IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

If you want bluetooth with an IEM you have a few ways of doing it.

Integrated solution
Like the Sony XM3 you use there are all sorts of IEMs where everything is built in. Pros are that this is generally the most portable option and the bluetooth dac is designed specifically for the IEM. Con these are really just disposable electronic waste since small non replaceable batteries mean that all integrated TWS buds have a very finite life span before the battery is useless and a massive pain to change (if possible at all).

TWS earhooks
Like integrated buds but you chose the IEM that connects to the battery+bluetooth reciever in the earhook. Newer versions come with charging cases (though they are generally bigger then integrated version charging cases). Nice thing is if the battery dies (and it will eventually) Pros the IEM part is still perfectly usable or if you want a different sound you can change IEM and get something different. The downside is that these can be finicky as all heck and have connection issuesā€¦ sometimes it is the device and sometimes it is the earhooks

Bluetooth cable
Like the earhooks but connected by a wire that goes around the back of the neck. Generally has a bigger battery then TWS (integrated or earhooks) solutions and the cable/electronic components are generally light enough that they donā€™t really hurt the comfort for most people. You can also change the IEM you attach to them, but it does need to be the right connector. The mic is in one of the better positions for good audio quality since it is not up by your ear (or behind it).

Nugget
Things like the BTR5 or ES100 are bluetooth receivers + DAC/AMP and usually have the biggest battery. They are also the biggest option in size comparison. These can have better sound quality (or have the ability to at least. The biggest downside is cable managment since you connect a full size IEM/headphone cable to them and audio cables are not always the shortest things. They also usually have added benefits such as being able to be a USB DAC for a computer.

As for the OH10 and BTR5 you donā€™t really have to worry about any IEM not being able to get loud enough to be a bad idea with the BTR5. As for balanced cablesā€¦ I guess if you generally walk near powerlines or other really strong interference sources it might make a slight difference, but IEM cables are not that long and both the SE and BAL output of the BTR5 are fine (some AMPs do have issues where one output or the other has issues (looking at ifi for this one).

1 Like

Any reason for choosing 145 over 155 tip?

I think it will be a great combo, havenā€™t heard the oh10 but it heard good things, and I love my btr5 on the road. An alternative the the IEMs would be the FH3; from what Iā€™ve heard the oh10 is rather large and heavy while the FH3 is light and, for me, very comfortable. Soundwise itā€™s a great IEM, metal with a lot of subbass.
Canā€™t speak for the oh10, but the FH3 doesnā€™t need a balanced cable IMO. I tried it but heard little difference, and what I did hear, if I didnā€™t imagine it, I liked less. I would recommend changing the cake, though itā€™s not necessary, because I find it a bit stiff and heavy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the alternatives and suggestions. it helps

thanks for the input on the FH3. Iā€™ll ask look around at local shops that might have demo units for these to test them out

2 Likes

This! Wish I could demo stuff out :slight_smile:

There are plenty alternatives at this price range. Look for a FR that appeals to you or that you can demo (prefered).

As for cable, i dont like the fh3 stock cable. I changed it right away. But you dont need balanced for it. My btr5 runs them on SE without using much volume and SE uses less baterry. Also better when you just want to use a 3.5mm dongle, just grab and go :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Helps alot going forward.

The OH10 is a basshead set, VERY bassy and it is VERY heavy. Not sure if it is a good rec for longer sessions as the weight makes it very uncomfortable.

2 Likes

I reciever a pair of tin t4, to compare with my moondrop Aria. I was surprised how the FR graphs look similar, on crinacleā€™s tool.
In the ears, they sound quite similar too, but less than the graph suggest, imo.

I didnā€™t do many tests, but I like the Aria more: something in the sound signature makes it a little more relaxed. And I found the stage bigger with Aria.

The t4 Will return to the seller with no regret from my part.

2 Likes

Try moondrop variations

1 Like

My Teas have been my best btr5 combo. Just gonna leave this here, heheh

3 Likes

Variations are way out of my budget for now. I keep things under 100ā‚¬, and still (try to) force myself to wait a few month between buys.

Iā€™m still in the discovery phase. Iā€™d like to hear different technologies (I realize Iā€™ve only bought DD for now!) And sound signatures to get a grasp at what my preferences are. Then I may be able to continue the chase at a higher price bracket.

By the time Iā€™m done with all that, I think the variations will be long replaced by something else :grin:

wait for a month or so,
there will be a new amazing iem for $50,

3 Likes

Bggar iems, right? Saw it. It will definitely be on my list if gear to follow.

2 Likes

The paint chipping from my Starfields got worse that I decided doing this to my set. Yep, I used a Superfine sandpaper to get a look like that. Planning to repaint this soon though with a Metallic blue coating.

3 Likes

Or paint it with metalic grey/silver and you have yourself a Moondrop Kxxs :joy:

1 Like

True, I mean the Starfields are like a Cheaper KXXS after all, but I want to stick to its faithful color as close as possible although I wonā€™t be able to replicate its design and logo.

Ghetto set now for sure lol :+1:

1 Like

It is but it feels so wrong having the Starfields with this look lol

Reckon itā€™s coolā€¦an unusual patina like look :+1:

2 Likes