IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

They seem to have a few iems on taobao.

Single DD 96 usd

DD + 5 BA 219 usd

Hybrids and BA only
110 - 274 usd

Are you sure you mean voltage domain?
Those are useful when finding the right transistor for a job, outside of that?

When measuring Audio, you need a lot of vertical resolution. So your average cheap 8-bit scope will not tell you much (except for pass/fail type of measurements).
12-bit vertical resolution, you may start to see interesting behaviour, you are getting up there in price though.
Ideal would be 16-bit (and beyond), which is usually in the car-money territory.

2 Likes

Yes, right not a typical keysight one :sweat_smile:
I hope someone designing DACs in PS audio or in some other high end audio manufacturing companies have something better than just that that could prove the point from their side as marketing material to all those measurement based audio hobbyists

For my pension time I hope to get rich enough to spend money on suches as well.

I don’t get the first point though

You guys really love this stuff, and while I absolutely don’t understand what the hell you guys are on about right now, I can appreciate the hell out of your enthusiasm. :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

To be honest, they’ve stopped trying to do that because they know it’s a lost cause. It would be catering to a market that really wouldn’t be interested in their products regardless and are just going to buy whatever tops the charts each month. Not worth trying to dip to the level of those who complain for the sake of complaining and won’t consider something of that level in the first place. There are plenty of higher end companies that have taken a chart topping measurement focused approach with great results, as an example the mola mola tambaqui was fantastic in both measured performance and actual sound quality, some other dacs I’ve heard in a similar measurement range such as let’s say d90, not so much. On the other side of things, I’ve heard some dacs that looked terrible on paper sound fantastic in person (lots of options to pick from here but let’s say totaldac), and then others that sounded as bad as they looked (borderpatrol dac) lol.

A lot of these higher end mfg do care about measurements, they just don’t care about participating in the pointless race and using them as a selling point, more using for designing and checking products internally since they know it’s not really relevant when it comes to trying to judge a product off it’s measurements. As another example, I ended up getting a pair of speaker amps that were designed solely based off measurements, the designer didn’t even listen to them until he was setting them up to be shown off at a show for release. The difference was that he was shooting for his own target that he developed though his research, of what he thought was the most realistic and accurate measurement profile rather than something to just show big numbers

The TinHiFi T2 DLC is is competent in all respects and is a great addition to TinHifi’s lineup. I could not ask for more from an IEM with a street price of around $50, and I am happy to recommend the T2 DLC to new IEM listeners.

My full review is available here on HiFiGuides and on my blog.

3 Likes

My Kinda Lava Lives Again!! Thank you @shuoer for helping through the confusion and assisting in all matters including the swift repair and return.

download.jpeg

17 Likes

Ohhh hopefully they get to my EJs soon as well. I am now IEM less as I ended up selling the Moonlights and the right OG Tea is still dead.

Might try to reach for OG Teas again but I am tempted by all the other options in the $2-$300 range…especially given 11.11.

I was thinking either OG Tea, Tea 2 or Serials?

Already a fan of my Serials of course… but tonight I had a more powerful amp to try (Xduoo XD05 basic) and I was gobsmacked. (Also had a chance to confirm what people say about the OG Fans and how much they depend on power scaling to shine).

2 Likes

I’ve got some incoming sales my friends. Will be posted shortly. Prepare your bank account because one of them is a gem and myself and surely @nymz, who sold it to me, would love to see someone here call it home.

7 Likes

You selling the KL??

Not KL PM’d you. Ya know just in case you want first go :wink:

2 Likes

Alright - you and Nymz and everyone else can go to hell … where were you guys when I had money :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes

Was excited for the Ehiku since it’s 3DD+4BA at $200 but that graph…

2 Likes

Oh man, that’s such a bummer. It’s definitely unique though

2 Likes

What a strange gain region followed by a damn drop off. Reviews should be interesting …

1 Like

Well, description says it’s based off Harman but…

Yeah, shouty :joy: in all seriousness- it’s very different. So maybe it’ll be interesting at least? Which honestly, at this point, I’ll take. How many good to great IEMs are there around $200 with similar tuning? Too many. We need variation, dammit!

3 Likes

True, they do be looking the same these days…

1 Like

These sure are pretty.

I think the drastic price increase is a little meh, in my opinion, but honestly- the cable is beautiful and along with the new style case, I wish I didn’t already have the OG Timeless already.

3 Likes