my ear hair fall off :grinning:.
From the FR of the IE600, everyone would think that the cymbals will pierce your eardrum, but this is not the case - the sound is very balanced and gently caresses my earsā€¦ BTW I listen to the IE600 80% of the time and weā€™ll see if it gets dethroned by the monster DTŠ•900!
And one more thing - I donā€™t think there is a hybrid/tribrid that can beat DD in terms of coherence and timbre, at least thatā€™s beyond dispute :v:.
The planars still canā€™t grab me for my music, I donā€™t know why!

8 Likes

Itā€™s an interesting thing, this debate. ESTs vs BAsā€¦ I remember when I couldnā€™t tell the difference between DD bass and BA bass back in the day and while now I can distinguish them from one another, ESTs v. BAs I still cannot. I think I can hear a more airy quality in the treble if I were to A/B the Monarchs with say the SR5 for example, but that could just be a placebo. Hell, my last write-up comparing the Prestige LTD and Mon MKIII included a little EST name-drop in there. Whether the ESTs actually make a difference or not, I am indifferent about it. Which is good, it saves me money! :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

This. I completely agree with this.

4 Likes

What Thieaudio meant in that picture above, is that Sonion EST drivers (they arent ā€œrealā€ electrostats btw, they are based of Electrets) have low SPL.

(Dual EST model)

(Dual super tweeter BA)

At least 10db sensitivity difference here.

5 Likes

Agreed with what have been a said so far. To me ESTs sound a bit smoother when I A/B to BAs, but again that could just be better tuning as most EST sets cost a lot more and with more time spend fine tuning the treble especially on sets like the Prestige LTD, BUT the Helios actually have one of the best treble Iā€™ve heard, similarly to the Z1R, which is an all-BA and DD/BA, so I think tuning and crossover is most likely more important when it comes to the treble vs driver.

For example, I was able to hear the Truthear Nova recently, and its treble is fairly smooth and extended, even better than some EST sets like the UP, but again Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s tuning or what. I also agree with @GooberBM the EJ07Mā€™s EST does nothing for me :joy: - the OG EJ07 on the other hand sounds much smoother but still airy, although Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s the tuning or what :man_shrugging:

Also, Nova review done :eyes::

8 Likes

ā€œRabbit hole with loveā€ :joy: :joy: :joy:
giphy (1)

7 Likes

So I got to try out some IEMs at an audio show recently, and my thoughts on them are:

64 audio volur: exceedingly well tuned, exceedingly competent. Exceedinglyā€¦ boring? Honestly felt like Jack of all trades, master of none. Nice bass detail but I feel nothing from it? I can appreciate its technical qualities but nothing moves me.

64 audio 4s: honestly I might prefer this? More intimate, slightly more V. I think itā€™s only slightly inferior to the volur but still not my tea.

Also 64 audio has the general slope after the ear gain that leaves a pretty non-fatiguing tuning but that made it pretty boring and unengaging to me. I can see them as something I can leave on for multiple genres and enjoy everything Iā€™ve heard, but nothing I hear would really move me either.

Elysian annihilator: Wow, I can tell that the upper midrange and treble are on another level. The rest is pretty good, but nothing that really moves me either if Iā€™m being honest. Liked it more than the 64 audio stuff.

Sony ier-z1r: very impactful bass, I can see what others mean when they described it, but itā€™s very mid-bassy and and the midrange and upper midrange feels kinda hollow? Not to my taste honestly.

Fir audio radon 6: now this I get the hype. The kinetic bass thing gives an extra impact surrounding the ear as opposed to just the canal, and it gives it a much bigger sound akin to wearing headphones. Itā€™s like a hybrid of the intimacy of IEMs with the feel of headphones. The bass is also much more to my taste. It didnā€™t lose in detail to the volur but the extra feel of bass in the surrounding area gives you more of that bass feel. Not to say itā€™s a complete basshead set. Feels pretty balanced across the board and the upper midrange tuning is much more to my preference.

Conclusion: none of the kilobuck set and above feels like enough of a step up from my thieaudio hype 2 if Iā€™m being honest. Though if thereā€™s one set where I would just buy and leave the hobby with it would be the fir radon 6, but that is too ridiculously expensive.

12 Likes

I hope I like HYPE2 as much as you do. Iā€™m of the same opinion about kilobuck, thatā€™s why I donā€™t cross the $1000 mark.

3 Likes

I like it a lot, but I tend to prefer upwards ear gain too

1 Like

We are of the same mind here. There are some very good sets around that $300 mark, and the margins you are chasing just get smaller. I have heard most of the high end ThieAudio sets, and while I like most of them ( fit not withstanding ), I could easily walk away with a Tea2 and be happier. I think that was part of the goal for the Hype2, since the Elixir was their last trip into the < $500 range, and it went OK ( I still think the gain was a bit much ).

Most planars are too tinny and they tend to have a weird flat imaging problem.
The P1 Max is still my big exception to this. The S12 with some EQ can be amazing.

7 Likes
2 Likes

The S12 retuned well also bops.

Dunno why people are so afraid of midbass and lower-mids. These tunings cut them out like a plurality of fundamentals donā€™t live thereā€¦:rage:

7 Likes