IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

I was going to say Twilight

Another option if you don’t want to do the twilight would be something like the u4s

Another vote here for the Twilight. I put one on order yesterday as it’s on sale at the HiFiGo store on AE. It’s going for $781 USD. Add on the $100 AE coupon and it’s $681 before tax. You can go even lower if you have AE coins to use.

Hey guys! So Ian Fann copyright striked and took down my Magic One review :smiley:

Edit: Sorry got a little fired up

12 Likes

For people that do not know the situation (me), mind explaining a bit on it?

1 Like

Basically, the intro to my review had some cuts of him talking about how unique it is and him giving it 4/5 stars. The rest of my review is exactly like the written in my thread: JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess) - #793 by VIVIDICI_111

Now I’ll have to make another one but with him now :wink:

4 Likes

I’m still not connecting things well enough but I don’t know the ins and outs of YouTube.

My understanding:

• Your video started with clips from Ian’s video
  • He/someone manually reported it for copyright strike

That’s all I got, what are the obvious implications about getting paid / clowns?

3 Likes

Conclusion: Don’t use videos of clowns or great “experts”.
“Owls are not what they are” / Twin Peaks / :wink:

1 Like

Let me email him first before I jump to conclusions, but it should be under Youtube’s fair use because it was less than 10 seconds in total.

I just find it odd that he would strike it in the first place… because I personally wouldn’t do so. I wasn’t even talking bad about him or anyone. The video was just me expressing my opinion, it 's very close to my written one if you need more context.

4 Likes

Emotional Rescue
5*****

Pros: 1.Immersive sound signature
2. Superb build quailty
3. Very nice assessories
4. Tuning nozzles that actually change the sound

Cons: 1. Can get shouty on black nozzles
3. A very lush\thick sounding iem. Not for treble heads

My usual disclaimer I’m not an analytical measurement guru or a golden eared audiophile. I’m just an old biker who has a ridiculously large music collection and is searching for the best ways to listen to it and share my findings with the community.

The Oriveti OD200 is that rare beast, an iem that for me, connects with an emotional response.

Before I get ahead of myself

I’ll give you what Oriveti have to say about the OD200 and the technical details including a graph from Oriveti (personally I don’t look at graphs)

OD200 Design Concept: Air control is a critical factor in the acoustic design of dynamic driver earphones. It doesn’t matter how good the drivers are. If you can’t control the airflow, you won’t get a good sound. The OD200 is a revolutionary IEM with industry-leading air control technology. It features a new patent-pending Dedicated Airflow Distribution (DAD) design based on years of experience designing dynamic driver earphones. It provides an intense and enjoyable sound created by the most controlled airflow. The CNC-milled metal ergonomic design housing ensures comfortable wearing, product durability, and a premium feel. The British Racing Green color adds a touch of elegance and style to the OD200. OD200 also comes exchangeable nozzle, multiple connector options, and variety of eartips etc. It offers a complete package for an exceptional listening experience.

Features:

Patent-Pending Dedicated Airflow Distribution (DAD) Design Redefines the Sound

Solid CNC Milled Metal Body

Ergonomic Earbuds Body for Comfortable Wearing

Detachable 2 Pin Cable with Modular Plug (3.5mm Stereo, 2.5mm Balanced, 4.4mm Balanced)

Variety of Tips

Driver: Exclusive Be-Coated 9.8mm Dynamic Driver

Impedance: 16 Ohm

Frequency Response: 20 - 20000Hz

Sensitivity: 108±3dB/mW, 1000Hz

Distortion: 0.08%

Plug: Gold-plated 3.5mm Stereo / 2.5mm balanced / 4.4mm balanced Plug

Package Includes:

OD200 Earphone body - 1pair

Exchangeable Nozzles - 1pair

2 Pin Detachable Cable with 2.5mm balanced, 4.4mm balanced, 3.5mm stereo plugs - 1pc

Genuine Leather Carrying Case - 1pc

S, M, L Silicone Tips - 2pairs per size

S, M, L Foam tips - 1 pair per size

Cleaning tool

Now all the technical details and Oriveti’s promotional descriptions are out of the way, I can talk about how this $199 iem blew me away!

When I assess an iem I ignore the $ cost so in my reviews/impressions it’s either a great iem or not there’s no “good for its price range” caveats.

Why the above statement, well, because the OD200 is a Unicorn iem (using the silver filters, the black raised the upper mids and lower treble to shouty levels) . In that its tuned specifically for me(not really) every time I put them in my ears I have an emotional response, a connection to the music.
I’m in the room with the musicians. The size of the room/space is rendered perfectly I can even tell how close and in what position I am to the musicians. There’s space around each instrument. The music just flows over me. Many iems give amazing details, fantastic psychoacoustic staging and great timbre. The Oriveti special sauce is a tangible tactile 3D holographic presentation of music. This is not a set for being analytical, for dissecting each kilohertz of frequency range. No this iem is for experiencing music.

The tuning filters:

Black - Resolving, detailed shouty

Silver- more bass no shouty mids just quite frankly better.

Bass the overall sound is velvet rich, thick, lush with clean airy details. The bass is textured, dynamic with surprisingly detailed nuances. Drum skins when struck, the initial stick against skin is then followed by the dynamic flow of the sound created, just supremely satisfying. The bass while thick doesn’t encroach on the Mids which are clean, detailed and smooth.

Mids are organic, natural, with a timbre so perfect it’s like the vocalists male or female are there in the room with you. I swear I felt Lorde’s breath against my ear while listening to Royals no sibilance just breathy clear vocals

Treble is well rounded with zero sibilance just musical with enough sparkle to balance the thick dynamics of the bass. Cymbals sound natural with just the correct decay.

