IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Holy moly recently discovered these PEQ settings (on reddit) for my TinHifi T2 and it totaly changed them. If you have T2 give this a try: Dropbox - Tin Audio T2.pdf - Simplify your life

This is the full thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n/psa_oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets/

2 Likes

NA2 + finally arrived ā€¦ At the first listening I think they are quite underestimated!

Not my sale neither do I know the seller but thatā€™s a bargain, just wish I had a spare Ā£3k :sob:

@Kron :+1:

1 Like

KZ ZEX first impressions with photos, totally forgot about this thread :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I wish :joy: Although the Thummim interests me more personally, more my sort of signature for hip hop/electronic

1 Like

@Ohmboy I just posted a question about another Oriolus last night. Do you have experience with what is called the ā€œmidrange killerā€ the Oriolus Isabellae by any chance?

drftr

No sorry I donā€™t but maybe @M0N or @hawaiibadboy might have :man_shrugging: or maybe the og Andro is what my cheap ass uses :+1:

2 Likes

Ah Iā€™ve heard the isabelle, and itā€™s an interesting iem, although not my jam. I can see it pretty appealing for people who are fans of upper midrange, does really well there. I donā€™t really think from a technicality perspective it holds a candle to the traillii at all, but from a tuning perspective if midrange is your main sole focus it will emphasize and focus on that range more. I do think that can be a downside at times though as to me it can take too much priority over the rest of the range. So I think itā€™s good in the price range if you are after that sound, but I canā€™t really see how it would do anything more preferable over the traillii from a technical perspective (which Iā€™d place more value on), at least from my experience. But good iem for the money regardless of how it compares to the traillii

Impressions for Crassi vs Isa copied from another forum

Right off the bat, I honestly like the Crassirostris more. Generally itā€™s signature reminds me of the reborn ltd, itā€™s got a warmer, smoother, slightly richer signature with a bit of a slight W to it (although more linear and slightly relaxed in the treble than a typical w). In comparison the Isabellae is almost neutral in the bass but very forward with an elevation in the upper midrange and beyond, generally a bit more lean, a bit more initial clarity in signature, but honestly Iā€™d say the Crassirostris is more balanced overall despite itā€™s warmer lean, the Isabellae almost feels more skewed toward a specific signature/target in comparison with a focus toward upper mids. I will give it that the Isabellae does have very nice vocals due to itā€™s tuning, but I donā€™t care about vocals so thatā€™s kinda a downside to give them that much priority over everything else for me imo (So to me from a tuning perspective the Crassirostris is much more enjoyably and widely tuned, where the Isabellae is a more vocal and clarity focus that only works with some genre)

When it comes to technicalities, the Crassirostris is just more capable, it can provide more information, and also in a more effortless manner than the Isabellae. Extension wise I also think it bests the Isabellae a bit, but not by much. Generally wider stage with more holographic presentation as well that is a bit more relaxed in presentation. I will say the Isabellae is more coherent overall, but I donā€™t think itā€™s coherency outweighs the general just better technical performance of the Crassirostris. The Isabellae stage wise is more intimate and forward in presentation, a bit more lively sounding in macrodynamics but not as proficient in microdynamics as the Crassirostris. Timbre wise, I find both to be very good, although Iā€™d give the edge to the Crassirostris.

5 Likes

Tnx muchā€¦ Wasnā€™t aware of the Crassirostris but will do my homework today :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a bit of a struggle trying to find a (preferably) DD IEM sub $800 without a bass boost, treble boost, or shouty vocals. I will get there some day I guess but it may not exist yet. Will also double-check my socks and mattress.

drftr

So something fairly balanced single dynamic? Hmmm, most of the stuff Iā€™d want to mention would be above that price for a single dynamic, and other stuff that might be attainable would be somewhat hit or miss when it comes to signature. A used dunu luna might be worth a look? Had a shorter demo of that and it had a fairly balanced signature perhaps slightly midrange focused but not as far as letā€™s say the isa. Itā€™s a slightly more relaxed and sweeter sounding iem with slight subbass and upper treble roll off but not to an extreme, never harsh or shouty, good resolution and detail, nice speed and separation, good but not stand out stage, decent dynamics. My main qualm is that it might be a slight bit too unoffensive and could use a bit more bite and prominence, but it might be worth a try given what you are after. Should be able to be found used around 700 at this point iirc (overpriced at msrp, but at sub 700-800 itā€™s pretty solid).

