IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

4 Likes

Elysian Pilgrim. Rockwell75 wrote: “Characteristic Elysian magic up top, best (imho) bass quality I’ve heard yet in an Elysian IEM…Gaea-esque with more meat in the lower mids/midbass and less energy in the upper mids.”. It will be 400 dollars or so.

13 Likes

Wow!! Any info on release date?

1 Like

it feels like an eternity waiting right? lol

1 Like

yo what 400 bucks, I’m hella in

1 Like

I heard Pilgrim today:

Elysian Pilgrim (prototype) - Neutral-warm leaning. Bright vocals. Good technicals. Nice bass slam. It’s fine and I may like it on more things then Anni.

Other thoughts at my thread: Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?" - #1673 by GooberBM

6 Likes

This was not expected… it is not just a retune…

These are for bassheads…

8 Likes

Yeah that’s an interesting config :thinking:

2 Likes

Timmy is working at something…

9 Likes

He did hint…

Timmy-Gizaudio

6d

Maaaaybe there’s a third collab coming out. Maybe! But let’s say I do have a third collab coming out (which I may or may not have in the works), which name should it have? :thinking:

Vote:
A) DaVinci
B) Aurelius
C) Newton

:+1:

3 Likes

That looks an awful lot like a mosaic’d Dunu logo to me…

6 Likes

I reckon that looks like Dunu’s logo. I wonder what Timmy has cooking up now

4 Likes

My current take on collabs:

13 Likes

Cool when reviewer has a well known sound preference / ability to convey that sound.

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with collabs. I’d like to think most reviewers are genuine hobbyists to some degree, and who wouldn’t want to tune / spec their own IEM?

It’s gets murky when you give up the integrity that goes hand in hand with your title as a reviewer.

9 Likes

Just experience based not philosophical. The Olina SE was a great IEM in my opinion but I can’t think of a single other collab I’d rec over a standard release, out of all that I’ve tried. So not holding my breath.

5 Likes

Ah good point, hopefully as reviewers continue to get recognized by manufacturers we’ll see some more interesting standalone / new collabs vs. Revisions.

3 Likes

With most collabs being on the “safe” side, I was hoping more brands would try and see what sticks as experiments

I don’t mind collabs because most collaborators don’t stray from their preferred sound and don’t offer a variety of tunings. So, I know what I’m getting based on their sonic preferences.

For example, Crin tends to lean Harman, with treble roll-off. HBB loves bass. Neither is my jam. But I like a lot of Timmy’s tuning preferences, so I keep an eye on his collabs.

6 Likes

I’ve never been one to dislikes collabs in general, I just think to myself, hey more IEMs that will sound good

I’ve been buying iems for as long as I can remember on amazon so my ears have been trained to enjoy whatever ungodly iem I bought that’s wack so seeing the hobby as it is now, man it’s nice knowing I can buy something random and genuinely not have to dupe my brain anymore

3 Likes

As an iem buyer, I just bought the KZ Symphony and it was total garbage. Not even KZ levels but just sounded underwater and terrible. If Timmy, Chris, Crin, got a hold of it it would have been better, I’m certain of it.

Are collabs always better? No, as I think there is a ton of crap out there. But I think it allows you to know that for whatever reason the collaborator likes that tuning a bit and that is important. It’s not a guarantee an iem is good, but I think a better chance in general like an additional level of QC.

4 Likes