When testing iem I play Dire Straits Private investigations at 4min 50sec the guitar slashes across the underlying instruments it should be aggressive, sharp and dynamic. On some iems it is dulled which brakes my involvement with the music. No such worries with the OD200 it’s renders the guitars with a realistic kerrang of the guitar strings being slashed with the amplifiers distortion shaping the notes.

Another moment I look out for is at 4min 41sec a window is broken the sound of the glass breaking on the OD200 is beautifully rendered and sounds like glass breaking with a satisfying sparkle as the shards fall .

The OD200 is small exquisitely built, comfortable but very tip sensitive getting the perfect seal is important I settled on the SednaEarfit light size large. The Divinis Velvet tips were a close second. Conversely TRI Clarion and DUNU SS tips neutered the bass.

What music did I listen to?

Tracks as follows:

Delta Saints- Sometimes I worry

Lorde- ROYALS

KOVACS- Child of sin

Brothers Osbourne- Slow your roll

Kool and the gang- Get down on it

New Model army & Sinfonia- Isolation

Santana- Dealer/Spanish Rose

Hall and Oats- She’s Gone

Steely Dan- Black Cow

Shawn Mullins- Anchored in you (Souls core revival)

Silksonic- Leave the door open

Simon and Garfunkel- Sonds of silence (sibilance monster)

Sinéad O’connor- nothing compares to you

Iron Maiden- Rime of the ancient Mariner

White buffalo- The woods

PRINCE- When doves cry

Michael Jackson- Billy Jean

Stevie Wonder- living for the city

Issac Hayes- Never can say goodbye

Big Boi- kill Jill

Jack Johnson- Better Together

Lady Blackbird- Black Bird

Jane’s Addiction- Jane says

Steve Vai -Bad Horsie

DIRE STRAITS- Private Investigations

Sting- English man in

Metallica- For whom the bells toll

RAMMSTEIN - Du Hast

Adele- Hello

Its safe to say that the OD200 plays well across most genres I don’t know about classical or ambient music as I don’t listen to those genres but the tracks above which have orchestras performing with them sounded great .

When it comes to synergy with sources, I was particularly enamoured with the Hiby R6 GEN iii it was a marriage made in heaven. The perfect balance between bass dynamics with depth and airy details.

The OD200 is not difficult to drive but it does scale with power adding a smidge more bass dynamics and a touch more air.

The only source I didn’t like when using was the Hiby RS2 which somehow made the OD200 sound congested in the mids.

Sources used:

IBasso dx170

Shanling H5

Shanling M6 Ultra

Sony Zx507

Sony Nw-WM1A

HiBy R6 111

HiBy R8

HiBy RS2

CAYIN N3PRO

CAYIN RU6

IFI GO BLUE

FIIO BTR7

FIIO M15

Comparisons with other DD iems.

Best is a word I tend not use, it’s such a subjective area YMMV, what I will say is that the OD200 has quickly become a favourite alongside my much more expensive DD iems such as the Meze Advar with which they share an organic sense of space and clarity, with detail retrieval and layering that is excellent, the low-end is impactful, fast and realistic on both i just prefer the OD200 extra touch of atmosphere.

IKKO OH5 ASGARD
Has its own unique timbre and tonal balance that I really enjoy but its transients and details are no match for the OD200 which has a superior sub bass and more open mids with more distinct layering and detail retrieval

Now DD iems I consider to be equals in my collection that do something better but all have little idiosyncrasies that stop them being perfect for me :
Dunu Zen
FiiO FD7
Sennheiser IE600
Acoustune HS 1655 CU

Don’t get me wrong I love the above selection of quite pricy DD audiophile ear jewellery.

The thing that amazes me most about the OD200 is that it has an ability to faultlessly place me in the music rather than just hear it and that for me is unique. Which is all the more impressive at the price of $199.

I unreservedly recommend you try them out.

They can be purchased here HiFi Dynamic Drivers in Ear Monitors (oriveti.com)

14 Likes

One of the reasons it is frowned upon in the YouTube community for one creator to strike another is that 3 of these automated strikes can lead to a full channel removal and account termination. It also demonetises the content itself.

So it is a little more serious than just asking for the content to be removed by messaging the creator which is the normal course of action.

14 Likes

Thanks for filling some of the gaps for me!

3 Likes

I think striking the video unnecessarily is taking things way too far. What the hell, Iann.

6 Likes

Can we be sure he did it vs some AFUL stan? Some of these brands have ridiculously partisan support.

I agree it’s the most likely assumption, but isn’t there a chance Iann would say “That wasn’t me what the heck?”

Like I’ve already shown I’m pretty ignorant of how this all pieces together on YouTube.

2 Likes

No it’s 100% him youtube tells you here:

9 Likes

There we go, thanks.

3 Likes

So wack - he could have easily reached out to have it removed…

3 Likes

@VIVIDICI_111
Learn some manners young man :joy::man_facepalming:

4 Likes

My personal prediction is that there’ll be a fair few of these in classifieds soon.

• Folks want to hear just how good a single BA can be tuned

• folks are very impressed by how well it is tuned (and how impressed they are spurs more sales)

• folks realize after a while that “better than they would have expected from a single BA” is still worse than their hybrids, quality DDs and planars, etc.

• folks put them up for sale as they don’t have a real place in their rotation even though they’re impressive

• repeat

As far as the Ian thing - I can see some symmetry here. He expects communication before having clips used, you expect communication before a copyright strike. I’m not saying the expectations are of equal weight, but no harm in increased communication overall.

16 Likes

First honest video from Ian

2 Likes