IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Have you review it?

I have not yet. I loaned them out to @rattlingblanketwoman and I just got them back. I’m going to do that soon, now that I finished up my Rikubuds review

3 Likes

Oh absolutely. But

1. it’s not like you have to buy a dedicated DAC/AMP to EQ them. It literally comes built-in!

2. there’s loooaads of online EQ custom profiles for it from Reddit to YouTube to Headfi

Oh I also just want to say, about them is they can also handle pretty much every aftermarket tip since the nozzles are big and long enough with a lip. Definitely can’t say the same about Samsung and, of course, Apple’s TWS buds.

1 Like

Anyone buy this pkg? Thoughts

C$ 119.71 | HAKUGEI Sea-elf.Double magnetic drive Modular plug 5 to 1 0.78mm mmcx
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtYhktG

Dark is the enemy for most mammals and nightmarish in iems. But can be a blessing for some :slight_smile:
Final e1k and the whole e line without the wouldn’t make it to current days if it didn’t have pitch black background and 3d imaging as a result. But who is remembering same pitch black backgrounded BGVP Zero?

My little write-up on TWS ANC IEMs: Nymzreviews.com official thread - #6840 by ttorbic

Now that it shot up in price to $85 USD, I think I’ll pass. I was looking at the Sea Elf a few days ago when it was first posted on AE and it was being offered at $65 which was a good deal considering that cable alone I think was worth something like $70. Some guys over on head-fi took the chance, so we’ll have to wait and see what those guys think.

1 Like

Super interesting. Hopefully it turns out well. I think the ie600 is a bit overpriced so this could be a good option

2 Likes

I just got the Yanlin Moonlight today. There doesn’t seem to be too much written about it here. I’ll give some impressions after i spend some with it. So far, I’m enjoying it running some test tracks and playing acoustic roots and some orchestral music. Nothing is making me think “ouch” yet. The male vocals are crisp. The bass is punchy, extended just the right amount. Better low end than the Helios and the S8 I listening to before.

9 Likes

Delivery day always feels nice.
Have been eyeing this brand and their cables for a few months and just decided to pull the trigger.

Hakugei Golden Bodhi & Hakugei Kuro

Dunu S&S as well as Tanchjim T300 tips came in at the same time. Trying out the S&S tips on the Monarch’s now and they are extremely comfortable, very similar to the translucent Cylinder tips that came packaged with the Timeless except they have a glossier finish, rather than a matte, textured finish. Unsure how this affects the FR but these seem to boost mid bass punch to my ears. Happy listening, gents :handshake:

16 Likes

Yo that looks AMAZING on the Monarch :star_struck:

4 Likes

Seconded :+1:t5:

2 Likes

thats a beautiful pic man! You can really turn headphones into art

2 Likes

Thank you so much, gentleman :call_me_hand::handshake:

It’s a damn near perfect match for the Monarch’s, happy with the purchase for sure.

2 Likes

Just grabbed dirt cheap 2nd hand Cadenza today. After 40 minutes of listening I can tell I am really impressed with the tuning and the build quality.

They may be for IEM what Vidos are for buds (being 35$ against 5$ of Vido obviouslt). On the other hand I can imagine Salnotes Zero or Chu or whatever is TOTM now may be even better value for safely tuned IEM.

Technicalities, staging, layering, bass extension are enough for the value or just slightly better. But the tuning makes it crazy to think it costs so little even as compared to something which was considered well tuned last year like KZ CRN.

I would probably end up giving it further to someone in few weeks as I did with most of those KILLER BUDGET sets (don’t blame me, but with limited listening time I have I guess I would prefer MEST, Serratus or Erasmus), but there is really nothing to complain about this Cadenza and I would love to be at the beginning of the journey right now looking for something below 50$.

11 Likes

Great timing, I just finished my comparison on the Quarks DSP/Cadenza, and although Cadenza is excellent, for my money, I’m taking the Quarks DSP>Cadenza/Waner and y’all can fight me here :triumph::joy:

8 Likes

Go for it, brother. Hot takes for hot cakes!

1 Like

I really the concept of having those memes attached to the spoke words, though for me as non native English speaker it sometimes is very hard to focus on both at the same time :slight_smile:
Are you planning on getting Tanchjim Zero DSP? It is also below 20$ and highly praised at chifi groups at the moment. As for now it seems to be just IEM with dongle integrated, but they say the preset DSP or at least some small 5 bands EQ would start to work in the next firmware update

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll take that into account for the next video :slight_smile: And no I haven’t! I can only find the graph for the regular Tanch Zero, is there a difference in tuning between the 3.5mm and DSP version?

Based on the graph I think I’d probably prefer the Quarks DSP more, assuming tuning didn’t change.

1 Like

DSP tuning is insane. It lacks everything else, but for 15$ without a need for a DAC? You can make all your normie friends happy with lunch money

2 Likes