IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Tnx much… I’m particularly impressed (and intrigued) by the way the PP8 seems to outclass basically each and every other IEM in comparison when handling complex orchestral pieces.

I have read a couple of reviews about one of your other favourites, the VxV, as well by now. Possibly a little too warm but it seems to be an excellent product for half the price. Will also do some homework on the Andromeda later on.

drftr

It depends on what you compare it against, imo start putting it against some of the higher end or equal prices iems out there and it starts to trade blows or lag behind, but if you are only looking at comparisons below it might be that way

Hmmm I really don’t think the vxv is really warm personally, I found it more on the cleaner to neutral side, I do wish it had a bit more warmth and body to the low end at times lol. I do think the other fir iems are warmer though, like the M series, but the vxv was a deviation from their house sound from my experience

1 Like

My custom shell/logo GS Audio ST1 has arrived. Here’s the unboxing and first shots:

Unboxing

21 Likes

Those things look sweet!

2 Likes

So beautiful! Everything is perfectly matched: the faceplate, the wires, even the connectors! That makes me think about the things I could do with a custom faceplate…

1 Like

Tanchjim Echo TWS

5 Likes

Thanks bro. Yes, everything turned out great :pray: also the cable matched real good :slight_smile: lucky snowflake :smiley:

2 Likes

I am looking at doing another mult-iem comparison. I am thinking of Unique melody 3DT, Tanchjim Oxygen, jvc fdx1/fd01, sennheiser IE300.

Not sure I can swing all four either budget wise and/or into one video. Does anyone have any preferences of this group that you would like to see me compare?

2 Likes

FDX1 Green filters vs O2

3 Likes

It would be cool if you did a source comparison with the Timeless too…SS v’s Hybrid/Nu-Tube and see if I’m the only one to get it :man_shrugging: … those bad boys really :sparkles: with a Hybrid imho :+1:

2 Likes

@Ohmboy This is fundamentally blocked by funding. See what I did there? :wink:

I honestly have not found enough difference between sources to care for most of the headphones I like. And it may be that I have gravitated toward headphones that sound amazing on anything.

Currently, I am limiting myself to things that power well on Qudelix. All these do.

I am toying with re-adding an ifi iDSD micro signature. But it would exist purely for review purposes. It just wasn’t worth using for actual daily listening. And, at this moment, I would rather put that money toward IEMs to compare.

3 Likes

The UM 3DT vs any of the others. I have the 3DT but always interested in hearing new/different perspectives, for different libraries etc.

1 Like

I have the og iDSD Micro and my DX300 trumped that x10 as a source for my sets, the amp12 upped it a tad…DX312 + xDuoo MT-604 + Timeless =

5 Likes

I found the micro signature beat out the original dx300 by a hair (on dunu zen, audeze euclid and dusk at the time, as well as some over ears). never had the amp12 only the original included one. And, I think that came down to power availability not “quality”. Those two are my favorite sources that I have heard as well as the xduoo ta-30, which had similar benefits to those two (but not so much iem friendly. wonderful for overly analytic planars).

But, I hate everything else about daps (tried a bunch at different price points the dx300 being the big boy). Buggy, inconsistent, broken, bulky, annoying things. The dx300 external buttons routinely stopped working until I rebooted the thing. The m11 plus worked the best (oh! except it tended to over heat becoming too hot to hold), but the sound was snooze worthy. Way too clean, transparent and analytical.

I have very little tolerance for stuff that doesn’t “just work”.

1 Like

Me too :+1: nothing on my DX300 has caused me any issues apart from the rubbish supplied case :grimacing: faultless otherwise…when it comes to IEM’s it’s plug 'em to a phone and party…I guess that’s what it should be but as we know that ain’t always the case…transducers respond differently and probably no more than planar’s (a P1 Junkie) Timeless likes a bit of a :metro: :smile:

1 Like

Do you stream or use local files? A lot of my problems evolve around crappy android apps. I only stream, and man does that reduce the UX experience dramatically.

The best one was honestly the sony zx507. But it’s so underpowered for anything that isn’t the dunu zen. Also, its “20 hour battery” was more like 4. Ugh.

1 Like

Only stream buddy that’s why I’m awaiting L&P to get their shiz together :pray:

1 Like

Received my Blon Bl-max today and am listening for 2h now.
My first totally plebeian impressions:
These are phenomenal for the price of 31$. Sound is bass heavy but still smooth over the whole spectrum. The fit is very comfortable. I feel I could listen all day without issues…
Very pleasing fun sound signature no shrillness. Simply non fatiguing.
Even with the heavy bass they are capable of, the bass does not overshadow other ranges.

They are much better than the KZ DQ6, imho. Could these be the new budget Blon kings? Possibly. These are my 1st Blons so I can’t compare. Very impressed with what Blon created here.

5/5 in this price range.

8 Likes

The question being… Would you prefer 467 Blon Bl-max over 1 Happy Plugs… :wink:

drftr

Hows the weight?