IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

The aladdins are my endgame set. Incredible vocals

3 Likes

any good USB cable for audio (I need it for Mojo) to recommend?

Thank you, those two statements have put into words the reason why I rarely get excited about BA sets in general. Vocals aren’t the part of the music I listen to. I am definitely there for the instruments, so the timber probably matters more to me, and that trade off isn’t one I want to make. I had recently came to the clear determination that DD and planar were what I kept putting in my ears, but I wasn’t sure why.

I am certain that the Aladdins sound great compared to anything with a BA in my current collection. The ThieAudio Legacy 3, is the best hybrid set I have any real time with.

1 Like

Glad to help! It really isn’t bad at all, but other sets are even better for timbre, if that’s your main priority. Almost always DD sounds best, for my taste in timbre at least. It’s one of the reasons I’ve been reaching for the Serial most of all lately, and will be excited to receive the Olina (based on the Oxygen when a good fit is finally got).

On a separate note, but still about a DD set at least, I cannot understand the response to the CRA. Across the board it’s being heralded as wonderfully tuned and a big change in KZ’s approach.

All I can hear in it is the usual KZ metallic sharpness, and really nothing remarkable about the bass beyond its quantity. It sounds clean I suppose, but sizzly and not at all an appealing tonality to my ears. Certainly not natural, and not worth the fatigue.

5 Likes

I am getting Olina and CRA in the same shipment.

I am guessing I won’t really listen to the CRA anytime soon, since I really ordered it out of curiosity. My favorite KZ is still the ZS10 Pro, and the OG ZEX is enjoyable too. For most of the others I agree about the sharpness. If my middle aged ears are sensitive to that, I am surprised that customers half my age think they sound acceptable. I know better, but nobody ever sees themselves as the outlier. :wink:

1 Like

I think @Szymon would agree with you: The Crack Spot - Szymon's Impressions Thread - #7 by Szymon

4 Likes

What ear tips do you use for your aladdins?!

1 Like

So far I haven’t found a better balance (and treatment of the bass) than the stock tips.

Oh ok, found them a bit uncomfortable and I’m using the CP100 in small and get a perfect fit

These are the most expensive iems I have bought and absolutely love them for my library. Such a mature tuning.

Thanks for the reply

2 Likes

Hey, umm, this might seem somewhat off-topic, but do you think Ikko OH10 is still relevant/worth it nowadays?

I’m looking for an IEM with quality bass without breaking the bank, and after much research I’m still ending up on a 2 year old set. I guess good sound doesn’t get old, but I’d have thought the industry would have moved forward in the meantime.

Yet, for $150 it’s still OH10 I’m finding as the best bet for a fun and somewhat technical sound.

Any other ideas? Cheers!

2 Likes

My OH10 is the only set below $300 I own, that is still in my normal rotation. It has a great bass and I just overall like it for fun listening, where I don’t listen for every detail.

I rec it a lot, especially at the price.

5 Likes

I still see a lot of people recommending the OH10.

On a similar price bracket and somewhat to consider, would be the FHE from Fiio (Crinacle’s version of the FH3).

I have given my impressions in the FHE Hifiguides post, and I agree with Super* Reviews in how he describes the sound, except that he considers that it is too much bass and I still consider that it could have a bit more a keep the good tuning.

4 Likes

I agree. Drop selling it at 149 and i think that’s excellent deal & value for OH10

2 Likes

I need some serious help. I am stuck in between so many IEMs at the moment, I can’t decided. I can’t make a new topic because my account is so new. Right now, I’m in between the Monarch Mk2, Clairvoyance, the UPs, or a used MEST mk2 for around $1,000.00. My cap is $1,000.00 and I’m just trying to figure out - Is the Monarch MK2 worth the extra few hundred over the other options? My most important aspects I’d be looking for is resolvability and a good, thick, punchy mid bass response. Warmth isn’t an issue, I tend to prefer it and my ears are not too sensitive to high end. Any input from someone who’s tried all of em? Or maybe another set i’m not mentioning?

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone gotten the Tanchjim Ola yet? I’m very curious about it.

1 Like

Instead of Clairvoyance, take 07m Kinda Lava. Or go straight to Mon mk2 or Mest.

1 Like

I totally forgot to mention the Kinda Lava, that is also in the running as well. Considering Chris Tuned it and his library and preferences are similar to mine, I’d be happy to buy blindly. Thanks, man!

2 Likes

If you’re looking for “thick”, Monarch mk2 or the MEST MK2 aren’t it, which seems to be the aggregate opinion across most reviews. Resolving and tactful, yes, but for being thick/punchy they may not top the list (someone with hands-on experience with these could likely give a better explanation.) The Clairvoyance is supposedly a bit better in that regard, but I find the one I own, the XENNS UP, to be one of the thickest/punchiest in my collection. The EST implementation is something I like with clear-but-subdued highs, but some might take issue with its perceived resolvability.

If the MEST MK2 is in good condition, I would be tempted to grab that with its technicalities. The XENNS UP I can give a huge rec., but the EJ07m variants would be something to check out as well.

2 Likes

@comfylife Hmmm interesting. Thanks, man. This is definitely something I have to take into consideration. I’m currently driving the Timeless as a daily and while it is by far the best sounding IEM for me to date, I do wish the Mid bass was a little less rolled off, almost blunted if that makes sense? Everything else is pretty much perfect for me. $1000 is a huge chunk of change for me, I doubt I’ll ever spend this amount on an IEM ever again so I really want to choose the right set.

I sold my Timeless, but if there’s anything I liked definitively, it was how fluid it was with bass gradations. I get that experience with my over-ear planars, so having something portable was a huge plus. I ultimately let it go because of fit and having lackluster staging and imaging compared with my other sets. The MEST MK2 is also known for its fluidity in that region, but also faults in the exact same area when it comes to slam/punchiness.

I’d take a look at the EJ07m Kinda Lava and XENNS UP and gather some opinions/ask before making a final call, imo.

One interesting suggestion, if you ever found it at sub $1k like I did, was the qdc 8SL. It’s my literal endgame set (unless something planar in the sub $2~3k range comes along with godlike tonality) and shares a lot of similarities with the UP, while also being incredibly resolving (at or around the qdc Anole VX level or performance.) Showed me not to underestimate BA bass, but I wouldn’t suggest the blind-buy.

1 Like