2 Likes

Ha ha! I literally closed Crinā€™s chart of the Luna to read your response! That chart scared me to be honest. Looks horrible to meā€¦ I do know the Luna has quite the reputation though so I will read up a bit. Obviously at its new price (about $1,700 I think?) itā€™s a big No but a used one could do the trick. Budget-wise Iā€™ve been looking as high as the Softears Turii and the qdc Dmagic 3D but from reading found that no matter the budget they all have their drawdowns. So I wasnā€™t sure whether it wise to double the budget and ending up with a different trade-off.

If you have any favourites to throw in be my guest. Iā€™m trying to keep the tonality as balanced as possible because I listen to anything really. Like from Guillaume de Machaut to Slayer and back.

drftr

1 Like

Really didnā€™t have any problems with itā€™s tuning outside of extension but if you are trying to meet a specific frequency response target it might not be the best choice lol

I havenā€™t heard the dmagic nor the turii, but I did recently hear the rsv and was very disappointed with itā€™s performance, same with the rs10, so hopefully the turii is a different direction

Hmmmm, for single dynamic perhaps, I personally really liked the a8000 but itā€™s not going to be the signature you want and itā€™s not that great as an all rounder for everything (same with the jvc fw10k). I did enjoy the acoustune hs1697ti but thatā€™s a somewhat weirder iem overall, to where I wouldnā€™t suggest it in this case either. Honestly a lot of the iems I think would work well here are hybrids so somewhat not as many options

Out of curiosity, what have you tried so far and what did you like and dislike about them, and also whatā€™s your source?

3 Likes

ā€œThe sourceā€ got stolen a few months ago in Ecuador so I can fine tune any upcoming IEM. Iā€™ve been selling audiophile stuff in a previous life, am slowly making my way back into the hobby, and my reference is the Stax Lambda Pro instead of any good IEM. That beast led me into classical music and jazz but was a bit of a letdown for rock oriented genres where tones need a bit more weight and punch instead of see through clarity and resolution. Its musicality (as in rhythm, drive, engagement) was incredible though so it will be hard to find the best mix. Iā€™m thinking for curing potential coherency and timbre issues when listening to piano and orchestral works DD could do the trick. Thereā€™s nothing worse then hearing a piano transform into a completely different instrument when hitting a different octave. And for the 60%-ish rock oriented part of my collection I thought DD would do well enough all the same.

drftr

Well thatā€™s unfortunate

:+1:

Some of the really good all ba or hybrids really donā€™t have coherency or timbre issues, but some do for sure, just depends on how well they are implemented

Would agree

Ah, a potentially really solid dd option might be a dita dream xls, pretty neutral overall, very well balanced, impressive stage, fairly dynamic, reasonably organic, although I thought lower level information was a bit lacking for the price class. Although above price range, this might be worth a serious look and an keeping an eye out on the used market (although for a lot of the higher end iems, the daps/sources you want to have for them end up typically doubling or tripling so it prob isnā€™t viable)

1 Like

Thatā€™s way out of reach, mostly for practical reasons as Iā€™m permanently travelling.

Just read Klausā€™ review of the Luna and that got my blood pumping though. Hmmā€¦

drftr

What would you consider the most tonaly accurate candidates that fit my bill that youā€™d recommend me to look into?

drftr

Outside of price bracket would be the oriolus traillii, rhapsodio infinity mk2, um fusang, jomo trinity brass, fir m5, faudio project y, vision ears ve8, and a few others

Inside the price range (or close enough), something like a hidition viento or nt6 is really impressive when it comes to tuning and coherency, although not as stand out in other aspects, trying to find a used tia trio or u12t at around 1k could possibly be quite good, a used inear prophile 8 still holds up for something pretty dead neutral and well composed although itā€™s more a studio tonality that can be somewhat dryer leaning, you could try and find a used um mest mk2, if you wanted to go something new Iā€™m pretty impressed with the fir vxv, itā€™s quite good for the money for something pretty neutral while still being reasonably organic. For something a bit more on the warmer and thicker side of things while still being balanced with a less technical focus, the mmr gae bolg was pretty enjoyable around that range

Just as a thought while itā€™s under budget and not in the tier as some of the above, really consider trying a jvc fdx1, itā€™s really impressive for the money and might be worth trying for what you are after

2 Likes

Guess you have just filled in my weekend activitiesā€¦ Will continue my Luna research first, followed by the others. Tnx much for your kind help!

drftr

2 Likes

And they are on Drop now for $199.00 (I have not seen them anyware else)

6 Likes

Currently reading up on exactly those! Thanks for the price Drop :wink:

drftr

1 Like